Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Players named on forum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
I agree with you there, but there is no difference in you or I calling the rumour file on 3AW and saying something that may not be true.

Players can be disgusted; they enjoy the life style and the huge income that comes with the profile. When something does not go their way they do not like it.

On naming the three players, how can it be defamation if it is true?

The players are protected and have many advantages over you and me. We would not get three warnings for using illicit drugs.

Players can bitch and moan all they like, how many cases do you want me to list where because they are a AFL player they are slapped across the wrist for their indiscretions. I think I could bring at least 20 from the past 5 years. The recent Cousins case is a good example. The judge even admitted he was a West Coast supporter. $900 fine, would we have copped the same penalty.

They cannot have it both ways.

Personally if a player sooks over what is said on a fan site he should be seeking a counselling service.

To add, I would prefer only legitimate email accounts to be able to sign up on forums. (No accounts such as hotmail etc). That would cut the crap a fair bit. People who use free mail accounts do so because they believe they can get away with anything.

I respect what your trying to say mate but i still feel at times there is so much blatant nastiness on most fansites.
And we do at all times have a resposibility to conduct ourselves in a fair and reasonable manner.
If some one has named the players which they obviously have they have broken the law because in this case an injunction was sought not to name the players involved.

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:00 am

Although (as of this year) truth is a complete defence to defamation in all Australian jurisdictionms, it has nothing to do with defamation.

This is about contempt of court. The injunction prevents anybody from disclosing the names. Breaching that injunction is contempt and a serious criminal offence. The admin/mods of that forum appeared to me at least to be completely reticent about people naming names. They have put themselves in a very serious situation.

There is also another (albeit weaker) argument that anybody disclosing the names is in breach of disclosing obtained in a position of confidence, for which the aggrieved parties can seek an equitable remedy. ut I doubt the AFLPA will pursue this. I think it's more about muscle flexing to show that they are serious about the issue and will pursue all legal options in chasing down anybody trying to tarnish players' names.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:47 am

Kypreo is correct - there are a number of competing considerations:

1) Contempt of court
A judge has issued an order that the actual players are not to be named. It is a criminal offence to do so.

IF YOU NAME THEM IN A POST AND IT IS DISCOVERED, WE WILL HAVE NO HESITATION IN PASSING ON YOUR DETAILS TO THE AUTHORITIES.

2) Defamation
As this thread has shown, there are already players being named that are not actually the players in question.

IF YOU NAME AN INNOCENT PLAYER AND THEY DECIDE TO SUE, WE WILL HAVE NO HESITATION IN PASSING YOUR DETAILS ON.

You have been warned.
Zeke Scorpio

Growl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:55 am

joffa corfe wrote:
we do at all times have a resposibility to conduct ourselves in a fair and reasonable manner.

What's the definition of irony, Joffa? Laughing

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:10 am

Zeke wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
we do at all times have a resposibility to conduct ourselves in a fair and reasonable manner.

Good point mate

I guess the irony is i have no hesitation in posting under my name, for good or bad i dont need to hide from anything i have to say!!

Zeke Scorpio

Growl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:43 am

joffa corfe wrote:
Zeke wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:

Good point mate

I guess the irony is i have no hesitation in posting under my name, for good or bad i dont need to hide from anything i have to say!!

Who's hiding? Shocked

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:51 am

Hmmmm... one of those players was in my dream team!! Stupid pick. I was wondering why he wasn't in the seniors!
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:53 am

Stay on topic mate Smile

The ones who broke the law by naming the players on the football fansites were hiding most probably under some ' donald duck ' name, give them the oppertunity of doing so under there real names they would of run a mile. Bet they're thinking a little differently now Smile

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 pm

People can hide all they want, but it's usually fairly easy to identify people who post on internet forums.

I admin a large forum (12,000 members) and I would have no hesitation in forwarding IP addresses logged against the users who posted up the info to the authorities if it meant saving my own skin. It doesn't get the mods off the hook, because they have editorial control and apparently, and I may be wrong, failed to exercise it by not removing the thread. They can be deemed a publisher in these circumstances. But if they forwarded the IP addresses it would be a fairly simple process for the authorities to identify the individuals involved.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:02 pm

What would happen to ya if you were under 18 and posted it? or didnt post it on your computer, could you be caught?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:02 pm

KYPREO wrote:
People can hide all they want, but it's usually fairly easy to identify people who post on internet forums.

Many are ignorant of this fact. Rolling Eyes
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 pm

I don't care who the players are. The whole thing is a joke. I don't care if players have an occassional bong on the weekend, it's their business and nobody elses. Let's face it, the biggest drug problem in sport, and in society generally, is not dope, ecstacy or cocaine, but alcahol. Remember, it caused the death of the great Darren Millane. But because of all the money from sponsors, the AFL doesn't want to know about it. The AFL should only be testing for performance enhancing drugs, because that's cheating. Anyone found cheating should be named and suspended for 1-2 years.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Two bongs don't make a right though rudeboy.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I don't care who the players are. The whole thing is a joke. I don't care if players have an occassional bong on the weekend, it's their business and nobody elses. Let's face it, the biggest drug problem in sport, and in society generally, is not dope, ecstacy or cocaine, but alcahol. Remember, it caused the death of the great Darren Millane. But because of all the money from sponsors, the AFL doesn't want to know about it. The AFL should only be testing for performance enhancing drugs, because that's cheating. Anyone found cheating should be named and suspended for 1-2 years.

Excellent post.. the drinking culture ' in the AFL is disgusting and i agree it would be nice to see something done about it , however your comments re drugs are ignorant, long use bonging damages the brain, cocaine is an evil and addictive drug much the same as ectasy, they destroy families , kill people, and the flow on effects cost the community millions of dollars.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:22 pm

It can potentially be contempt of court. But who is going to pay if a forum goes to court? Based on that, it's not even worth the risk.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: