Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick the Pieman-You are Kidding

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legga 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 4:33 am
Post subject: Nick the Pieman-You are KiddingReply with quote

Nick, I've just picked myself up off the ground after reading in another post that your opinion is that Josh should not have been taken as 1st Draft choice in '99.

Nick, we all have our opinions on recruiting, but seriously, are you on something? Josh would have been taken as 1st draft choice the year before, except he missed out by 20 days or so in that draft (too young). When has the expectations on an 18 y.o. been as great as they are on Fraser?

He was easily the standout player of that draft, and don't forget that 18 months prior to the draft, he had Glandular fever, so he didn't play all of the TAC cup season, so that also put him out of football and the opportunity to continue weights sessions.

Think of the players from last seasons Rising star, and ask yourself, how many 2nd year players in the season gone performed at the level that Josh did. None! As well, some of the nominations from the rising star year when Josh came second had been at clubs for 12-24 months previous, it's just that they hadn't played more than 10 games.

You are entitled to your opinion, as we all are, but to suggest that taking Fraser at No.1 was a mistake is staggering. Please, don't apply for a job as one of our recruiters.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 7:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said.
I must admit that it was the first time since prior to the draft that I had heard anyone even suggest that Josh Fraser wasn't the most obvious first draft choice since the draft began.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 7:37 am

Sheedy said he rated Jonathon Brown higher than Josh in the 99 National Draft. Josh was a standout and should of been the first draft pick.

In Skob We Trust

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 11:09 am

Did Sheedy say that before or during the draft?
Or did he say it this year?

Johnathon Brown will be a very good player and I would love to have him at Collingwood, but Josh looks like being someone that comes along once in a generation.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:23 pm

Sheedy said that about Brown before the draft. There is not much difference between Josh and Jonathon.

I am concerned about how the coaching staff is playing Josh though. He is being asked to play in a position that is physically beyond him.

As a result of this, he is taking a physical battering. We took years off Gavin Brown's career, please lets not do it with Josh.

In Skob We Trust

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 4:11 pm

Calm down fellas..
Yes, he is excellent.
Its probably just my biast opinion talking because I have never really liked ruckman and those type of tall players. Yes i reckon he will pay divedends.
Its because i love midfielders and forward players like Adam Ramaunaskas and Matthew Pavelich who were in the draft.

Don't get me wrong though, i like Josh, he is a gun.
And will get better...

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 6:55 pm

SHEEDY

CAN

GET

STUFFED !!!

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

PiesPremiers 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 7:21 pm

josh has been the best number 1 draft pick in a while..

in a sense, collingwood were lucky. we could have picked up a travis johnston or a des headland. who are they??? 2 number 1 draft picks in previous years, when was the last time you saw them?

Dan

MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:44 am

Good point re Josh RTC but unfortunately he is not the only one asked to play against bigger and harder opponents before his time. That is a factor or where oour list was 3 or 4 years ago and the drafting required to get us oout of that giant hole we were in. Josh at least seems to take it in his stride. He is a very impressive young man.

If want an illustration of how our list effect the players, look at the Lonnie boys. Early on Ryan was looking like recruit of the year. He tired and faded. His brother had an easier introduction and played good footy late in the year. On Saturday he, along with Shaun Bogan nearly got the Hawks home. It will be an interesting comparrison next year. Both boys look like they have bright futures. I think Ryan will be a star wingman in time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: