Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Future bright for the Pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 1:55 pm
Post subject: Future bright for the PiesReply with quote

I've just got home from the Hawks Bombers final, and must say I wasn't really impressed with Essendon. They were ok, but struggled without their senior midfielders. I don't think they'll get back to 2000 dominance next year (or at all).

To get to my point, I don't think the Pies need to get anyone incredible through trading to be up there with the best next year. Essendon wont be a superpower next year, and with another preseason under their belts, don't be surprised if the Pies midfielders rip through all comers.

We've been talking about trading Everit, Black, etc, but a servicable defender (Kinnear?) and McKee of pre-injury form may be enough to secure a top four spot. Remember we only had three losses by over 20 points this year. All it takes is for Tarrant to kick 70 goals instead of 53 (almost a given) and Nick Davis to kick 46 instead of 36, the midfield gets a bit more consistency from experience, and we're winning most of those games we lost by2, 4, 8, 15 points. That would've put us in the finals this year, and will definately next year.

The future looks bright for the Pies,

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you! And it kills me that we lost some of those close ones to miss out on finals.....BUT I guess we could have easily lost the close ones that we won....(ie: Port, Crows & Blues)..so you never know!

GO PIES IN 2002!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2001 6:23 pm

We still have a bit of improving to do to be genuine contenders. It occurred to me just today that we lost all seven matches that we played against the eventual preliminary finalists. That means that our record against teams finishing from 5th to 16th was 11 wins and 4 losses. That's a fantastic effort, when you look at it, but it still means we're not quite premiership material.

Hopefully another solid pre-season will develop our young stars into seasoned AFL footballers who can play out a season to the bitter (and hopefully triumphant) end.

We really don't need to move heaven and earth in our trading. Chasing big names is not what's needed. If you pick up an established star, you need to part with a couple of good youngsters ... and that's bad arithmetic in my opinion.

So, I say, keep all the good players we've got and just use astute drafting to replace the players who need replacing. Grabbing an Everitt or a McKernan (or whatever) would just wreak havoc with our list ... not to mention our salary cap.

As the A.L.P. election slogan in 1972 said, "It's Time".

**floreat pica**

[This message has been edited by AlfAndrews (edited 23 September 2001).]

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 2:20 am

My feelings exactly Alf.
We need to be a 4 goal better side next year (Or a 4 goal better defensive side).
If a nice recruit turns up, great, but I don't think we want to lose any of our young stars in some sort of an 'over-the-hill-hack or mercenary-money-grubber' trade.
It's passion that gets you the 'really important' wins...that coupled with skills...we want our guys to be loyal to the bone...and we need to be loyal to the bone back!
Watching the finals I've not been awed by the opposition this year.
Last year essendon were in a league of their own, no question. This year the same players are completely beatable, it's only their experience getting them over tough spots...and that takes years to learn.
I was rapt in the Collingwood climb this year.
I was disappointed for Bucks that we didn't get a final for him, but I've been thinking that on balance it's better to finish top of the bottom bunch, on the climb with a bullet, than at the bottom of the top bunch and be punched our because we're not good enough yet.
This is the Heavyweight competition...our guys are still building up muscle and their left/right combinations.
Another few months in the training camp. No choice.
But next year we will be ready to rock!

MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2001 5:18 am

Alf, you are correct in your analysis except for 1 thing.
If everitt played for Collingwood this year we woyuld have made the top 8 and possibly top 4.

Those games against the top sides we lost were all games where our midfield was below what it was when we won against lesser sides. In all those games we got smashed in the centre bounces. I don't agree with not taking "names" in the draft or trade. Big name players like Buck's get reputations because they perform.

The trick is not getting one who is pverrated or that costs too much in the trade deal. That is why the board and recruiting staff are there.

I have to agree with the rest of your post. We are not far away and that is why I would take Everitt or Porter in a trade deal - to go that extra yard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: