Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Saturday Night ABC 9:30 p.m............."THE CLUB"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:34 pm
Post subject: Saturday Night ABC 9:30 p.m............."THE CLUB"Reply with quote

Set your VCR's or watch it if you can.
A great movie that the TV guide rates 4 stars.
A chance to see some old Pies in action. Look for Rene Kink in a speaking role.
And for the younger members of the BB that may be fans of "Seachange" or the new show "Always Greener" (?) look for John Howard in a starring role! (and slimmer!)
Enjoy!

-Craig

P.S. It's the Hawksfans 40th Birthday party so it's set the VCR for me.

FAITH

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 18 September 2001).]

PiesPremiers 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 9:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic.

thanks for that craig. i remember watching this a few years ago, but dont remember it. only the stories of rene kink that my old man told me after watching it. thats how i remember it !

Dan

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 2:04 am

Great movie if you are my age and recognise all the players. You'll see a very young Daics and Banks as well as some old fav's and not so well knowns.

One of the most bizzare things I have ever seen was getting back to my hotel room after dinner and a few wines in Italy on the Amalfi Coast and turning on the TV to see Jack Thompson in The Club dubbed in Italian.

Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 2:45 am

This is one of the all time great aussie movies! if you haven't seen it - as if - make sure you watch it. i've seen it about 10 times but could watch it over and over again. look for daicos who can't help smirking when the camera is on him, and see ray shaw.

Dgen 

Nick's BB Member #43

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:38 am

Truly a must see for everybody. A great movie!

xPie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:32 am

This movie always has a special meaning for my family.

My young cousin appears in it in a brief but detailed close-up. He was captured by the filmmakers waiting outside Victoria Park in all his Pie gear.

Sadly he died a few years later.

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 7:15 am

Great movie. I remember all those players.
Pretty funny too. Based on fact apparently.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:27 pm

I was thinking about the movie today and a funny thought struck me.
In the movie Graham Kennedy plays the club president. Now we all know that Graham was a TV star. He hosted a variety show and also turned his hand to hosting a quiz show. Sound familiar??
Hmmmmmm..........

-Craig

FAITH

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:30 pm

Parkers Pies.

Geoff Haywood
Danny Wilson
Tanko Donoghugh

All ring a bell Craig?

The movie was based on Phil Carman and Collingwood.

In Skob We Trust

dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:59 pm

This movie was based on John Williamson's stage production of the same name. The origional play didnt identify the club as Collingwood, I believe it was a neutral/fictional club.

Legend has it that Carlton were origionally approached to be the club in the movie version but declined saying that it didnt suit them. We were second or third choice apparently for the movie and at the time suited the club's image.

Otherwise a great movie!!!

Cheers

Dillo_09

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2001 6:27 pm

I saw a stage production of The Club a few years back, with Gary Sweet and John Wood in it. John Wood was absolutely brilliant, especially the scene in which he got stoned.

Anyone who regularly reads my posts on this Bulletin Board will know that I often refer to Collingwood simply as "The Club", i.e. with a capital "T" and a capital "C". In fact I have sometimes been known to yell out at matches "Carn The Club".

Also, a couple of years ago I saw a person sitting near the Collingwood Cheer Squad who looked a dead ringer for the writer, David Williamson. I believe Williamson lives in Sydney and barracks for Sydney, but I've heard that he was a Collingwood barracker when he lived in Melbourne. I'm pretty sure he had Collingwood very much in mind when he wrote the play. It was written at the height (or should I say, the depth) of the "Colliwobbles" era.

**may The Club prosper**

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:39 am

David Williamson has stated the play was based on COllingwood (as RCT correctly noted) though kept neutral at the time to avoid further controversy. Williamson has also said that some aspects of the behaviour noted in the play were based on the general "buy-a-permiership" attitude of the 70s and the bargaining power that gave certain players in certain clubs.

Broadie
MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:00 am

As I understand it, The Club was a play based loosely on CFC. The normal literary licence was taken to write a story which would be entertaining rather than historically accurate but the characters were based on reality, although not all were there at the one time in reality.
The main "players" were supposed to Bob Rose (coach & ex legendary player) and Phil Carman (unpopular interstate recruit).
I have heard a few theroies re the president and the various "back stabbers".
I dislike seeing people here call for Eddie's action or comment on things because I think it is an unfair expectation in this forum. It is to his great credit that he does address issues however. Whilst I expect no response it would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the lead players.

Any theories on the major players people?

GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:27 am

When is this classic movie gonna be released on dvd
i mean cmon if they can put storm boy on dvd then surely the club is gotta be released
my fav line is from jock
jesus christ would be flat out making the reserves!

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2001 5:32 am

Bugger the film, read the play. Definitely read the play after seeing the film. It is an easy entertaining read (I read books not plays).

And I have to agree with MarkT's warning. The play is loosely based on CFC, in that it had to be entertaining, and the normal dramatic licence had to be taken. It would be wrong to use the film / play as a historical reference in respect of individual people, characters are alleged to have been based on. Because even if true, they are based ONLY IN PART.

I read the play when I was a young teenager. It was completely out of character, because up to that point I had only read smutty novels (eg "Tobin the Sewing Machine Man"), the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. I am pretty sure I identified the club as Collingwood at the time, but was too young to know who the main characters were based on. Although not converted to reading plays (Shakespeare was soon to destroy any interest of mine in plays for a couple of decades, and still counting) I did go on to read Williamsons "Dons Party" and as part of school (I think) "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll", so "The Club" did increase my horizons.

I am looking forward to seeing the film yet again. I must dig up a copy of the play too.

Greg J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: