Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do we always get screwed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:18 am
Post subject: Why do we always get screwed?Reply with quote

How come Lonie ended up fourth in the Rising Star nominations? Just look at the panel that selects the winner.

Rod Austin, (ex Carlton)
Kevin Bartlett, (ex Richmond)
Andrew Demetriou, (?)
Gerard Healy, (ex Melbourne / Swan)
Neil Kerley, (ex SANFL player)
Chris Mainwaring, (ex West Coast)
Robert Walls (ex Carlton)
and Wayne Jackson (Non-voting chairman, and still a SANFL tosser)

The thing missing here, is the same thing missing on every list of people who control the AFL. No ex Collingwood people! Why don't ex Collingwood greats get cushy positions of power in the AFL. Carlton seem (to me) to dominate these positions.

How can we expect to get a fair go, when the game is controlled by people who grew up hating Collingwood. They can not be expected to act impartially. Now I am not accusing the people in the above list of willfully and consciously ensuring that Lonie would not win. I am saying that, in more situations than not, when all things are equal, they will chose against Collingwood because of their bias against us.

What we need is more Collingwood people in all things AFL. Until then we will not get an even break. The alternative solution is to continue to be unsuccessful, so people forget to hate us. And the later suggestion is just not acceptable.

Greg J
brodie_rocks! Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there wern't ne ex- St. Kilda either and Kochitzke won and no Essendon and Mark McVeigh finished 3rd!

I hear u though!

~ANGEL~
Mag Rob 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:16 am

Essendon has been getting a better ride from the AFL than the Pies, Case in point: Mark of the year.

The saints may just be riding a sympathy wave.

Lonie deserved that trophy!

Go Hard.... GO PIES!

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:37 am

The unfortunate answer to your question is that we have had such a sustained period lacking success. We have probaqbly not had enough good adminstrators or people with foresight so we have stuggled on and off the field. Hard to point to many ex pies who should be in the AFL to be honest.
The clubs represented at the AFL are the ones who have had acknowleged strong administrations over the last 20 years.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:22 am

I think, you miss my point brodie_rocks. It is not who you are biased for, its who you are biased against.

All Melbourne clubs would rate us as their "most hated" club, with the exception of Carlton and Essendon (who regretably have got the "most premierships" rivalry going) who would rate us second. Besides any local derbys, interstate clubs would rate us as their "most hated" club (ie. Swans and Lions).

By the way, I think Brodie Rocks too. And does the number 6 proud. Top 5 in the Copeland for sure.

Greg J
MAGPIRA 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 3:21 pm

Kochitzke is a GUN and I think even he's quite lucky that, that Riewald got injured because he has even more talent to burn. So I believe he deserved to win! I don't believe that Ryan should have won it, but he did enough to finish 2nd or 3rd, and I was totallt stunned that he didn't!

MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 2:51 am

Magperia is right. Kochitzke was a deserving winner because he was a very good player this year. He looks like being a grat player if he stays injury free and harnesses his obvious talent.

Lonnie struggled toward the end of the year but he will be in the side for a long time to come. I agree that he did enough for second or 3rd but who cares. Who came second last year or the year before?

the original point is valid. The AFL have NEVER given us an inch. They use our drawing power and assume we can take care of ourselves. That is partly because we can and partly because, as I said, it is such a long time since we have had an administrator who cammands and respect or even more importantly, demands attention. Hopefully that has changed now.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:41 am

I do not necessarily think Lonie should have won it, but I was surprised that he did not finish second, and hence my post.

Greg J
brodie_rocks! Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 4:47 am

Greg J, I do get ur point - hence the 'I hear u though' at the end of my msg! hahahahahahaha!! lol! It's always been that way, stuff the Pie's and take the money!

~ANGEL~
Cyclops 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 5:39 am

I think Demetriou was a Hawthorn player back in the eighties. Did he end up at West Coast? It's certainly true that Carlton has great clout in the AFL-they got Ian Collins onto the commission for some years in the nineties. As for Walls, don't get me started.
I agree with Magpira about Koschitzke-he was the best rookie this year by a mile. Lonie was fantastic for us, certainly in our best 18, and showed great maturity. I think it is a sign of our position back in the field that he was dropped in it so early. His twin seems to have a similar amount of talent, but could hardly crack a game at the Hawks.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 7:36 am

Cyclops, yes Nathan has as much ability as Ryan. For the Hawks he has been able to be bought on at a slower pace because of their greater depth. if only we could do the same.
It does show though that if you have 2 players exactly the same (twins) that their opportunities are directly related to the teams position on the ladder. i.e. Hawks top 4. Pies bottom 8

-Craig

FAITH

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 8:09 am

I think andrew demetriou played for north melbourne, but I'm not sure.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 1:09 pm

Demitriou played at both North and Hawthorn. North have a long history of filling AFL/VFL positions and now it seems vice versa.

I think it will be hard for the AFL to ignore a club president who heads (controls?) the major broadcasters footy coverage. Sorry Ed to bring it up, but, as a Collingwood supporter, I am happy about that. It's about time we had some clout and I hope Ed uses it - subtley of course.

The media is such a huge with the AFL these days. It controls the revenue and sets the agenda on so many fronts. It will be interesting what changes come about with the change in broadcaster(s). Hopefully we get a decent run in the (TV) media and our President ensures we are not taken for granted and used by the AFL any longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: