Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Prison for holocaust denier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go, (in bold below) you have provided an example of thinking for yourself. you may think I qouted you out of context but the quote stands.

David from Canberra wrote:

EBB, how can we think for ourselves? We should be careful to not accept everything we hear from newspapers.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:15 pm

you can't say that all the propaganda is coming from the right side of politics. There is as much propaganda on the left, Michael Moore is the obvious example but he is far from the only one.

I suppose it depends on how you use the word "propaganda" and what it actually means to you. It's a very emotive term.

I suppose when I think of "propaganda" I tend to think of it as a tool that governments use to convince the people that they are doing the right thing. Governments are entrusted with vast public resources. To use these resources to put forth a political opinion is what I'd call "propaganda".

When someone like Michael Moore ... or that Irving bloke ... put forward a political opinion, then it's just a case of an individual expressing an opinion. It doesn't have the official sanction of a government.

I think there's a difference.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:54 pm

yep EBB, I think it would take a very naive person to think that the media are actually objective about everything. There are biases on both sides that get in the way. Alf, propaganda to me means taking the truth and bending it to convince people of a point. Studying satire at school at the moment, it has come to mind that the two are closely related, especially in satirical cartoonists, who use a lot of the tactics of government propagandists from the 1930s. I don't know about Irving, but Michael Moore I think is a good example because he cleverly distorts the truth with the purpose of convincing people of a certain point. I've heard stories about Bush supporters leaving Fahrenheit 9/11 in tears vowing to vote for Kerry. Still, they are Americans...
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:58 pm

... propaganda to me means taking the truth and bending it to convince people of a point ...

Fair enough up to a point. That point being the notion that such a thing as "the truth" actually exists or can be knowable in an objective way. Because, to say that someone is "bending the truth" implies that you know the truth ... which brings us into that vast minefield of post-modernism ... and then it all gets very very complicated.

As you get further into your academic studies you may find yourself having to read very thick books written in a convoluted style of language that makes no sense whatsoever ... where you spend three hours reading one paragraph and then have to re-read it because you've forgotten what point the writer was trying to make in the first place.

When you get to this point, congratulations ... you've discovered post-modernism.

And if you ever work out what the hell these people are talking about, let me know ... because I haven't got a clue Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:44 pm

lol rather appropriate Alf because I'm considering studying philosophy in Uni... God help me, I'm probably going to run into all that stuff. Wish me luck Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: