Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Prison for holocaust denier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:33 pm
Post subject: Prison for holocaust denierReply with quote

Neil Mitchell, "Ratbag now a martyr"

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18239674%255E5000106,00.html

well I read this in the newspaper today, and Dr. Alf has made reference to it in the Andrew Bolt thread. While I feel strongly against those who have persecuted or attacked Jews, and those who still do so today, I think jailing someone for expressing a viewpoint is not only going too far, it is completely wrong. I have never understood holocaust deniers (I mean how much proof do they need that it happened) but when the judges start telling people which way they should think, and that some opinions are 'wrong' I think there are big problems.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard the one about the Jew and the Iranian fundamentalist in the Crocodile Dundee hat?

Well, you see ... this Jew and this Iranian fundamentalist in a Crocodile Dundee hat are having a political argument and the Jew is having a good old Jewish whinge about the Nazis and the holocaust ... as Jews tend to do.

Then the Iranian fundamentalist in the Crocodile Dundee hat says:

"Holocaust? You call THAT a holocaust?"

He reaches into his pocket, pulls out a nuclear missile, aims it directly at Israel and says:

"Now that's a holocaust."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:04 pm

not really funny, mainly because it's so true.
There's nothing an Iranian fundametalist could wish for more than the brutal slaughter of every Jew on the planet....

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:27 pm

I think its so funny that they lock up a historian they dont' like because he is pro hitler, yet hitler was born in that country
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:33 pm

True culprit, a country that needs to build up it's 'anti_Nazi' points after electing bigots like Haider. A scapegoat should do nicely!
Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:13 pm

These laws were brought in to stop the obfuscation of history to suit personal purposes - also as part of the 'de-nazification' process that was introduced when the Allies controlled Deutschland after 1945. Nazism wasn't just an aberration in a few people in a particular country, it was a way of life for many Germans (see the behaviour of the young teenagers in the Hitler Jugend (youth) who tried to fight to the end and maintained faith in 'der Fuehrer' even as the Soviet Army closed in on Berlin). It's hard to brainwash people back.....
It's not a question of opinion - it's a type of propaganda........

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 pm

I think nazi germany is a great example of how most people will accept whatever they're told without question. I think its fair to make the logical step that what we believe in is strongly moulded by others. We have to try our best to work things out for ourselves and pay little heed to others' points of view, even if they are very persuasive.

Nutmeg wrote:
It's hard to brainwash people back.....

And the result would be, people still not thinking for themselves. At least they wouldn't be killing Jews any more but it wouldn't make them any better people. And it's important to realise that the German people weren't worse than you or I. Very likely we would have done and believed exactly the same thing if we were living in Germany at that time. So we're as evil as they were.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:42 pm

its all a bit silly really. like owning a copy of "Triumph Of The Will" which will get you jailed in 15 countries.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:34 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
And it's important to realise that the German people weren't worse than you or I. Very likely we would have done and believed exactly the same thing if we were living in Germany at that time.

Exactly. There but for the grace of God go I. The einsatzgruppen for the most part were not made up of psychopaths, just ordinary blokes like you or I.

Cam wrote:
its all a bit silly really. like owning a copy of "Triumph Of The Will" which will get you jailed in 15 countries.

Cam, are most of those countries European? The film is freely available here, and I assume on Oz. Riefenstahl did a great 'job' on it. I suppose the jury is still out on whether she was a died in the wool nazi, though I do recall reading an obit on her stating she witnessed nazi atrocities in Poland early in the war, went to Hitler with the aim of bringing the guilty to account, and the subsequent inaction led her to 'break' with Hitler from thn on. By any standards, she led a pretty interesting life!

On Irving, he's a bit of a nut, but I've read a couple of his books, and whilst his work is pretty meticulously researched, though like most historians, there is good reason to debate the conclusions he draws. His publicity seeking call that "There is no document in existence signed by Hitler ordering the holocaust" may well be true, but to then draw the conclusion that there was no holocaust is stretching it a little too much I'd suggest. He should be allowed to print what he likes. The vast majority of historians more than repudiat some of his more illogical conclusions. In short, there's no law against making an idiot of yourself, so let him.
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:32 am

I think nazi germany is a great example of how most people will accept whatever they're told without question.

That's right David. And it seems, most people, STILL miss the point.

Nutmeg wrote:
It's hard to brainwash people back.....

And the result would be, people still not thinking for themselves.

Perhaps David, you could provide us with example, on how to think for ourselves.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:33 am

Despite its politics, Triumph of the Will is still highly regarded as one of the great early landmark films, despite it being a propaganda piece for Hitler. A lot like Birth of a Nation was for the KKK. So I think it is shameful that the film would be banned.

EBB, how can we think for ourselves? We should be careful to not accept everything we hear from newspapers. We should try to hear both sides of the story. We should be skeptical about people trying to convince of us a point, no matter how charismatic they are. This is how Hitler became leader of Germany, he basically used exciting speech to get people interested, built on the anti-semitism that was so rampant in Europe at the time, and so 'brainwashed' a lot of people. I don't know, maybe it is impossible to truly think for yourself without taking in others' opinions. But we can at least try.

Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:53 am

Let's never forget that Hitler and the Nazi Party never actually achieved a majority in the Reichstag - they did NOT come to power legally, but played on (among other things) a serious flaw in the German Constitution (that allowed Hindenburg to dissolve parliament whenever he saw fit), personal vendettas at the highest end, Hindenburg's failing health and a morbid fear of the Communist party. Even parties that were on the left of the political spectrum were more fearful of a Soviet-style revolution than they were of the Nazis. (all non-communist European leaders all preferred Hitler)

Propaganda exists everywhere now (children overboard anyone??), the difference now is, we don't have a political portfolio called propaganda (Goebbels was the minister for "propaganda and public enlightenment") - so what is worse? Calling a spade a pitchfork and telling everyone that you're doing it, or merely denying that you ever knew what a spade was?

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 am

Nutmeg wrote:
These laws were brought in to stop the obfuscation of history to suit personal purposes ...

Now all we need is a law to stop John Howard doing the same thing.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Nutmeg wrote:
... Propaganda exists everywhere now (children overboard anyone??), the difference now is, we don't have a political portfolio called propaganda (Goebbels was the minister for "propaganda and public enlightenment")

Give it time, mate ... give it time.

Although there may not be an actual "Ministry of Truth" to manage public propaganda at this stage, I think the federal government's recent advertising blitz to support its industrial relations policy was a very good example of the use of public resources for purely ideological purposes ...

... OK ... OK ... Bracks has been doing the Eagle Rock promoting his government too ... so it's not just the Liberal scum ... but you get my drift.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:50 pm

you can't say that all the propaganda is coming from the right side of politics. There is as much propaganda on the left, Michael Moore is the obvious example but he is far from the only one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: