Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Industrial relations reforms pay slash

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:48 am
Post subject: Industrial relations reforms pay slashReply with quote

Industrial relations reforms pay slash
Ben Packham
21feb06

WORKERS at a Melbourne company face the possibility of cuts to pay and conditions in the first major test of the Howard Government's new workplace laws.

Major car parts manufacturer Dana Australia has flagged a 5 per cent pay cut for more than 350 workers.
And the company wants to pay future employees 25 per cent less than current rates.

Dana also wants to axe 13 RDOs, cut redundancy entitlements in half and make workers wait longer before accessing long service leave.

Top-up payments to injured workers would also be reduced, and workers could be stood down over union action against suppliers or clients.

The company's position on a new enterprise bargaining agreement with workers is revealed in a 42-point document seen by the Herald Sun.

"Our starting point is minus 5 per cent as we don't believe we got what we paid for in the last EBA," the document says.

The deal covering workers at Dana's Cheltenham and Clayton plants will be negotiated under the new work laws, due to come into effect next month.

Prime Minister John Howard has said the laws are not aimed at cutting entitlements.

But he refused to guarantee wages and conditions would not fall.

In their last wage deal, Dana workers got a 5 per cent pay rise each year for three years.

The company had not sought wages cuts in previous agreements, and the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union said the move was without precedent in manufacturing.

"It is a clear shift in the direction the company has been going," AMWU state secretary Dave Oliver said. "I think they see the new workplace laws as being an opportunity to cut back wages and conditions for employees."

Mr Oliver said past negotiations with Dana had been "relatively painless", but it had sought sweeping changes in the coming agreement.

Dana Australia managing director Bob Day would not comment on the offer to workers.

But he said Dana had to boost productivity to compete in overseas markets.

"Our ability to do that means that we need competitive enterprise agreements with our employees," he said.

Mr Day said the new work laws would secure the future of manufacturing in Australia.

"If these changes had not occurred, I think the trend that we are seeing in manufacturing for an overall decline, would be a certainty," he said.

Workplace Relations Minister Kevin Andrews' office said the workers would continue to be paid under their current wage deal while negotiations were under way.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18215340%255E661,00.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will live to see it.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:48 am

....and eventually, no one will want to work for them.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:12 pm

and they'll have to import vietnamese, like those bakers have had to.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:40 pm

No they won't. They can just take the factory to them.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:36 am

Joel wrote:
No they won't. They can just take the factory to them.

Good idea. Good riddance.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:31 pm

Joel wrote:
....and eventually, no one will want to work for them.

People have bills to pay, they still need an income. They will work for them just quit as soon as they find something better. Employment is on the skids so jobs are getting harder to find. The employer knows it and will take advantage of it.

This is just one case. 7 more coming soon I was told.
Nutmeg Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:37 am

wow! The worker's having the shit ripped outta them! Who'd a thunk it???
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:34 am

More and more information has come out, suprise that the games are on. News is not great and workers are going to be screwed even more. Australians will soon start complaining but all is to late, it's done and dusted and the Opposition won't do anything about it if they get into power and that is a huge if with the morons sitting accross from the current government. Big buisness controls what our Governments do and don't do.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:37 am

And Europeans do not will start complaining but is to it's done and dusted and the Opposition won't do anything about it if they get into power and that is a huge if with the morons sitting accross from the current government?
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Culprit wrote:
More and more information has come out, suprise that the games are on. News is not great and workers are going to be screwed even more. Australians will soon start complaining but all is to late, it's done and dusted and the Opposition won't do anything about it if they get into power and that is a huge if with the morons sitting accross from the current government. Big buisness controls what our Governments do and don't do.

Culprit, I listened to Beazley on 3AW this morning and he has said that when they get into power the whole lot will be repealed. Everything will go out the window.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Culprit, I listened to Beazley on 3AW this morning and he has said that when they get into power the whole lot will be repealed. Everything will go out the window.

I will say to you, Bracks said the same about Road Tolls. We still have them and are getting more new ones. Rolling Eyes

The biggest Problem is Beazley will never be PM unless Howard screws up. The only way I could see it happen if Interest Rates responded to the US interest Rates and started to increase and the pain rolled in even harder. You don't win elections you lose them. Twisted Evil

Basil Faulty Beazley was part of Keatings Faulty Towers and people remember. Rolling Eyes

We need a strong opposition no matter who is power, we have none and Howard just as Bracks can do as they please.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I doubt it. As soon as Beazley got into power he'd realise that it would be impossible to change it, so he'd make a few adjustments. This is all hypothetical, cos I can't really see Kim being pm......

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:58 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I doubt it. As soon as Beazley got into power he'd realise that it would be impossible to change it, so he'd make a few adjustments. This is all hypothetical, cos I can't really see Kim being pm......

No one can...lol oops except Kim
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:48 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200603/s1598839.htm

The news just gets better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: