Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

CFC Announces Malthouse as Coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 7:03 am
Post subject: CFC Announces Malthouse as CoachReply with quote

Thanks to Mick for this copy.

Malthouse to raise the bar at Pie Park - AAP

The AFL's worst kept secret was officially revealed today with the announcement that former West Coast coach Michael Malthouse would take over as Collingwood coach on a three-year contract.

In an elaborate announcement at Melbourne's Grand Hyatt Hotel, Malthouse was unveiled sitting behind the wheel of a Volvo convertible which he will drive as the new Collingwood coach.

Malthouse made no rash promises of taking the Magpies into a grand final but said the club had a young playing list full of potential and that he would raise the bar at Victoria Park.

Malthouse said he wanted to turn Collingwood into the Manchester United of Australia and would encourage the club's supporters to sign up as members.

Collingwood's high profile president Eddie McGuire said all jobs at the club were on the line.

McGuire said that the club had been hurt by finishing on the bottom of the AFL ladder and would have ``a steely-eyed resolve'' to lift itself up the table next year.

Malthouse said he wanted to make Collingwood the most professional sporting club in Australia.

``I want Collingwood to be held in the same aura as Manchester United has in England,'' said Malthouse. ``That's the goal I want to be a part of. I don't think we want supporters who can't be members.''

Malthouse said he would carry on the habit of training behind closed doors which he often favoured at West Coast. ``You'll just have to get used to lockouts at training,'' said Malthouse.

``We want to go through our set plays that will enhance our chance of victory and I can't afford forward scouts to be in there watching our set plays - that could mean the difference between winning and losing.''

Malthouse led West Coast to premierships in 1992 and 1994.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 9:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

so we can't go to training any more? boo. still, great job by eddie to get malthouse. if someone told me at the start of the year that we'd get malthouse i would've laughed.
Brad 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 11:51 am

Finally, Now we have got to entice a few good players over from the west. You never know what Micks got up his sleeve. It would be good if we got Gehrig, or even someone like Chad Morrison. Does anyone know anything about Spider coming to the pies

Charlie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 5:37 pm

This is the latest gossip, its not new, but it has resurfaced, and it comes from a fairly reliable source.
1. Everett for draft pick 2
2. Leigh Colbert to Collingwood

Mick 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 3:53 am

Charlie

Nice rumour - a reliable source always adds some cred. How old is Everitt? Is he worth the trade of pick no.2? Can we just pick Colbert up without a trade since he's uncontracted? Another one worth a shot at is Mansfield - would add some much needed experience to our backline and still has 4-5 years left in him. Has had an ordinary year but has been the best hand-bagger in their 2 GF losses. Can also go up forward. Would have a lot to prove to Geelong and MM could get this out. One of his issues has been commuting between Mel-Gel - this would be an easy fix at the Pies.

The weeks after the GF will be more interesting than our season - its Trade Season.

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 4:09 am

I'm absolutely rapt that we finally have it confirmed.

Long, long ago many on this board debated the merits of various possible coaches. A number - including myself - said MM was the perfect choice.

Yesterday he confirmed our reasons for saying he was ideal: his focus on younger players. Throughout his reign at the Weagles, he has consistently developed potential into strong reality, from way back to Jakovich, through to Wirrpunda in recent times.

Let's hope he can do the same for Davis, Tarrant, Kinnear and the many other potentials we have (maybe even Wasley, eh Foxy?). His stating of the obvious - that defence will be our new focus - is hopefully a sign that Pebbles will stay at his best position, CHB.

GO PIES in 2000: finals by 2001, GF by 2003/4. (keep this in your time capsule, Nick).

The Holden-driving-but-happy-to-support-Dan-Murphy Broadie.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 6:12 am

fellas, since we all seem to know so much about the players, we should send our opinions of every player to micky himself. i read this article somewhere that coaches at new clubs like it when they get a supporter's point of view on each player. just an idea.
on the whole everitt and colbert, if we do manage to get both of them, eddie deserves to be knighted. but i don't reckon we'll get spider; he seems pretty keen to stay at the saints. and i like the idea of mansfield at the pies.
and i reckon malthouse will like wazza; he'll use him in the same way as he used that phil read bloke. he better like him.
Charlie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 8:30 am

Everitt would be a great pickup for draft choice 2. He is in his prime. Given MM preference for defence, an attacking ruckman would balance the side. Couple this with Josh Fraser, and you can see what the team will look like for the next 10 to 15 yrs.
Mckernan and Carey are extremely potent, imagine a forward structure revolving around to Sav, Everitt, Josh Fraser, Tarrant.
Carlton's Allan typifies how a top big man can rally the troops under him. I know Monky has served us well, but he cannot compete consistantly at this elite level anymore. We need a dominant,mobile, goal kicking ruckman, if we get Everitt we ought to feel very lucky.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 1999 10:09 am

i know it's completely unrelated to the topic, but does anyone know if there's any potential draft picks playing in the TAC cup final tomorrow? i know ezra poyas is playing for the dragons, but that's about it. if anyone knows anything then please tell.
Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 1999 1:42 pm

Foxy, there are at least a few players wto watch out for -
Prahan -Ezra Poyas who you mentioned

Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 1999 1:49 pm

i think i might finish that if thats ok with my ****** computer

Prahan - Ezra Poyas
- Jason Blake

Gippsland
Steve Hazelman - a midfielder who gets
lots of the footy
Leigh Brown - centre half back who is
meant to be very good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: