Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Andrew Bolt Book

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, that's your opinion. Doesn't make you right though. I think the average person would agree with at least some of his views, or at least see the reasoning behind them. Hell, I even agree with some of Jill Singer's articles and I reckon she's further left than Bolt is right....
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Why? Is that a fact.
eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:49 pm

eddies bank balance wrote:
8.30pm tonight (monday) Ch2, Four Corners.

Last nights show was about 'The Greenhouse mafia'... I do hope Andrew Bolt tuned in.Then again, perhaps he is over paid.

Four Corners. series return
Reveals claims that top scientists are being gagged as powerful polluters hijack climate control.

For those who missed the show and are interested, below are links to the transcript.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2006/s1568867.htm (transcript)

pezza 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:29 pm

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18169924%255E25717,00.html

Andrews response to the TV program...

Sneaky green mafia
Andrew Bolt
17feb06

AT last the ABC agrees: there is indeed a "greenhouse mafia" that's keeping you from the truth.

Its Four Corners program on Monday was right to warn that the Government's climate policy was "hijacked" by cause-pushers who gagged debate.

But here's the hitch. Reporter Janine Cohen, winner of a United Nations environment award, says this "mafia" is made up of lobbyists from gas-belching businesses.

Yet the facts show that the real "greenhouse mafia" to menace us is staffed by green lobbyists and their media mates. Exhibit A? This very same Four Corners report.

Four Corners made two claims: First, big polluters virtually dictate the Howard Government's greenhouse policy, even drafting Cabinet documents. Second, CSIRO scientists trying to warn us to cut emissions are gagged.

But let's see if this passes the fertiliser detector.

This Government is silencing green-preaching scientists? Then why does it spend $60 million a year on the Australian Greenhouse Office, which hires nothing but?

It's under the thumb of polluters? Then why is Environment Minister Ian Campbell now the holiest of green rollers, declaring the debate on global warming "over" and insisting we must cut our emissions by 60 per cent?

I sniff something that makes my roses bloom. So who convinced Four Corners of this wild conspiracy theory?

Meet Dr Guy Pearse, introduced by the show as just a Liberal Party member and speech-writer for then environment minister Senator Robert Hill.

Pearse claimed that during later research for a PhD, he met lobbyists from the Australian Industry Greenhouse Network, representing very gassy businesses, who told him they were the "greenhouse mafia" and boasted of feeding the environment minister his lines.

Hmm. Would Pearse name these lobbyists? Uh, no. And that was Four Corners' proof – hearsay about the alleged skiting of anonymous guys.

Worse, these claims were denied by Campbell, the Australian Coal Association and the AIGN, yet Four Corners still built its show around them – presumably because Pearse had credibility.

What axe could he have to grind, being a loyal Liberal who even owned coal shares?

But check his CV, and . . . gosh! I see he worked on the 1996 re-election campaign of United States Vice-President Al Gore, a Democrat and global warming alarmist.

I see that PhD of his is co-supervised by Clive Hamilton, head of the deep-green Australia Institute. I see his favourite websites include those of the World Wildlife Fund, Environmental Defence Fund, Australian Conservation Foundation and Michael "Fahrenheit 9/11" Moore.

ALL very odd for a man painted by Four Corners as the bluest of Liberals. Even odder that he got a job in 1997 with the Howard Government's environment minister.

And now he works for the AEC Group, lobbyists who boast of winning "contracts from government to directly assist in the policy making process". Among his past clients he lists the Australian Conservation Foundation and Australian Greenhouse Office.

Pearse seems an earnest and honest man. But forgive me if I think he might have misinterpreted whatever he was told, and if I repeat that the real "greenhouse mafia" to worry about is made up not of brown polluters, but green activists.

But what about this claim that CSIRO scientists were censored when they tried to warn us to cut emissions?

Here, Four Corners relied mainly on the word of the CSIRO's former climate director, Graeme Pearman, who has a reputation for integrity, but is also, in my opinion, an activist. Indeed, he joined a climate group formed by the World Wide Fund for Nature.

It's this that led his bosses to tell him debating greenhouse science was fine, but debating government policy was not for a public servant.

So does the CSIRO truly censor debate on global warming? Yes, but in the very opposite way to one Pearman claims, says Emeritus Professor Garth Paltridge, who led the University of Tasmania's Institute of Antarctic and Southern Ocean Studies and was chief research scientist of the CSIRO's Division of Atmospheric Research.

Says Paltridge: "In the early '90s I was involved in setting up the Antarctic Co-operative Research Centre, which was, and still is, a sizeable research institution specifically designed to examine the role of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean in global climate.

"I made the error of mentioning in a media interview that there were (as there still are) lots of doubts about the science of global warming.

"Suffice it to say that within a couple of days it was made very clear to me from the highest levels of CSIRO that, should I make such public comments again, then it would pull out of the process of forming the new centre."

THAT would have killed his centre stone dead, so Paltridge says he shut up.

He says the CSIRO didn't want global warming questioned because it was after big grants from the Australian Greenhouse Office, and he says other scientists have also learned it is "too dangerous to go against accepted wisdom that the impact of global warming will be disastrous".

So do be worried that there is a "greenhouse mafia", just as the ABC says. But watch out: the ABC is on its side.
eddies bank balance 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:13 pm

Yep, I'm guessing 'A.Bolt' is over-paid and when the world crumbles to it's feet, Bolt will not see, as his head is in the sand.Or lodged where the sun don't shine.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:05 pm

Bolt will be long-dead when the world ends, as we all will I would imagine. Even if global warming people are right, we've got another few thousand years left.... Smile
eddies bank balance 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:30 pm

David from Canberra wrote:
Bolt will be long-dead when the world ends, as we all will I would imagine. Even if global warming people are right, we've got another few thousand years left.... Smile

Wow and I thought I was optimistic, yes a few thousand noble years would nice but, I wont be holding me breath-although, you;could try, anyway over the next 4 weeks, perhaps we could, list all the natural disaster’s that occur world wide.

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:34 pm

What you said was either too complex or too simple for me.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:17 am

nothing's too complex for you Hal Wink
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:10 pm

You're right. The world will still exist in several thousand years from now ... probably several thousand million years from now ... hot or cold.

As for the human race ... I'd give it 50 years max ...

... and that's being EXTREMELY optimistic.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:59 pm

That's being EXTREMELY paranoid if you were to ask me Alf.
But why would you anyway Wink

HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:10 pm

Is this a joke? How?
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 am

Assassin wrote:
How the hell did the global warming crap end up in this thread ?

Because Blot is in as much denial about global warming as you are.

Assassin wrote:
The climate has been constantly changing for 5 billion yerars and will continue to do so , it really is as simple as that. The whole greenhouse gas , global warming thing is dribble.

It's the rate of change that's the issue, stupid. If the climate had been changing at its present rate for 5 billions years you wouldn't be alive to spout your dribble.

Assassin wrote:
Back to Bolt . This bloke is , in my opinion , the best journo in the country which is why I get the Herald sent here , even thoiugh it's a day late.

So, in the opinion of a moron, Blot is the best journo in the country. Good for him.

Good to see you reading quality literature. The Herald Sun ... the newspaper for discerning readers Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:42 pm

There are intelligent views on both side of the debate. The fact that you are resorting to personal insults and not providing any proof yourself weighs against you Alf. After all, this is only your opinion, so someone else could call you a moron as well. The result? No-one has understood the other's viewpoint, and no sensible debate has taken place.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:56 am

There are intelligent views on both side of the debate. The fact that you are resorting to personal insults and not providing any proof yourself weighs against you Alf. After all, this is only your opinion, so someone else could call you a moron as well. The result? No-one has understood the other's viewpoint, and no sensible debate has taken place.

Rah rah rah ...

Denying global warming can hardly be called "sensible debate".

It's a strange world we live in when someone can get 3 years jail for denying the holocaust, but a person who denies that global warming exists can do so with impunity.

Global warming is the 21st century holocaust ... perpetrated by governments and corporations that believe in the same sort of crap that you believe in. And the victims of this 21st century holocaust will not just be the Jews. It will be everybody ... including filth like yourself and Assassin ... and of course, Andrew Blot.

At least that's one good thing I can say about global warming ... it will eventually kill off all the global warming deniers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: