Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

RMH, maybe it is just me...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's not just you. But thank god for people like you who stick up for their families. I did that when my father was still alive and in hospital with his cancer. The private hospital he was in, wasn't even giving him any information at all! I saw Red!!!........
y2Traci Gemini

Geelong Magpie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am

It's definitely not just you Tess. How hard is it to check someone's been given their medication? Its not good enough to leave a sick lady sitting there.

Hope your mum's feeling better now.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 am

sleeping he or she checked on her and she is is sleeping he or she checked on her and she is ?
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 am

How remiss of me Tess. I hope your mother is going to be ok.
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:43 am

Why specifically do you hope for your mother is going to be?
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Just thought I would add, the changeover may have only happened shortly before you got there. Therefore, it could well have been the fault of the previous shift.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:24 pm

It depends upon how long it takes for the drugs to be made up aswell. If they ordered them late, then that could be an issue.
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Interesting explanation.
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:58 pm

I deal with some of the staff at RMH at work. Its a wonder they are able to function at all if what I deal with is any indication.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:48 pm

I must say though, my gf has done a stint at RMH for her uni clinicals, and she hated the place. Thought many of the people there were wankers, and/or didn't know what they were doing, or follow correct procedures.
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:42 pm

What is really sad is that if Mum wasn't feeling so unwell, there is no way she would have put up with being forgotton in a chair. Mum would have asked where was her medicine, but being unwell for 2 weeks took her spirit away for a short time. Tess firing up gave Mum her spirit back, and she got mad instead of upset, and as all in our family know....look out when any one of us is angry!

Just ask my ex!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:10 pm

The current funding system does not allow for patients once a discharge date is set to remain in that bed.

Usual practice these days is for patients who cannot be collected by family etc to be transferred to transit units until either collected by family or transported by taxi, patient transport services or ambulance to their destination.

This has come about as a result of community pressure regarding waiting lists and time spent on trolleys in the Emergency Depts. There are now huge financial penalities associated with hospitals postponing/cancelling elective surgery or going on hospital by-pass - in the end everything these days seems to come down to money *sigh*

It would matter not one scrap - how caring the nurses or anyone else was - once the discharge of a patient has been medically"signed off" then that bed is allocated to another patient by the bean counters.

Not that for one minute am I suggesting that nursing care has not gone downhill - as a dinnosaur who trained many years ago under the hospital training system - it is depressing to see what passes for nursing care these days.

You would be amazed at the number of times that families "forget" "can't" or "won't" come and pick up their loved ones - used to go on for days and at times weeks - not that for one minute Tess am I suggesting that this was the case with you - but this is what promptied the change and I suppose the "hard line" approach you see in action today.

I hate to tell you Tess, but the appearance of your mum's medication shortly after you began "yelling" is just sheer luck! Yelling is very common place - it's the spiiting and threat of or actual physical assault that usually gets a response - usually fom some burly security boys!

I hope you follow through with your complaint to the patient advocate - it is only through this that the bean counters who now run the public hospitals will take any notice - they have the power to change processes -not the ward nurses!
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Mum was asked would she mind waiting in a chair for Tess to arrive, as they new Tess would be there in 90 minutes. Mum said no worries. Next time Mum will be telling them NO WAY!! She will not get out the bed unless forced to.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:56 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:
Mum was asked would she mind waiting in a chair for Tess to arrive, as they new Tess would be there in 90 minutes. Mum said no worries. Next time Mum will be telling them NO WAY!! She will not get out the bed unless forced to.

I understand exactly what you are saying - the very sad fact is that patients can be forced to out of their beds if they are deemed medically fit for discharge

Unfortunately not all families are like yours - nursing may not be how it was or how we wish it was anymore - but we are not all uncaring and unconcerned - the frustration with the philosphy and approach of the current health care administrators is one of the major reasons nurses are leaving the profession in droves.

The problem is the flip side of the argument - what if it was your mother, brother, sister. aunty, cousin etc was the person waiting for a bed to have surgery performed or to be moved from a trolley from the emergency dept?
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:59 am

I agree assassin the worlds priorities are certainly stuffed up....

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: