Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recruiting

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:47 pm
Post subject: RecruitingReply with quote

I am not sure of the nature of this post but it kind of indirectly relates to a point Alf made. He raised how there a lot of amateur recruiters in the site and it was useless to talk about trades.

I heard from my cousin (James Walker, Fremantle) at how Fremantle recently had a information night with their members and their recruiting officer Phil Smart (Colin Judkins is ours).

The night was held recently and the members received feedback from Smart about this years draft picks, recycled players and also gave insight to what the club is looking to draft/acquire in this year’s trading period.

The members had a chance to ask questions and was a very progressive night for the football club as members were better informed about the drafting/trading process. On top of this, the club opened the bar, catered the event and made a profit on the night so it was a win/win situation for the club and it’s members.

With all this talk Collingwood supporters are involved in, why not make a night of it as Fremantle did. It would be the sign of a forward thinking club that is catering for its members who want to know about the process of drafting.

P.S
The best wishes to the McGuire family after today’s unfortunate events.

In Skob We Trust

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 7:52 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

As MarkT pointed out, in response to my comments, arguing about things like recruiting is all part of the age-old traditions of footy barracking, and it will obviously continue whether people like myself participate or not. So what the heck. Go for it.

Your suggestion is pretty good, Rohan. I'm sure it would be a very popular function ... and hopefully one in which supporters can participate without having to pay an arm and a leg.

It would also, in a way, make the recruiters a bit more accountable (as Joel argued that they should be) if they had to come face to face with the fans now and then.

**floreat pica**

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:01 am

A reasonable idea. Could develop in a real sh*t fight if not careful however.

Did anyone ask the Freeo guys how they could let go of Holland and Clemont? I would expect they would have found it hard to justify. I would love to know what, if anything, was said about Black staying or Modra going.

I admire their guts but there are some potentially explosive issues if anyone wanted to push it.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 9:57 am

Might be a good idea. Not too sure.

MarkT - I still hear Freo supporters saying that they are glad Clement was let go...why is this so? Probably because they have hack coaches who couldn't get the best out of him.

JDF

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 10 September 2001).]
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 11:39 am

Joel, I can't believe that:
1. You know Freeo supporters?
2. They really think they are better off without Clement.

I suppose it was a good idea to let Bell go and then pay a fortune to get him back (best move since Carlton & Williams). I suppose they know a good player when they see one(?) I suppose they handled the Drum sacking well. I could go on but I don't need to.
What drugs are these people on and where can I get some!

PS
I still wet myself when I think what Drum said about going to Freeo instead of Collingwood and who we ended up with. Bizzare how it works sometimes.

Dantheman 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:00 pm

Hmmm, it'd have to be thought through pretty carefully beforehand.

(Especially in Freo's case. Geez have a look at who they've let go since they were established!)

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 12:43 pm

From all accounts the night did not turn into a "bitchfight" and there was no angst.

Anyone who has attended an Annual General Meeting can testify to these types of bitchfights were nothing is really gained.

The idea of the night was to inform Fremantle's members of the recruiting process and the role of one of Fremantle's most important staff, the recruiting officer.

It is a value-added service to the membership ticket. It is also a sign of a progressive club that wants to cater for its members.

It also brings people to the club, as it was a catered event. A profit was attained so it was a win/win situation.

If the club goes by its creed "only the best" this idea should be looked at.

In Skob We Trust

the prez 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 3:03 pm

I believe the CLUB is planning another Members Info Night b4 the end of the year similar to one held earlier this year which will update club issues including the Olympic Park move.Depending on the date,it would be a good opportunity to roll out Judkins to tell us about potential picks or players newly picked up.
Also I believe Judkins will be on the final Club Corner this week and will be taking calls from supporters.

GO WOODS

Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:02 pm

I cannot believe that we are taking this suggestion seriously. Do we really want to set our club up like the mighty mighty Shockers?
Do we want to sack the coach and tell everyone but him?
Do we want to let quality players go to other clubs?
Do we want to have one of the lowest attendances of all AFL clubs?
Do we want to halve our membership?

How many ppl attended this meeting? Is what they were told going to happen?
Would you like it known by all and sundry that so & so is slated for trading or delisting? These are things that are normally held close to the chest to improve trading chances.

Sorry people but the CFC, like all good Victorian club, is not a true democracy. The employees of the club work for the best interests of the club, sometimes that means that the members are kept in the dark. Get over it.

The only way to change that is through a "new" board. So Rohan I suggest you put yourself and any like minded friends forward to take on our current board. As they say, change comes from within. First, of course, you must get inside.

-Craig

FAITH

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 5:42 pm

Craig,

I can see were you are coming from. I agree certain things should be kept in the dark regarding trading and drafting matters.

The Fremantle meeting gave an insight to drafting for members and I am sure Phill Smart kept some matters close to his chest.

He rated the performances of each player they drafted this year and also rated the trades they made in the off season (i.e. Peter Bell).

They then discussed what type of player they are after in the upcoming draft.

I am sure he watched what he said and did not let any secrets out. It was more of an information night and because it involved trading/drafting it was very interesting.

You are right in keeping some things "in the dark" but the topics Smart discussed were generally out in the public forum.

Judkins has said that he will answer questions on the radio show. Why not make a night of it were members will be informed and the club can generate some revenue through increased patronage.

In Skob We Trust

Black_White 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:56 am

I must say Rohan that I really could not see any recruiting manager, no matter what club, realistically rating the players and trades.
let's face it, no one would put their hand up and say that our recent dealings with Richmond (you know the one) has been a positive to our club. I'm sure that other clubs have similar skeletons in their closets.
So how much true information would we get from these nights? And if the overall information was of low quality then how long would such an excercise last?
I believe that you are mistaking the desperation of Freo to give their loyal, though few, band of supporters a positive spin on what has been a disaster of a season, with a so called progressive attitude. I'm sure that had the club made the advancements that CFC made this year no such night would ever have existed. Smacks of desperate people desperately trying to save their own jobs.

-Craig

FAITH

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:13 pm

RTC,

Credit where credit is due. Brilliant idea !

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 4:19 pm

You would surprised what certain recruiters think about certain trades. Sheedy is a proven recruiter and he has publicly lamented about losing players while giving credit to picking up decent players.

If recruiters bend the truth regarding certain trades then it is a sad indictment on the football club. A little accountability here and there is all members ask for, that’s not a lot to ask for Craig is it?

The Fremantle meeting is an annual event. This year’s results are irrelevant as the meeting was already planned.

I wouldn't say it’s a desperate move. Fremantle have made some dud moves in the last couple of years. But on the flip side they have recruited some quality youngsters in Pavilivh, Haselby, Leigh Brown and Longmuir.

Maybe there won't be some true information. But what is the difference between Noel Judkins taking calls and discussing trades on a radio show and having an information night with the clubs members.

The difference is that it is a sign of the club catering for its members and making a night of it, which will raise coffers at the club.

In Skob We Trust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: