Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Football great's death 'wake-up call'!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeke Scorpio

Growl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:26 pm
Post subject: Re: Football great's death 'wake-up call'!Reply with quote

Tess wrote:
No-one can be stopped, once the decision has been made. It can be put off, but can't be stopped.

I very strongly disagree with that statement.

Perhaps it is true in your experience, but to make such a ridiculous generalisation is both silly and offensive.

Zeke Scorpio

Growl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that you have very strong personal opinions regarding this issue, and therefore I hope that you can see that those same personal opinions may have clouded your perspective.

I have myself lost a loved one to suicide, but on a positive note have seen others come though it alive.

It's far from simplistic, in fact it's inherently complex. To generalise by saying that once someone has made the decision to end their life, there is no escape from it is simply not true. People can change, heal and grow. Depression and the onset of suicidal behaviour is not always a death sentence.

I think you might need to remove your personal bias from the issue and look at it a little mor eobjectively.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:00 pm

It's a complex issue and we struggle for answers. From my expierences. Once they have decided to end it they have succeeded, then I know of others who are attention seekers who try but always fail.

How do you deal with it? You have to undestand why someones life is so bad that they consider death an option. Beyond Blue is leading the way in highlighting depression as a problem and looking for a cure.
Swanny21 Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:29 pm

From my personal experience I share my thoughts. I suffer Bi-Polar disorder and was prescribed drugs to help me. I have often thought my life was worthless and contemplated ending it, but what that would do to my family, plus my own fears of death always pushed it's way through.

Recently I suffered a drug induced psychosis. I was taking my medication irregularly, often doubling the dose trying to "catch up". It was an enormous struggle fighting my own thoughts, so I went on the "run" to escape them. I almost threw myself under a car and contemplated running my car into a lampost. My wife, who knew I was acting strange, had a hunch and rang my mobile from work and immediately came and took me to the Dr's. I'm telling you this hoping you may be soft on something you really know nothing about unless you know the exact circumstances. I was lucky, the Dr's realised the medication I was taking was not right for me and changed them accordingly.
I could very easily be one of those horrible statistics.

I hope you made some sense out of this
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:55 pm

Swanny21 wrote:
From my personal experience I share my thoughts. I suffer Bi-Polar disorder and was prescribed drugs to help me. I have often thought my life was worthless and contemplated ending it, but what that would do to my family, plus my own fears of death always pushed it's way through.

Recently I suffered a drug induced psychosis. I was taking my medication irregularly, often doubling the dose trying to "catch up". It was an enormous struggle fighting my own thoughts, so I went on the "run" to escape them. I almost threw myself under a car and contemplated running my car into a lampost. My wife, who knew I was acting strange, had a hunch and rang my mobile from work and immediately came and took me to the Dr's. I'm telling you this hoping you may be soft on something you really know nothing about unless you know the exact circumstances. I was lucky, the Dr's realised the medication I was taking was not right for me and changed them accordingly.

Good post Swanni, you sound exactly like a close friend of mine.

Understanding Bi-Polar is hard for some people and looks like your doctor is switched on.

Sounds to me you have a great wife and lucky to have that support close at hand. Take care
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:54 pm

My fiancee's cousin commited suicide a couple of years ago. It is a very touching subject for me and my fiancee. There are often things that remind us of him and it really gets to me.

If anything can be done to help them then it should be done.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:38 pm

Swanny21 wrote:

Congratulations Swanny21. You show a lot of guts to get through it all. I often think that the real heroes in our society, are not sportsman, but people who have to deal with deep problems on a day to day basis, but somehow keep going. You have reason to be proud of yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: