Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

If you use a computer, and download stuff, be worried...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:48 am
Post subject: If you use a computer, and download stuff, be worried...Reply with quote

`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Article is dated August 2003, and this warning is only for those users of M$ products. However, with the new anti-competition laws in the US now in effect, M$ couldn't afford to do this now.

Those of us that use Mozilla (Firefox - Thunderbird) / Open Source (OpenOffice) products have no need to worry.

Hooked
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:27 pm

No its not. It's about much much more than just m$.

Read all of the article, some of the stuff he talks about may already be on your computer through the 'automatic update' features of XP. It's not purely about Windows, its about how the world's computer & software manufacturers are co-operating to help people like the RIAA etc protect against copyright, and the measures they will use to do it. If you go to the blokes homepage you'll find that he lectures on this subject.

Open source (which i use as well) is catered for in the article.

READ ALL THE ARTICLE

I've been downloading songs like crazy the last 2 or 3 years because my friends it is all going to end.

Dale61 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:06 pm

I did read all the article, but you already confirmed what I said when you posted:

Cam wrote:
some of the stuff he talks about may already be on your computer through the 'automatic update' features of XP.

If you don't run XP as your OS, then you don't have automatic updates, or if you do run XP, you can always turn off automatic updates and download them manually.

I still say it's a ploy by M$, going by what he says here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Quote:
Today you can avoid being restricted by proprietary software by not using it. If you run GNU/Linux or another free operating system, and if you avoid installing proprietary applications on it, then you are in charge of what your computer does. If a free program has a malicious feature, other developers in the community will take it out, and you can use the corrected version. You can also run free application programs and tools on non-free operating systems; this falls short of fully giving you freedom, but many users do it.

I bought my pc for me to use how I want, not what the programs on my pc will allow me to do.

Hooked
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:51 pm

Sounds more like another batch of "scare" tactics to stop downloaders.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:01 pm

It's not really pointed at downloaders mortis. Its pointed at everyone using internet updatable programs and/or operating systems or people who will upgrade their computers sometime in the future.

No-one will ever stop peer to peer, thats a given. But they will be able to stop lots of other things... imagine your computer being like an Xbox - that's what they are aiming at, the Xbox is just a prototype for what is to come for pcs.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:05 pm

No-one has been peer to peer that is a givening.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:53 pm

Cam, MS thought they would try and make the Xbox hack proof, but it has been the most hacked console in history...hopefully consoles continue in that direction. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Anyway, I hope that the growth of open source software continues.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:21 pm

Xbox with a mod chip is. Can you use hacked xboxes on the net without tunneling software, ie connect to xbox live?
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:42 am

Here is some right-up-to-date material.

DRM vs. fair use, and why you're caught in the crossfire 12/27/2005 3:58:29 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051227-5852.html

here's a sample-
Quote:
"2005 might be the last good year to get gizmos that aren't locked down." They are, of course, referring to the ongoing efforts by the RIAA and the MPAA to plug every last leak in their safeguards against unauthorized use and copying of their precious content. For fear of lawsuits or in anticipation of coming legislation, our gadgets are dropping consumer-friendly features—like copying media off of a ReplayTV box or ripping backups of retail CDs—at an alarming pace. We're right in the middle of a paradigm shift for the entertainment industry, and the big players are responding to the changes the only way they know how, which is to tighten their grubby little fists around what they consider their greatest treasures. If you buy Neil Diamond's 12 Songs, Sony BMG wants to tell you how and where you can play it, if at all"

On Windows Vista, DRM, and new monitors August 2005
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/hdcp-vista.ars

sample
Quote:
Marcus Matthias, product manager of Windows Digital Media at Microsoft, informed me that Microsoft is committed to Windows offering all the benefits of consumer electronics devices, and this means fully supporting the specifications in play in the consumer electronics arena.

"Any device—whether it be a PC or consumer electronic device—will need to ensure compliance with the specified policies otherwise they risk being unable to access the next-gen DVD content. Clearly we think that offering next-gen DVD content on the PC is much preferable to having the PC excluded from accessing this premium content," he said.

Indeed, Microsoft doesn't really have a choice, and neither does Apple. In fact, if you've been following this game, you'd know that the only reason we're not already stuck in this quagmire is because PC DVD players were grandfathered in, and are exempt from upsampling rules.

So yes, Microsoft is a bit ahead of the curve on this, but that's partially because of their (very long) development cycle—we are talking about an OS that's at least 14 months away (my guess). And while PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management)—which provides a secure path from applications to HDCP output (techdoc in Word)—isn't entirely finalized, the general framework is a certainty.

Apple will be on board too, possibly with the release of Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5). Tiger saw the light of day in April, and with the company intending to release Leopard around the same time as Vista, that means that we'll be seeing HDCP support on the Mac (powered by Intel!) probably around the same time as the release of Windows Vista. And until then, we'll all be scratching our heads as to how our Linux friends will solve this quandary, because HDCP has to be commercially licensed. Well, that is unless DVD Jon swoops in again, but cracking BDA's discs won't be as simple as cracking CSS.

In 5 years time (or less) when we will all want to be using Blue ray or HD disks for backup this will be a problem. The hardware will conspire to keep the software only doing what they want it to do. The window of opportunity is closing.

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:55 am

Well thats what you get when you use a dos box Rolling Eyes
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Cam, I think there are chips out now that allow you to. That wasn't an issue for me. It's great being able to play old NES, SNES, MD, MDII, MS etc games on the xbox. Also good being able to load the games onto the HD etc.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:40 pm

So one day we will be having to buy an ungrade to programs rather then being able to download the updates?

Dale61 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Yes Mortis, but not if you use FREE, open source software.

Replace your IE browser with Firefox, replace your Outlook with Thunderbird
(both can be downloaded at http://www.mozilla.com/), and whilst you are at it, replace M$ Office with OpenOffice 2.0 (http://www.openoffice.org/)

If you ever need to update any of these, you just download the new versions.

Hooked
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:46 pm

I've been using Firefox since January, IE kept annoying the shit out of me, OpenOffice how much different to MS Office is it?

I only use Word, the others i've used because I had to with some of the school I was doing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: