Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Where would the Pies be without immigrants?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it look like?
Culprit Cancer

Shades wrote:
no the point being, that not all lebanese are un-accepting of the "australian way of life"...so to treat the whole lebanese community with the same broad brush of "go back home" is racist....

Last time I looked it's not so called broad brushed Australians not fitting in. Then again the broad brushed Australian with his she'll be right mate attitude is what every loved about coming into this country.

"I am not racist, I love everyone that is white", Dame Edna.
Shades 

PeterW, you havent at all condmened the behaviour of the lynch mob. In fact, you say that it had to happen.

Your post states,
Lebanese being racist =bad
Redneck lynch mob being racist = good

How is that not racist?
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:16 pm
Post subject: Re: Where would the Pies be without immigrants?Reply with quote

Big T wrote:
Was disgusted by the Sydney rubbish the other weekend.

Made me think about the contribution communities such as Lebanese, Greeks, Italians, Yugoslavs etc have made to this great club.

We would be nothing without their contribution.

The media make a big deal out of one tiny part of a minority community and that community is tainted and the rednecks go crazy.

As a Pies member I welcome all communities to the Club as part of the family and look forward to more muslim, asian, european etc members, leaders, players and supporters in the future.

Big T you're a big man mate. I commend you.
Shades 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:30 pm

True TurkishPie, i will stop with the finger pointing and be more positive.

Big T your original post was great and i agree with you 100 percent.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:36 pm

Peter, once again.
Grassby introduced a wider immigration policy, this includes Asian, Chinese. Asian and Chinese were excluded from immigration under the "White Australian Policy"
Grassby also repealed the law where the Aboriginals of Australia had to formally ask the Australian Government for permission to leave Australia.

Your comments on Grassby are wrong. He would be devastated to be associated with the "White Australia Policy".

You are slandering a great Australian.
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:15 pm

I suggest Eunos that you go and look at 'white Australia Policy'
I said in the first instance that Arthur caldwell intrioduced ut along with Al Grassby,BUT on looking at the ALP pages for that era,Grasby tried to introduce multiculterism....BUT not as it is known today.
Caldwell followed up with this policy,BUT as you state and I have to agree that Grassby TRIED to introduce the wider immigration,BUT he was still involved with what we call today multiculterism
Shades...As I said earlier you have NO idea what goes on up here and YES the Leb's are more racist than what we are and they expect us to bow down to them....I am Australian,I was born here,I have fought for my country,I speak English and I abide by the laws of the land,BUT many of these fellows expect us to accept their culters,their way of living and their beliefs....why should we?how many of these Leb's do you know are Australians.....most of them have come out here in the past 15-20 years,are still getting a pension from Lebanon,expect to be able to live off our system and still expect US to let them live here.
I dont consider myself racist,BUT I do condem being thrown outof MY| COUNTRY by a bunch of people who expect me to abide by their culture....sorry not on.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:23 pm

I have just looked up 'white Australia policy' thru MSN and the following link is what I have found....It appears that WE are all wrong,as this all started way back in the 1850 in Lambing Flat......
http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/08abolition.htm check that site out and read all about it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:25 pm

Multiculturism has not worked anywhere else and it won't work here. Racial intolerance by all sides has been simmering away and the lid has been lifted.

The current Federal Government won an election playing the race card.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:37 pm

Culprit wrote:
Multiculturism has not worked anywhere else and it won't work here. Racial intolerance by all sides has been simmering away and the lid has been lifted.

I'd say that Australia is a fantastic example of multiculturalism working well most of the time. Every now and then, we get rednecked yobbos who are so miserable with their own lives that they start looking for another group to put down. Luckily, the reason there has been such a justifiable outcry about the events in sydney is because they are so rare. Most of the time Australians of all nationalities get on pretty well.

When people talk about who are the "real Australians", it's worth remembering that migrants have chosen to become Australian, whereas the rest of us are only Australians by accident of birth. Those who spend their time hating others are trying to hide their own self hatred. Get a life I say.
TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:50 pm

Culprit wrote:

This i agree with.

Culprit you say multiculturalism won't work here, what criteria would need to be met for it to work here?
Big T 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:20 pm

Cooldewd, sorry mate my geography never was the best, I am sure you can make an educated assumption of the part of the world I was referring to without me answering your questions. However if I have offended I do apologise.

For the past 10 years I have always lived in regional Australia including Port Hedland, Port Pirie and Beaudesert and in these towns you see more people like those rednecks on the idiot box last weekend than I would care to remember and it brings up a lot of bad memories and I would hate to think we are going that way. I try to put myself in the shoes of a minority group in this country and I think life would be very hard in the current times and I think we can all help that situation and footy is a great way of bringing all walks of life together as equals.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 pm

PeterWH wrote:
I have just looked up 'white Australia policy' thru MSN and the following link is what I have found....It appears that WE are all wrong,as this all started way back in the 1850 in Lambing Flat......
http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/08abolition.htm check that site out and read all about it.

The white australia policy became the official policy of the Commonwealth soon after Federation in 1901. It was linked to a protectionist trade policy and support for a system of award wages. The whitlam government (in which Grassby was a minister) was the first government to renounce this policy. They were the one's which also began to dismantle our system of tariff protection.

The 3rd plank of these policies - the award wages system - is being dismantled by the Howard government with its regressive industrial relations laws.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 pm

TurkishPie wrote:
Culprit wrote:

This i agree with.

Culprit you say multiculturalism won't work here, what criteria would need to be met for it to work here?

While no one is prepared to respect another persons culture it won't go anywhere. That goes for so called anglo saxons as well.

You can label people rednecks, but racism did not happen overnight and it was not started just by white people either.

It won't work while people choose to reflect on the culture they left behind. If it was so good they would have stayed where they came from.
The reason they left their homes and migrated was to be in a better world so to speak as well they would have been in fear that they would be killed by their Governments. This is not a generalisation it is a fact.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:06 am

Ride the wave of respect
http://www.waveofrespect.com/
http://www.waveofrespect.com/from_here.html

Statement: North Coogee, December 26, 2005

Our society is made up of many, cultures, beliefs, religions, priorities and
    interests. They are diverse, but come together to form our way of life in Australia.
    There is room for everyone, as long as we are law-abiding, tolerant, respectful and
    non-violent.

Violence is never to be tolerated; it is never excusable. No matter who does it - your best
    mate; your neighbour; a relative. It cannot be condoned; it cannot be dismissed as
    understandable. And to incite it is inexcusable.

All leaders - community, government, religious; all media; those who have influence, should
    condemn it and condemn without qualification those who perpetrate it. All leaders should
    actively work to stop violence, to stop their fellow-Australians behaving that way.

We simply say to all those doing it: please stop harassing, bashing, intimidating, hurting,
    inciting, and abusing each other. You are damaging and hurting this country we love.

Like all countries, Australia has some problems. No country is perfect. But overall,
    we are a multi-racial, multi-cultural, decent society, with a quality way of life which places high
    value on human rights and a fair go. We must protect this. Where there are exceptions - where we
    don't have this - we must work hard to ensure we get it - and keep it.

In this country, as in all great societies, tolerance and grace must be extended to all
    citizens regardless of race, religious beliefs or gender.

History teaches us that intolerance, hatred - whatever its basis - and revenge bring
    endless misery. They are destructive. No-one wins. We all lose.

It's actually pretty clear and simple: violence and racism are bad. Whenever they occur,
    they are to be condemned. We should not turn a blind eye to them.

It is about Respect:
    Respect for others,
    Respect for the rights of others,
    Respect for the rights of everyone to go about their lives in a peaceful way - A wave of respect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: