Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our 2005 selections - thoughts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously we saw THomas and Pendlebury as a good combination.

THe only thing that worries me is that both played in the same TAC cup team as Ellis, yet Ellis was the one that stood out the most. All the experts saw these 3 play together in the midfield, and rated Ellis the best of them. That said...Ellis' best footy was probably played away from Gippsland power and with other teams such as Vic Metro etc.

EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:18 pm

leon - you are right lets wait 4 years and come back on 26 November 2009 and see who is right. I look forward to talking to you then. Until then, this is a football site with....errr....football opinions.

Not everybody agrees with everything the footy club does.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm

EddieGold wrote:
leon - you are right lets wait 4 years and come back on 26 November 2009 and see who is right. I look forward to talking to you then. Until then, this is a football site with....errr....football opinions.

Not everybody agrees with everything the footy club does.

you'll be banned long before then.
vinnie_vegas69 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:24 pm

EddieGold wrote:
Yep - but Swallow has no unbelievble upside that no one else can see. So we wouldn't pick someone without unbelievable, supernatural upside.

Who is making our draft selections? The Witches of Eastwick.

Considering that 42 selections went by before Swallow got picked up, you don't think it's likely that he was rated a little bit higher on the internet than he was by actual recruiters.

Considering that we already had 3 midfielders and a medium defender/midfielder, I think a tall defender was pretty much the order of the day at #37...
vinnie_vegas69 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:28 pm

leonmagic wrote:
i feel sorry for you vinnie - with the ammount of idiots around this morning you've had to write that about 6 times on various boards!

Ah, I take it all with good naturedness - sitting down getting ready for a family BBQ chatting about the draft, watching the NBA game on ESPN and drinking the left over Budweiser (the only good American beer) from Thanksgiving (yeah, we're half American - the dad, the brother and the sister were all born in New York)

Nothing is more fun than exercising the futile act of trying to stop people from blindly hating the club.

To EddieGold and Dave: Recruiters know more about this than you. The fact that the selections went differently than you may have done it is probably a good thing
EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:29 pm

vinnie_vegas69 wrote:
leonmagic wrote:
i feel sorry for you vinnie - with the ammount of idiots around this morning you've had to write that about 6 times on various boards!

Ah, I take it all with good naturedness - sitting down getting ready for a family BBQ chatting about the draft, watching the NBA game on ESPN and drinking the left over Budweiser (the only good American beer) from Thanksgiving (yeah, we're half American - the dad, the brother and the sister were all born in New York)

Nothing is more fun than exercising the futile act of trying to stop people from blindly hating the club.

To EddieGold and Dave: Recruiters know more about this than you. The fact that the selections went differently than you may have done it is probably a good thing

Good on you Vinnie, enjoy Thanksgiving buddy.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:08 pm

http://www.magpies.net/nick/article/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1133006708&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

heres some player profiles and that on nicks for anyone interested. If anyone has any opinions on the profiles i gave, then please say so and ill make appropriate changes

vinnie_vegas69....i have not expressed disgust towards the selectors, theres no point since we have never seen these guys play AFL yet, and they are far to early in their careers to judge how good they are. Im only a little bit suprised at our picks and expected differently. But its far to early to criticise the club or our recruiting at this stage.

All im giving is a comment that i think is shared by probably any football expert at the moment that Xavier Ellis was a good thing that we passed on and Scott Pendlebury is a suprise pick. As is Cook at 23. But it may all turn out well.

Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:09 pm

Clearly some pent up frustration here lads.

Look I think everyone (CFC or otherwise) believes that taking Thomas over Ellis as #2 was a gamble. It seems like if the other clubs were in our shoes 80% would have taken Ellis. Clarkson has even rubbed our nose in it on SEN (and that is not his style - "could not believe Collingwood let him thru")

Notwithstanding, those of you that are prepared to back 'Hine' your 100% correct. He certainly knows more than we do and last year he was pretty good - I just hope it didn't go to his head......

Anyway - welcome lads. Look fwd to you running in the B&W next year.

DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:13 pm

Danny Stanley could be this years Sean Rusling. He was predicted to be a first round pick...but missed a lot of footy, thus allowing him to slip through to 21. Seems a little bit fishy. Cook also missed a few games late in 05 when people were starting to pay attention. Hopefully these 2 picks become great players. At the moment, they are both rather risky going by paper.
Snoop Dog 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:22 pm

Brother knows quite a bit about Stanley - played with him down Ocean Grove. My brother should know talent when he sees it to - has played AFL!

Anyway - was delighted when I rang and told him Stanley was with us. Says he already has strong body and likes to use and could well play seniors next year. Likes a good time was the only worry apparently.

Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:23 pm

I'm in shock, I went to school with John Anthony. Shocked
collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:23 pm

Seems like a good outcome to me, we have drafted 4 potential mids, all who can get their own ball (i.e "inside" mids), Thomas can kick goals, Pendelbury is super talented and athletic, Stanley is a charismatic confidant ballwiner, they are all agressive and hard at the contest, they can all kick on both sides of their bodies and they are all quick, what the hell more do you want?!?

We seem to have picke dup a project mid in the bottom aged Cook and likewise a project full-back in the bottom-aged Anthony, seems fine to me, we see somehting in them, they could go much higher if we wait till next year and thier potential upside is greater than the kids a year older than them.

I'm happy. Ellis is an outside recieve type player who lacks pace, if we had have picked him up 2 years from now this whole board would have been moaning about the Pies and MM never learning thier lessons. This whole board will probably still be moaning about something in 2 years, but it probably wont be that our young mids lack pace.

GO PIES IN 06!

Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:24 pm

EddieGold wrote:
leonmagic wrote:
EddieGold wrote:
Canberra - you miss the whole point of drafting. Intelligence.

We could have got both Ellis and Thomas at 2 and 5.

Seriously - you're the LAST person whos thoughts we want to hear about. You've been a pain in the arse all friggin morning with your negative CRAP.

Piss off and have some lunch or something.

You are a clown and know nothing about negotiating and dealing. I have Facts, Facts, Facts to back up every statement I make. And the worst thing for my club, the club I love is, I am right.

I wish I wasn't. :wink:

Mate you're a tool, piss off and go and barrack for Richmond, you have all the traits.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:27 pm

Well Malthouse said we are looking to recruit backs and midfielders. That is what we've come away with. We definately have depth and have got the sort of players we wanted.

The only concern is the players we let slip through such as Ellis, Hurn, Higgins, Swallow etc. Hurn and Swallow seem to have been severely overrated.

But in terms of what we wanted...we've come away with a good result. Thomas v Ellis is going to be a huge talking point, THomas has perhaps more game breaking ability, whilst Ellis has the potential to be Dal Santo

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:46 pm

We wanted Murphy 1. We wanted Thomas 2. We wanted Ellis 3. We wanted Pendlebury 4. We did not have another pick until 21. Hence what we got!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: