Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood - Dale Thomas - Selection Number 2

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

EddieGold wrote:
Thomas would have still been there at 5

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

We took them to the cleaners!

Both times they had picks after us

At 3 they took 10 minutes to make their pick because they wanted Thomas but we took him.

At 22 they took 10 minutes to make their pick because they wanted Stanley.

It was blatantly obvious both times.
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:42 am

Eddie - get a grip son!

Ellis needs to add 20kgs (can he?) to be competitive at AFL level.

Big question is if he can play midfield and win own ball.... as he played HBF @ U 18's and was an OUTSIDE player.
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:44 am

Time to pull out the TAC Cup Grand Final Video and have a look. This guy is a ready to play 'jet' midfielder that everyone thinks we needed - can't be that bad a choice.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:54 am

leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:56 am

anyone else notice his draft camp number from the first pic? Smile
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:57 am

leonmagic wrote:

Don't even think about it! Razz
foxychick Gemini

jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:58 am

he's cute haha
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:58 am

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
leonmagic wrote:

Don't even think about it! Razz

hahaha nah i know theyre totally different types. i just thought it was a nice touch.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:59 am

Yep, I did (42)!!! (omen ?) Rolling Eyes

Thomas......"the Tank". Welcome to the Pie Army! Very Happy

Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:00 pm

Of all the top picks he is the most 'Judd like' (fast goal kicking midfielder) and that is what will allow me to sleep at night (under the assumption he will be as good as Judd Razz )
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:00 pm

hairbear, the second coming of wearmouth, but i am very glad we took him... read the wiz's report on him, it will make you feel gooooood Smile

http://www.voy.com/51976/43771.html

go and read, then smile.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:01 pm

Pies always manage to surprise in the draft don't they!

Thomas should be a good get, Pendlebury at 5 was very interesting (ahead of Ryder, Hurn, Jones, Drum, Dowler, Oakley-Nicholls)!

Stanley and Cook were expected to go later and Anthony is a real surprise.
TheGaffer 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:04 pm

Mr. Chairman wrote:
EddieGold wrote:
Thomas would have still been there at 5

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

We took them to the cleaners!

Both times they had picks after us

At 3 they took 10 minutes to make their pick because they wanted Thomas but we took him.

At 22 they took 10 minutes to make their pick because they wanted Stanley.

It was blatantly obvious both times.

Buckenarra (Hawthorn recruit manager) kept saying that outside of Murphy, Ellis was the best player. Well it shows from the time they took to make a decision after us that we stumped them as they tried to bluff everyone.
collingwoodjoe 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:19 pm

From Colin Wisbey over on Hotrods;

Quote:
What you are buying is:-

1. A never-say-die who never plays a genuinely poor game. You can count on him to contribute to every game, albeit without often getting special stats or ever challenging for the Brownlow.
2. An almost 6' dasher who takes them on and runs the lines yet, unlike many for whom that description applies, is certainly not outside. Quick, slippery.
3. A terrier who attacks the man as keenly as he attacks the ball. Works hard both ways.
4. Work ethic.
5. Versatility.
6. Leadership and a nice, mature, sensible kid with infectious personality. A good personaility to have around a club.
7. A potential team lifter

- Fairly handy around goals but good in-close too.

- Most people would question why I have Thomas a bit earlier in my rankings than Xavier Ellis. (I often use Ellis as the yard stick for mids as he is well known and plays the same very week):-
-----------------
Ellis is a reliable kick, an elite reader of the player, a very good contested mark, and has wonderful vision. Not that Thomas is any slouch in these areas but Ellis is the better.

On the other hand, Thomas is a ball-carrier and, at times, a "run through the 50" goal-kicker, which Ellis is not.

Thomas is genuinely dual-sided. Ellis is basically one-sided.

Both get a roughly similar amount of the pill but, other than marking, Ellis relies mainly on receives and the mistakes of others. Thomas gets more of his own ball.

Thomas is fierce at both man and ball, which Ellis is not. Thomas' intensity is way ahead of Ellis'. He is routinely determined and desperate.

Thomas is accountable. Ellis is not.

AFL-wise, Thomas presents as much more versatility. He could play anywhere down the flanks and perhaps onball and or even run-with in time. Ellis' current outsidedness would have to radically change for him to have much versatility. It might, but it would be mere blind faith to state that it definitely will. Thomas's game is suited to team various game plans - from fast-moving / fast scoring to dour scrumby. Ellis' is not. In various Ellis games, it seemed that Ellis plays as if the team game plan comes to Ellis. Thomas adapts himself to the team game plan. Some of those comments may turn out to be unfair on Ellis. I'm just explaining how I see things based on what we have seen to date.
What you are buying is:-

1. A never-say-die who never plays a genuinely poor game. You can count on him to contribute to every game, albeit without often getting special stats or ever challenging for the Brownlow.
2. An almost 6' dasher who takes them on and runs the lines yet, unlike many for whom that description applies, is certainly not outside. Quick, slippery.
3. A terrier who attacks the man as keenly as he attacks the ball. Works hard both ways.
4. Work ethic.
5. Versatility.
6. Leadership and a nice, mature, sensible kid with infectious personality. A good personaility to have around a club.
7. A potential team lifter

- Fairly handy around goals but good in-close too.

- Most people would question why I have Thomas a bit earlier in my rankings than Xavier Ellis. (I often use Ellis as the yard stick for mids as he is well known and plays the same very week):-
-----------------
Ellis is a reliable kick, an elite reader of the player, a very good contested mark, and has wonderful vision. Not that Thomas is any slouch in these areas but Ellis is the better.

On the other hand, Thomas is a ball-carrier and, at times, a "run through the 50" goal-kicker, which Ellis is not.

Thomas is genuinely dual-sided. Ellis is basically one-sided.

Both get a roughly similar amount of the pill but, other than marking, Ellis relies mainly on receives and the mistakes of others. Thomas gets more of his own ball.

Thomas is fierce at both man and ball, which Ellis is not. Thomas' intensity is way ahead of Ellis'. He is routinely determined and desperate.

Thomas is accountable. Ellis is not.

AFL-wise, Thomas presents as much more versatility. He could play anywhere down the flanks and perhaps onball and or even run-with in time. Ellis' current outsidedness would have to radically change for him to have much versatility. It might, but it would be mere blind faith to state that it definitely will. Thomas's game is suited to team various game plans - from fast-moving / fast scoring to dour scrumby. Ellis' is not. In various Ellis games, it seemed that Ellis plays as if the team game plan comes to Ellis. Thomas adapts himself to the team game plan. Some of those comments may turn out to be unfair on Ellis. I'm just explaining how I see things based on what we have seen to date.

Ellis is average off the mark and has good pace after that. He doesn't currently do much of the "after that" though. Thomas is quicker than Ellis over ground and much quicker off the mark.

Ellis is taller and probably has the better leap.

Ellis is 8 months younger and hasn't had the depth of TAC experience that Thomas has.

Thomas has a frame that would appear to be more likely to finish up with a reasonable build --for AFL.

Ellis is average off the mark and has good pace after that. He doesn't currently do much of the "after that" though. Thomas is quicker than Ellis over ground and much quicker off the mark.

Ellis is taller and probably has the better leap.

Ellis is 8 months younger and hasn't had the depth of TAC experience that Thomas has.

Thomas has a frame that would appear to be more likely to finish up with a reasonable build --for AFL.

sounds good to me! inside mid potential, good choice.

EddieGold 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:37 pm

I have no problem with Thomas but we should have got both Thomas and Ellis at 2 and 5.

Pendlebury at 5 was very interesting (ahead of Ryder, Hurn, Jones, Drum, Dowler, Oakley-Nicholls) is just another stupid UNACCOUNTABLE selection along the lines of Danny Roach and Billy Morrison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: