Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Season

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:49 pm
Post subject: The SeasonReply with quote

Overall it was a passable season. A 50 per cent strike rate is about were we are, however at the same time we had an opportunity to play finals and we didn’t. Near enough is not good enough.

However there are a lot of positives to take out of the season:

1. The recruiting of Molloy, Holland and Clement. Has been a big part of the increase of 4 wins on last year. The jury is still out on Wakelin, Steinfort and Rintoul.

2.The development of youngsters such as Lonie, Nick Davis (should be on more money than Tarrant), Leon Davis, Tarrant and O’Bree.
3.50 percent in such a hard draw is a fair result. Let’s make it easier next year and demand less blockbusters.

4.Nathan Buckley was our best player this year. Followed by Nick Davis, James Clement and the much maligned Anthony Rocca.

5.A perfect interstate record. Is a fair achievement for a young side and is the first time we have achieved the "grand slam" since 1992.

Some negatives.

1.We have one of the worst defences in the AFL (ranked 11th) and have to target a tall, mobile defender in the trading period. Prestigicamo has had a disappointing season and the buck stops with him.

2.We also have a glaring weakness in the ruck division. Josh is not a ruckman and is taking a physical battering much like Gavin Brown did for many years as he was played in a position that was physically beyond him. Have to target an Everitt or Stafford if we are going to go anywhere as a side.

Trades/delists

1.Scotland and Kinnear should not be traded. Scotland has been harshly done by this year and should take over Licuira’s position as the playmaker out of defence. He finds his targets better than Licuiria.

2.Licuiria and Johnson appear to be tradable commodities. I would not trade Burns, but if we could secure an Everitt, Solomon or Gasper out of a Burns trade, I would take it.

3.Wasley, Stone, Baynes, Tuckey and Lane (last two could attract a low draft pick) should be delisted. Lane’s game today was even worse than his weak Carlton performance.

In Skob We Trust

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God, this must be a kodak moment. I almost entirely agree with Rohan.

ed healey 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2001 3:09 pm

areseytee i agree with you a bit for a change.
Scoots is worth another go,kinnear has shown a bit,licka has been the backbone of the side this year and if you say he should go you have been watching st kevins too often.
Licka will be in the top 5 at the copeland again,hardly bad effort.Nick davis,taz,are playing in wrong positions,Taz cannot yet handle the tags so he should be the flank,Ant and josh alternate full forward and neon has the roving forward cum wing potential.
Tuckey,wasley should go,if we get a ruckman mckee should go,i like lane,he has a go and is a ball magnet and goalkicker.
Molloy,Clement,Holland,Rintoul,Wakes,Steinfort are all worth keeping,they have value,we dont have much to trade really apart from early draft picks,i reckon we should nearly stick with our list,delist a few,and keep our draft picks.

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:57 pm

Agree Rohan.

However I don't believe Burns is tradable, his performance on Sunday was an indication of what we missed all year. He is injury prone, however, so an Everitt or Stafford trade for him may be on the cards, I wouldn't argue with that, but it would be disapointing to see him go.

Scotland must be given a chance next year.

Johnson is in the same mould as Rowdy, so I would say keep him for another year and see how he developes.

The six you mentioned in point 3 must be delisted if the club wants to move foward, but there are others as well, such as Shaw.

One question for everybody, what do you think is going to happen with Damien Adkins? He would have to put in a huge pre-season in order to have a chance next season.

daicos4ever

2002 - The Year of the Pie
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:09 pm

Good post Rohan. I don't agree Burns is tradeable though.

On Adkins, he should be kept..he is an absolute gun and was unlucky to get injured early this year. An uninterrupted pre season will do him the world of good. He should have a good year next year (hopefully).

JDF

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 03 September 2001).]
Spongo 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 1:12 pm

Unfortunately, I agree with RCT as well. there are only two points I want to take up. First, a stafford or everitt trade woudl certainly be worth burns johnson and a draft pick. Secondly, Licuria is not tradeable commondity. It is all well and good to say that he turns it over, but he is getting so much of the ball it is bound to happen! Also, if he isn't there to stop the ball moving intot he opposing FORds, then they get an easy run, don't they

Pies rock Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 2:16 pm

Rohan, stop trying to get rid of Presti! We need a blanket in the backline to take the oppostions best tall. When Shags and Richo go soon, he's the only man that can do that. Presti is a legend, back me up people.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:07 pm

Pies Rock,

I am not convinced about Prestigicamo. If we could swap him in a package for a quality key defender the club should jump at the chance.

He is a solely a negator and this type of defender is being superseded in today's game. A defender has to have the ability to spoil but also run off his opponent and set up play from the backline. Prestigicamo does not have this and we have to target someone in the mould of Hay.

Dermott also said this as he rates Prestigicamo a good honest battler. He also stated that if we are too develop as a side we need to acquire a quality defender who runs off his opponents and takes on their best forward.

Yesterday's game was indicative of his average season. A dud in Joe McClaren kicked goals on him and he generally got lost near the goals.

In Skob We Trust

Lockyer24 Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:11 pm

Presti is invaluable for his awesome "close checking". His offensive skills are slowly improving. Hes a valuable member of the team.
Richo is dependable when fit, but is starting to conk out a bit, thus the need Kinnear and co to step up.
Wakelin is dependable sometimes, shocking the rest. He will cost us a game one day. Im not a fan.

Presti gets the thumbs up from me anyhow.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:20 pm

Sir Scott Burns is a gun. There is no way you could even think about trading a person with a Knighthood.

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
The room service guy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 4:23 pm

PRESTI IS A FARKING GUN!

I can't believe you've said his season was disappointing. He played 21 games, and only struggled early cos he wasn't ever on the ground, don't u remember RCT??
I don't get to see a lot of the games, but the ones i do see, he is almost always on his opponents tail, wearing them like the proverbial glove and getting his fist in to spoil. He never lets his teammates and club down and always gives 10 10s. He does have limitations to his game, such as athleticism and disposal, but he keeps improving, and that's all you want to see in a player is continual improvement. Getting rid of Presti is a step backward, cos tell me RCT, who would fill his position next year, and who'd do a better job??
To justify my point, he stitched up Chris Grant a few weeks ago, admittedly against an average side, but a near All-Australian player. But the one thing I'll remember about Presti this year is one of the games i did see live this year, against Port. Richo was out injured that night, and I reckon Presti had spent almost the whole of the last three games on the pine. Port were on fire at that stage. He played on Tredrea that night, who is such a good player and has just been named the best CHF for the year. Presti beat Tredrea convincingly that night, and that was probably the pivotal duel that made the difference.
So RCT, I agree with a lot of what you've said but please don't hang it on Presti! I think he's doing what most supporters expect him to do.

On another point, I just saw the All-Australian side. How the hell was Wanganeen named in the back pocket?? Not bad for bloke who has kicked over 30 goals. I think it shows how even everything is now, and the constant switching of players. There haven't been many brilliant permanent small defenders this year.

R.I.P. Kevin Fahey:
A true legend of Collingwood FC &
Rosanna CC

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 9:24 pm

I tend to agree with Rohan as far as Presti goes. He would be tradable IF and ONLY IF we get a good deal, i.e. key defender. He reminds me a little of a Mick Gayfer type of player, meant in the positive sense. We do not need to swap him for this years Ricky O or something of that ilk.

However, I think we have already 2 ready made recruits for next year, Burns and Adkins(?), who bth played about as much footy as me this year.

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:19 am

Well Rohan for a change I think you made fair statements on all points except for Presti. The buck doesn't stop with him. You can't blame one person for the failing of the whole backline. Presti didn't have his best season, early on that was because Malthouse had him sitting on the pine and later on in the season he clearly wasnt fit. Give Presti another go. I like him, he tries his guts out and stops his man.

Fradam Wrote This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: