Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

..warning, long read.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*miss_magpie* Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 4:41 pm
Post subject: ..warning, long read.Reply with quote

This may bore some people, but i just thought i'd write this all down, if ya don't like long reads, then i guess.. just don't read it.

From those famous black and white stripes to the not-so-recent success of the club, we were all, for one reason or another, drawn to the luxurious life of a Collingwood Supporter.
Whether it was inherited from one family member to another, or it just purely seemed like the way to go, we all have our own reasons for choosing to be a part of this clubs proud supporter base.

For me, I just couldn't go passed the closeness between Collingwood supporters. Being a Collingwood supporter is like having a second family, just by taking a look at the friendships
that are developed through this site make that blindingly obvious. (thanks nick and mike)

At a young age I was tragically brainwashed by a Richmond supporter .. these were tough times, but, before long, I came into the light when I was sat down in front of a television screen with my Grandad, who i worshipped at the time, and made to watch one of the greatest football games in my lifetime,
the 1990 Grand final. Now at the time I didn't understand more than one or two of the rules, and to me, kicking a ball through two big sticks was pointless, but seeing the crowd so emotional and united, was enough for me to know..from that moment onwards, I saw nothing but black and white. The gladiators that walked the field that day had once more recruited a young magpie fan, their strength and courage was just amazing to me. If only I knew how rare seeing a premiership was….

Between then and now, however, the success of the club isn't all too attractive as we all know, with the short-lived finals series in the mid-early nineties, we lacked the spirit and
determination that surrounds the magpie name, but, as loyal as Collingwood supporters are, we've all stuck around.

Coming from a family with little to no interest in football, I didn't have much chance to go to football matches up until the end of the 90's when I was taken to Collingwood Vs North Melbourne at the MCG.
Now, when trying to promote more supporters to the club, I highly recommend that the Collingwood football club take their young recruits to a North Melbourne game, just seeing the
difference between the amount of support for one team than the other was enough to convince me that choosing the Mighty Magpies was the right way to go.
For what seemed like a lifetime in the slums, this season the pies after recruiting well and training hard in the pre-season, have finally shown us that they are still, the Collingwood we all
know and love.
With a few close loss's that for some reason we couldn't turn into wins (but perhaps should have) many miraculous wins when others thought impossible, and a few strong defeats, our young boys have dragged themselves, kicking and screaming through the hard times to make a name for themselves, and shake the bad reputation we sadly have had in the past, as the pretenders of the AFL.
With the end of the season only one game away, and a new one just around the corner – so to speak, again, we will have missed out on the finals series, but for the first year in a long time we gave the top teams a run for their money and without a doubt in my mind I feel that next year will be our year to grace the final 8 with our presence… lucky them.
We’re finally a tough, courageous, un-predictable football side, with experience we will add conquering to that list and I can see good things coming for all Collingwood supporters.
This year may not be the greatest but there are many good years to come and just getting as far as we have this year is a privilege, who would have thought this time last year we would be so high on the ladder after finishing so low. Next year will be the proving one for us, lets hope it’s for the better.
It’s been a good season, many great games and fun trips, lets make the canberra trip worth it’s while, it’ll be our last for months.. GO PIES!!!!

_-~`*#24-Tarks & Johno-#26*`~-_
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

good stuff. love reading this kinda thing.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:08 pm

It's nice to read something positive around here for a change. There's been a bit too much doom and gloom lately for my liking.

Thanks, Miss Magpie.

**floreat pica**

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:32 am

Jess

I hear you and i like what i hear that was marvellous even the gold wig is nodding in appreciation in what you have just said..keep the passion jess OUR day will come

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:33 am

Excellent post MissMagpie.
I am a little older and can remember when we didn't hope to make the finals. we knew we'd be there. We just hoped we would win it this year. Finally we did in 1990 and all broke loose.

I can't help thinking how well a club like Essondon will do with the younger supporters and thier current success. We need that. As you indicated, next year is so important.

Lets hope the players and supporters go out in style on the weekend and set up 2002 for our assendancy to the throne.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:48 am

Good on ya Miss Magpie - it's nice to see that the passion for the Pies still burns in the younger fans (shit that makes me sound old!).

I remember 1990 vividly - but I want it to become a fading memory replaced by more recent success. Bring on 2002!

Malklas 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:50 am

brings a tear to my eye....tissues pls

Go Pie Pride....join in and everyones a winner.

The room service guy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 12:32 pm

I Luv it Jess!!
There's still hope for us young supporters yet!!

R.I.P. Kevin Fahey:
A true legend of Collingwood FC &
Rosanna CC

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 1:48 pm

Great read Jess...
The closeness of Collingwood supporters really hit me when I finally came down for a game this year againist the Roos. I was really nervous not knowing anyone, but i was overwhelmed with the friendliness shown by the Collingwood supporters towards me. Especially from the members i met from this board.

I believe this is unique to Collingwood and will continue to be so. Again, great read Jess.

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:01 pm

Inspirational

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:13 pm

Great Stuff, very good read.

JDF
biodave 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:35 pm

another adjective: beautiful
great stuff missmagpie.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:59 pm

It's almost impossible to put that feeling into words, but you've come oh so close - thankyou Jess.

No need to thank us - as I keep saying the BB is just the people like you that make it up.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:39 pm

Great post miss magpie. I'm sitting here in 35 degree central heating and I have goose bumps.

That's what makes it great supporting the Pies. We can all read something like that and relate. 1990 (notice how we just have to say "1990" and we all know what that means???) was the second best day of my life. (I have a daughter - I HAVE to say 2nd best!) I was 19 and I'll never forget what that day meant. How that day felt. And when it was over, I thought to myself "I don't care if we never win it again - THIS is enough". And it was. For a while. Then the hunger came back, and I wanted to feel that again.

The past few years have not given us a heap of hope in that regard, but I truly believe the potential is now with us. We may have faded this year, but what should not fade is the faith.

I'm so proud of the way we stood up this year and showed the other clubs that although we're still maybe a bit inexperienced, we're on our way and WATCH OUT. We go into next season in as good, if not better a position as anyone else. And I can't wait!

I LOVE supporting Collingwood. There's no greater feeling on earth.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 3:44 pm

Well done there, Miss_Magpie !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: