Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NOT RESPECTED

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpie.girl 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 7:53 am
Post subject: NOT RESPECTEDReply with quote

I went to a sponsors night last night at a rival AFL club, due to company sponsorship, and the president of the club made a speech. This speech was obviously directed at keeping the sponsors on board for next year, but I was interested in his evaluation of some of the other clubs.

He labelled Freo a basketcase, and said that he had spoken to a few of the assistants around and had shown them the financial report of freo, and warned them off taking up any offer.

He believes that the dogs will struggle over the next 2-3 years to survive, not only because of dwindling money and support, but they have a team going down to the cellar pretty quickly.

Then he moved on to Collingwood. Good financial position, thanks to Eddie, and the ability of some of the big interstate teams to raise revenue that may only be matched by the Bummers in Melbourne. As for our team, not real complimentary. They (their football dept.) rate us as a bottom 3 team, and believe that we have over-achieved,and will struggle to win games next year. He also said that we are the worst recruiters in Melbourne, and that our crop of youngsters have only got the press the have because we have had to play them, not because they are better than anyone elses. He reckons that his team, along with the Bombers have the best group of young players in melbourne (suppose he would have to say that) and with our draft choices over the past few years, positions of, we have done very little to secure top players. Our trading is ordinary.
Basically, if we weren't Collingwood, and we didn't have McGuire talking us up all the time, we would be copping all sorts of flack from the media.

In a nut shell, their football dept. don't rate us, and believe with our list we will not make finals in the near future.

Not what I wanted to hear.

Pies R Us

MarkT 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Which club???
He was partly right.
Our recruiting, given our draft choices has been average at best and pre Eddie it was an absolute disgrace. However, over 4 or so years we have built up the best group of youngsters seen at the pies for a long time. I say that because they look like being not just good players but superstars.

Josh and Nick Davis will be absolute top level players. I must admit that in the end we were blessed with these 2 because Davis was a father/son pick and Josh was a no brainer selection. Nevertheless these 2, along with Tarrant, Lonnie, L.Davis, O'Bree, Adkins and hopefully Didak (unproven as yet) and Shaw must make the most promising list of VERY young players seen for a long time.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:07 am

Not being respected suits me just fine. Let them see us as the underdogs.

JDF
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 8:08 am

What do you expect at a sponsors' function? Collingwood are a good team, but give us your money?

Going on the few hints that you have given ie. the need to bag the Pies while not bagging Eddie, I'd say it was John Elliott.

Don't take it too seriously. The aim of the game is to attract and keep sponsors. The Pies can attract sponsors even when they're in the depths - imagine our appeal when we're firing. The fact that he talked about us at all means that we are a threat and that sponsors may find us attractive - have to knock that on the head (good luck).

Of course he had to talk us down, particularly if it was a Carlton function.

Good to hear that we've got them worried.

Malklas 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:19 am

deadly true....

Were digging our own grave with the help of rival teams.

Go Pie Pride....join in and everyones a winner.

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 9:58 pm

What would a football club president know about football anyway?

oops, I hope Eddie didn't read that

Seriously ... who gives a flying root what other clubs think of Collingwood?

What's more important, Magpie Girl, is what do YOU think of Collingwood.

What do WE think of Collingwood?

What do I think of Collingwood?

As for the recruiting, we've gained a lot more valuable players than we've lost over the last 3 years. There have been some mistakes, but over all our list is getting better all the time.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

1999 ... 4 wins
2000 ... 7 wins
2001 ... 10 wins (with 1 game to go)

Ask any mathematician which way the graph is heading.

Over-achieving ! ! !

What a load of bollocks.

Bloody hell. The Western Bulldogs have been "over-achieving" since 1997 and they've done all right. They've had a great run.

I just hope we can "over-achieve" our way to a bloody premiership.

No doubt there'll be a clean out over the summer. A few players will go. A few player will come.

Don't quit before the miracle.

**floreat pica**

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2001 2:38 am

Alf, everything you said is true - except for 1 thing.
Last year and before it would have been a mirracle. Now it is a probability. The miracle has already occurred, we are just watching it unfold.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: