Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

roar wrote:
Ha, good one Hal!

Every year there are "experts" condemning Hine and the recruiters for not picking who they believe should have picked, and more often than not, they are proven wrong.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the new recruits a few years to establish whether it was a good choice or not, but no, these "experts" know it all before the kids have even pulled on the black and white stripes.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change and people continue posting uniformed and ignorant comments.

I am quite sure he was joking when he suggested that we re-draft Gault.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:09 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
roar wrote:
Ha, good one Hal!

Every year there are "experts" condemning Hine and the recruiters for not picking who they believe should have picked, and more often than not, they are proven wrong.

It wouldn't be so bad if they gave the new recruits a few years to establish whether it was a good choice or not, but no, these "experts" know it all before the kids have even pulled on the black and white stripes.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to change and people continue posting uniformed and ignorant comments.

Not necessarily. https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/in-form-swan-districts-big-man-corey-gault-stakes-claim-for-second-afl-chance-ng-b88860199z

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 pm

As soon as I saw Stewart was dropped, I thought of nicks.
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:43 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
roar wrote:
Ha, good one Hal!

It's not the Gault comment I was referring to but rather, most of the posts on the first pages in this thread and almost any other thread about recruitment. Remember the outrage at choosing Pendlebury at 5? Or how about the abuse Hine copped for choosing Sier with a pick in the 30s?

jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:47 pm

You can all take pot shots at Stewart if you like, but who do we have better at the moment, of his height, agility and abilty getting a regular game?

Moore might be better, if he ever stays fit.
Mihocek may be very good, but has only had the one game.

It was a very poor recruiting move not to recruit him with the pick we got for Cloke, that WE NEVER USED.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:11 pm

jatsad wrote:
You can all take pot shots at Stewart if you like, but who do we have better at the moment, of his height, agility and abilty getting a regular game?

It was a very poor recruiting move not to recruit him with the pick we got for Cloke, that WE NEVER USED.

There's a slight problem with your story Bro. Collingwood DID approach Stewart and GWS, but HE CHOSE to go to Essendon.

The fact we had a pick we didn't use is utterly fkn irrelevant, he CHOSE essendon., it wasn't a poor recruiting move at all

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/james-stewart-feels-right-at-home-at-essendon-but-knows-theres-more-to-life-than-afl-footy/news-story/b45aab9818587da87279db44db54bcad

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:30 pm

And just to hammer the point home, we DID use the pick we got for cloke. Pick 76.

We traded that pick to Brisbane, along with our 2017 3rd round pick and Jack Frost, in exchange for Brisbane's 2017 3rd and 4th round draft picks.

Clearly stocking up on points in case we needed to match bids for Daicos and Brown.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
jatsad wrote:

There's a slight problem with your story Bro. Collingwood DID approach Stewart and GWS, but HE CHOSE to go to Essendon.

The fact we had a pick we didn't use is utterly fkn irrelevant, he CHOSE essendon., it wasn't a poor recruiting move at all

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/james-stewart-feels-right-at-home-at-essendon-but-knows-theres-more-to-life-than-afl-footy/news-story/b45aab9818587da87279db44db54bcad

He chose Essendon because his old man was upset we didn't initially draft him under f/s.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:13 am

^

Whatever his reason, saying it was a poor recruiting decision not to get him when he left GWS when we tried and he chose another club, is just dead set stupid and completely ignorant of the facts.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:43 am

jatsad wrote:

We chose not to take him father/son because we didn't feel he was worth the draft pick. Tick from me.

We approached him to see if we could get him for around what he's worth, almost nothing, but he chose Essendon instead. I'm comfortable with that, backup level talls are not hard to find.

We've been smart over the last couple of years in moving out talls that aren't quite good enough. Bringing in more would have been a step backwards. Those players should come in on minimum pay, like Mihocek. Essendon made a mistake in signing him and an even bigger one in over playing him, he's seriously hurt them.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:47 am

Oh I get it. Very interesting.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:07 pm

jatsad wrote:

List clogger

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:29 pm

jatsad wrote:

Mihocek may be very good, but has only had the one game...

Stewart would be getting a game ahead of Mihocek on his mobility in and around F50

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:36 pm

^^So, as our 4th choice tall forward? Huge recruitment failure.

In my view, neither are first choice AFL standard. They're backup players and I don't really care who we have in that role as long as they are being paid very little. Mihocek definitely ticks that box.

Edit: will add that Mihocek may actually be our 5th choice tall forward. McClarty was injured when he was selected and if he's not ahead of him he soon will be.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:04 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^So, as our 4th choice tall forward? Huge recruitment failure.

In my view, neither are first choice AFL standard. They're backup players and I don't really care who we have in that role as long as they are being paid very little. Mihocek definitely ticks that box.

Edit: will add that Mihocek may actually be our 5th choice tall forward. McClarty was injured when he was selected and if he's not ahead of him he soon will be.

I'm hoping McLarty comes on in 2019 and becomes that tall marking forward that we lack, as well as a good backup ruckman which unfortunately, Dawes was not able to do. If McLarty can do that we won't need Tom Lynch, Cox or Reid in the side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 44 of 48   

Jump to: