Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood, Derek Hine

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Hine was responsible for the 2004 recruiting. I think that in itself speaks volume of the man. I think its fair to say that he has picked players that are more than capable of playing AFL! Egan, Rusling, Cloke (Although he would have been picked anyway) and Yakka have all shown that they are capable at AFL level and what happens from here really depends on theri development!

He certainly has a lot of work to do and needs to nail the upcoming draft in order to rectify the disastrous work from Noel Dudkins in the 01-02 & 03 Drafts! I am confident he can!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:58 am

Hine was the one who did the recruiting last year. So far, things look good.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:15 am

spoljar wrote:
Derek Hine was responsible for the 2004 recruiting. I think that in itself speaks volume of the man. I think its fair to say that he has picked players that are more than capable of playing AFL! Egan, Rusling, Cloke (Although he would have been picked anyway) and Yakka have all shown that they are capable at AFL level and what happens from here really depends on theri development!

Agree spoljar. Our recruiting was great last year.

Look back two years - we had some kids on the list who had yet to play a senior game after two years on our list. This year, I think we've played all our draftees - and every one of them deserved their spot (except perhaps for Fanning, promoted out of necessity - though he, too, is starting to look good).

Perhaps our past recruits were somewhat unlucky, given they would have had to break into a very strong side - but even when they did, they showed little. Even after one or two years' development.

This time around we've picked up some kids who have proven they're pretty much ready to go. Good on you, Hiney! We've learned our lessons - you can't go to the draft and recruit a full complement of medium-to-long-term development players.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:40 am
Post subject: Get Super Recruiter!Reply with quote

Hi All,

Read an article somewhere maybe a month ago that talked about the recruiter that was responsible for the Lions recruitment in the 90's, and who has for the last few years has been working with the Bulldogs putting their list together.

Since we've got a stack of money in the bank, we could do worse than throw some at him. He obviously knows a lot about selecting young, quality footballers.

Does anybody know his name? or more about him ?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Its irrelevant because according to Ed, our national recruiting Manager Derek Hine is the only one who is exempt from the end of season review of the footy department...I assume thats because he hasn't had a chance to show his stuff in a draft yet? Can anyone confirm this?
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:12 pm

I was under the impression Hine had a big say in who we drafted last season, but as usual, I could be in cloud cuckoo land on that one.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Where were you the impression Hine had a big say in who we drafted last season but he or she could be in cloud cuckoo land on that one?
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:15 pm

ya may be right LD, maybe they think it wouldnt be fair to judge him after only 1...

Last edited by Damien on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 pm

well, if he did do last years draft, those guys have had more senior games than the likes of billy morrison and some of the tother plodders we've picked up and delisted over the last couple of years. That makes him a winner at the moment.
Tony Francis Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:07 pm

His name is Scott Clayton. He was under the pump til this year because the blokes he picked (Giansiracusa, McMahon, Ray, McGunniess, Sam Power, Gilbee, Cross, Birss etc) had not put on weight and couldn't get a kick. Now they have improved under a new coach and he is begin hailed as the messiah.

His philosophy is to pick the best available talent which has led to the fleet of running mids they now have, and no talls. Still, he's done a great job at extracting talent form deep in the draft.
CMPie 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:45 pm

Tony Francis wrote:
His philosophy is to pick the best available talent which has led to the fleet of running mids they now have, and no talls. Still, he's done a great job at extracting talent form deep in the draft.

This should be our strategy. That would at least leave us with good/best available players (who we could then trade if we had to) rather than a group of talls who are not capable of playing at the top level.

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:53 pm

Collingwoods Previous Number One Strategy for recruiting was to pick players based on Bird Signs!
What you do is yell the players name out and look up in the sky!
If the Seagulls are flying Clock Wise, you recruit them!

If that failed, then we go to plan B and base all our decisions on nominations for the "Australian of the Year Award"!

And if all else fails, than we go to Plan C and pick players that were outstanding and received a B.O.G in the Under 9's!
jeremyd 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:10 pm

Anyone interested in recruiting philosophies should read "Moneyball".
It is about the Oakland A's baseball team that operate at a sustained level of success on about a quater of the budget of other outfits.
Well worth the read and i would hope the club has asked Mr.Hine to peruse.
On the early indicators of his first batch we could be going somewhere.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:51 pm

There was an article about it in The Age a month ago. He and Terry Wallace tired to model their draft picks on Brisbane. Hine is doing a good job, though.

-This draft must be aimed at quick, ball carrying midfielders.
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:54 am

Eddie said Hine was not under review cos he was a newbie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 2 of 48   

Jump to: