Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#45, #30 David Fanning

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big things start small.
RayByrneForPOPE Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:40 pm

I'd have Fanning in the ruck any day before Fraser.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 am

Obviously people who comment about him being a crap ruckman are clueless into why the club recruited him and why he is playing.

He was recruited as a project player. He was told he was not going to play senior football for most likely 3 years depending on his development. He was on the rookie list and promoted simply due to injuries. He played basketball just like Brogan did and Port developed him. Brogan took 2 years to make the squad and he only came into the seniors due to injuries of Lade and Primus. Now people post we should have Brogan.

Give the kid a break; he has done well enough for someone who was never going to play a game this year. If he was recruited from a football team I could agree with some of the slagging but he wasn’t.

From the horse’s mouth (coach), he is very happy with David and what he has contributed this year when he was thrown into the deep end.
samuel Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:21 am

I played basketball with Fanning. We require a centre give up Football and re join the NBL.

I feel sorry for him. We have been calling for a ruckman for 5 years now.
How much longer do we need to be belt at centre bounces before MM realises we need a ruckman. Richards played 10 games in 5 years unreliable, Fraser forward not ruckman relief ruckman at best, C Cloke to short, T Walker joke.
We are kidding ourselves if we believe we have a good ruck division. Show me the Stats that proves this?
16th in tap out in 05, 15th in tap out in 04.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:10 pm

They don't grow on trees. We need a quality on baller that can replace Bucks more than we need a ruckman. We are getting slaughtered in the centre not just because of tap outs, but the quality of our clearances.

A fit Richards & Fraser will be competitive enough. Fanning in a few years.

Fanning is definitely carrying an injury in my opinion; I looked at the replay of the StKilda game where he crashed down on his shoulder. Trouble is there is no one else to play. Give him a break; he is obviously being played in pain.
Miz 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:40 pm

samuel wrote:
We have been calling for a ruckman for 5 years now.
How much longer do we need to be belt at centre bounces before MM realises we need a ruckman. Richards played 10 games in 5 years unreliable, Fraser forward not ruckman relief ruckman at best, C Cloke to short, T Walker joke.
We are kidding ourselves if we believe we have a good ruck division. Show me the Stats that proves this?
16th in tap out in 05, 15th in tap out in 04.

You realize Cam Cloke is the same height as Walker and around 5 cm shorter than Richards except he can jump right?
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:50 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
Melbourne- Paul Johnson, Jamar duds. White has rucked all 4 quarters for a few weeks straight now. They have no one else to rely on.

That's where they erred in not keeping Darren Jolly.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:42 pm

Caution: Hot Pies wrote:
When Rocca, Fraser, Richards are back it's see you later Fanning.

I don't think you have a clue about footy HP. Fanning will be around for many years as no2 ruckman, behind GR. Fraser CHF with Pebs anywhere you like.
Give the kid a chance and he will be a star.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:39 pm

When oh when will the people on here understand that players can and do have natural improvement. They start off young and through experience and coaching get better and better and maybe become good players. Fanning is doing the job because he was asked to. Whether rucking too early is of detriment to his chances of developing into a great ruckman remains to be seen. He gives it his all and looks to me to have a great attitude towards his game. MM has frequently mentioned the pace of his development is staggering. Frankly I think he knows more than I would. You can get used to Fanning being around for a quite a while yet.

ps. Saw an interview with some WCoast players recently who said they laughed at Dean Cox's skills and ability in his first couple of years. He was a gangly, unco kid who was invested in by Worsfold and his recruiters. These guys are paid experts in recruiting potential talent. It's their job to uncover guys like Cox, Brogan and Fanning. They see things that less experienced people like us don't.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:48 pm

mudlark wrote:
Caution: Hot Pies wrote:
When Rocca, Fraser, Richards are back it's see you later Fanning.

I don't think you have a clue about footy HP. Fanning will be around for many years as no2 ruckman, behind GR. Fraser CHF with Pebs anywhere you like.
Give the kid a chance and he will be a star.

I doubt he will pass Fraser. Is there room for all three in the side (Richards, Fanning, Fraser)? Richards is a ruckman who can float across halfback, Fraser a forward who rucks and Fanning - a ruckman. I don't think that we would ever go in so top heavy.
etcetc 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:54 pm
Post subject: From MM post match press conferenceReply with quote

Reporter: Mick, just on David Fanning.Is it difficult for a young guy to have to learn the game, the art of ruckwork in the big game like this.

MM: Of course it is.
Rep: So you're willing to keep going..

MM: I could ruck Jason Cloke the rest of the year; he's 189. Shane Wakelin's 192 and a key back. Guy Richards, Cameron Cloke and Josh Fraser for most of the year haven't been available to me. So its a great learning curve for the player. We've little option, and under the circumstances, delighted to give David Fanning every opportunity - to prove to other young players who may be juggling between sports that Aussie Rules will give them the opportunity and there is a place for most
of those players..... I'm assuming you are saying he was not good today, David is a young man into 1st year of senior football. He's tired, he's 21/22, played basketball up to 2 years ago,played Williamstown 2nds last year, and if he improves like he did from last year to this year, we'll have a ruckman next year; and we'll be able to do what we can with Josh and Guy Richards and maybe have the best combination in the competition.

...........about Fanning jumping too early.....

MM: How early do you have to be, to jump over a bloke who's 6 ft "35" [sic].You virtually have to take off last year to get anywhere near the ball.

I'll try to attach the press conference about Fanning [ this occurred straight after MM blasted the umps]
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Loved that 6ft 35 comment. Made me laugh.

Re: Jumping early. If the other ruckman doesn't jump at all, then any time is early. Some of Fanning's frees against were because The Freak never left the ground, so Flaps had to jump early just to get near the ball.

Hooked
etcetc 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:09 pm
Post subject: I tried to attach part of the MM press conferenceReply with quote

I thought I had attached a .wmv of the press conference. I can't seem to see it... anyone know why... or does it get sent elsewhere
bent_halo Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:22 am

i_luv_tarkyn! wrote:
He tries his heart out ... you can't ask anymore than that!

I see improvement in him every week and it can't be easy the way he has had to come in and take over as the number 1 ruckman.
He is still learning the game as Mick said.

Keep going Fanning !!

*jess

I agree with you. At least he's having a crack at it and is willing to learn. Too many people are quick to judge but considering we have little options when it comes to ruck now (due to injury and what not), I think its admirable the fact he's out there doing his best. Yes, it gets frustrating when the tap doesn't go our way, and especially if we're losing at the time, but I say good on him for still having the guts to go out there and play Smile
tazzies_girl Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:33 am

:Holland Licuria Fanning:

Guys check out my creativity

=Dutchie Licca Fanny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: