Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

neon leon lights it up

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 1:47 pm
Post subject: neon leon lights it upReply with quote

how good was the 1st goal he kicked 2day? i still dont know how he did it!

we're coming...
Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpies' new idol helping lay old racism slur to rest

By Paul Gough
MELBOURNE

COLLINGWOOD 4.1 9.9 15.15 17.17 (119) WESTERN BULLDOGS 2.4 5.5 7. 8 11.11. (77)
Goals: Collingwood: L Davis 4 A Rocca 3 N Davis 3 T Lockyer 2 J Molloy S Burns C Tarrant J Fraser R Lonie. Western Bulldogs: P Hudson 3 C Grant 2 D Giansiracusa 2 B Johnson 2 N Eagleton S Cox
Best: Collingwood: A Rocca N Buckley L Davis T Lockyer S O'Bree N Davis B Kinnear R Lonie J Molloy. Western Bulldogs: B Johnson B Harrison K Hunter.
Injuries: Collingwood: C Steinfort (general soreness) replaced in selected side by C Rintoul, J Fraser (concussion). Bulldogs: M Croft (bruised knee).
Reports: Nil.
Umpires: D Goldspink, M McKenzie, C Rowe
Official crowd: 38,793 at MCG.
Collingwood today took a major step towards its first AFL finals series since 1994 mainly thanks to its new ``cult figure'' Leon Davis.

The tiny Aboriginal forward, who has become a hero to the ``Black and White Army' since debuting last year, played the best match of his 30-game career in booting four goals in the Magpies' 17.17 (119) to 11.11 (77) victory over the disappointing Western Bulldogs.

In a match billed as a virtual elimination final between two teams striving for eighth place, it was the Magpies who maintained their place in the eight, leaving the Bulldogs with a tough fight to make the finals for a club record fifth successive year.

And it was 20-year-old Davis who sparked the Magpie onslaught in the second quarter.

Davis began the game on the interchange as usual but his amazing goal late in the second term broke the game open when he snapped truly from 20 metres after first slipping over and then breaking a tackle from giant Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy.

The dreadlocked forward then goaled again right on the half-time siren to give the Pies a 28 point lead and followed it up with two more in the third term as the Magpie fans, whose collective noise rises whenever Davis nears the ball, celebrated delirously.

No-one was more pleased for Davis than his coach Mick Malthouse, who is thrilled with the way his club's fans have embraced the young Aboriginal player.

Malthouse is hoping the Magpie fans' special affinity for Davis will lay to rest criticism the club received for that infamous day in 1993 at Victoria Park when St Kilda's Aboriginal star Nicky Winmar lifted his jumper and pointed to his skin colour following continued racial abuse.

``Leon is someone that we at Collingwood are very proud to be able to introduce to the club and he has been adopted by the crowd which is terrific,'' he said.

``If he becomes a cult figure here at the club then it might bury a few of the things from the past.''

Davis said today's game was his best since joining the Pies from Perth and admitted he loved the attention he gets from the Magpies' fanatical fans.

``I get a rush from the crowd, its great having them cheer for me, especially so many people,'' he said.

Davis capped off the fine work further up the field of skipper Nathan Buckley and Tarykn Lockyer and young defenders Ben Kinnear and Ryan Lonie while Anthony Rocca was a revelation in the ruck.

With number one ruckman Josh Fraser off the ground with concussion, Rocca not only beat Darcy in the important centre bounce hit-outs but capped off a fine day with three goals.

The loss leaves the Bulldogs a game plus percentage outside the eight with three rounds remaining and with clashes against top four sides Port Adelaide and Hawthorn to come in the next two weeks.

So it was little wonder Bulldogs' coach Terry Wallace cut an angry figure after the game.

``I will just say I thought probably in my time as coach (since mid 1996) that it was the most disappointing result I have been a part of with this side,'' he said.

AAP

we're coming...
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:24 pm

was a brilliant game Neon!
the people behind us were calling him Whitchetty (i know, i cant spll) grub!

~*~banger jr~*~
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:01 pm

Racism is a ugly thing,
its great that were starting to erase some of the ugliness of that Nicky Winmar incident at Viccy Park.

There is alot of Daicos in Leon, like when he goes near the ball, the pie fans are up as one cheering, same as when daics was close to the ball.

We love you Neon Leon You Gun!!!!!!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
d9 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:43 pm

Was a great game from Neon, can't deny that.
It's great to see, that with a little man like him on the field, the D9 throwing his weight around to prtect him. Rocca should do more of it.
Personally, i thought Benny Kinnear was our best. Purely b'cause of the fact that it must have beebn his best game for the club. T'was earmarked for the CHB posi but I don't think he quite cuts it there.
If we're to beat Essendon next week, the key must certainly be our backs. Bring Richo back, Paly Kinnear and Rocca in the ruck like today, and hope Tarrant can kick a few.

WATCH YA BACK, THE D9 IS A COMIN'

D9

d9 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:46 pm

Oh, there's a spell check on this thing.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY VERY AFRAID, THE D9 IS A COMIN'

D9

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 5:00 pm

That first NeonLeon goal was one of the best you would ever see. But the second one was also memorable because he made a point of celebrating it with the Cheer Squad. Joffa and SS11 got to see him real close up. A magical moment. He was obviously having the time of his life and it was fantastic to watch.

**floreat pica**

MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:25 am

Leon is starting to show that he has almost unrivaled skills and pace. He is improving all the time.
A.Rocca - take a bow. Great effort all day. Not a star but a workhorse performance the likes of which he has shown only fleetingly in past. It's been a good year after a terrible start for Ant.

pants42 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:31 am

Alf, concerning that great goal there is a great pic of him celebrating with the faithful on the front page of the from the outer you might spot a few people whom you know!!!

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 4:46 am

It will be one of those moments in football myself and scott will never forget after the goal neon walks towards fence straight in front of us and stands there waving the finger it was exciting and certainly got the magpie army going...its great stuff good on you neon.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 6:57 am

Noticed in the paper today Leon mentioned he doesn't particularly like the "neon" tag and would much prefer "magic"! Glad to see he's a modest young boy too!!! LOL!

Keep up the great work Magic!

GO PIES!

Marg

Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 8:02 am

hey joffa i saw leon go up and point 2 u guys after that goal on the news last night..great stuff!

we're coming...
Broadie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:36 am

Great to see Neon's game,and more importantly the news that he's signed for the next 2 years. Someone behind me had the nerve to talk about Ahmat and Neon in the same breath. I quickly pointed out the difference: Neon has talent, drive and ability...and performs against decent teams.

And also great to see Benny K put in about his best game for the club.

Broadie
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 10:21 am

Magic was awesome today. Well done mate!!

JDF
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:41 pm

Neon Leon - GOTY. (Goal of the Year) ...1st and 2nd place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: