Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MATTHEW PAVLICH WHAT A GUN

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletch 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that stings the most if you ask me is Brad Green at pick nineteen, considering the recruiters went for Danny Roach at seven and he was drafted from the Tassie Mariners.

We missed out on that one, big mistake because Green will go forward in leaps and bounds while the CochRoach is still in the starting blocks.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' Legendary Liverpool Manager, the great Bill Shankly.

Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 12:59 pm

how many times do i have to tell you? DANNY IS INJURED AND HAS BEEN FOR MOST OF THIS SEASON

~*~banger jr~*~
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:03 pm

Can't have a long term injury on our list now can we?

JDF
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:10 pm

The 1999 draft was a very talented pool of players.

Roach was taken at 7. Around him were Cupido, Beetham, Leigh Brown and Simmonds. Does anyone know where Roach is?

Shaw was taken at 18. Around him were Green, Spriggs, Murphy and Wheatley.

Davis and Johnson (apart from Fraser)appear to be bargain basements of that year's draft. Overall we wasted our top picks.

In Skob We Trust

Legga 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:27 am

Danzy, he wasn't injured in the first Richmond game this year, where he played one qtr, had 0 kicks, 0 handball, 0 marks and 1 tackle. I think what we are all saying is if you trade the No. 3 pick for No. 7, then there is a mindset that says that we need to make the absolute most of that top 10 draft choice. Injured or not, we have had NO value for our No. 7 pick, and there appears to be players taken around the same time and later who have come on and have been regular senior players for other clubs. At the moment, we have had no selection at No. 7.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 9:27 am

I wouldn't criticise the drafting of Shaw.
I am all for drafting under the father/son rule because it is great for "tradition". That is, of course, providing the player has talent. I recall at the time that Shaw was a certain first round pick and having seen him in our reserves against Carlton that year, I was glad we got him. He now has to produce to stay but that is the same with anyone. I can't say I was/am as happy with the drafting of Roach ahead of some of the others, even on the basis of public knowledge at the time. The ony"defense", if one is required, is that the powers that be were after a certain type/build.

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:21 pm

The story in SA today is that pavlich wants to leave WA and return to SA next year. Homesick? The crows want him.

Maybe he could be tempted to move over just a little bit further?

Macca19 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 5:27 pm

The story in SA today is that pavlich wants to leave WA and return to SA next year. Homesick? The crows want him.
Maybe he could be tempted to move over just a little bit further? 

Not likely, in fact Collingwood have about 2% chance.
He is an Adelaide boy (i used to play against him) and he is..well was... a big crows supporter.
His current contract runs out at the end of next season. Pavlich has refused to sign a new contract which would tie him at the club for longer.
Crows are offering Biglands, Stenglien, Perrie and 1st round draft pick for him. I doubt that would happen.

If collingwood were to try for him then i would say that Fremantle would be looking for 2 out of the following: Fraser, Lockyear, N Davis, and Tarrant.

You gotta trade quality to get quality and i wouldnt expect Collingwood to get Pavlich without losing 2 star players themselves.
In the end its better off going for someone else, maybe Ryan Fitzgerald from Sydney for example

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 6:09 pm

Macca,

I agree that it will be hard for Collingwood to get Pavilich, but it will be equally hard for him to end up in Adelaide.

Where he ends up will be ultimately decided by whom Fremantle wants to deal with. He has little say in his final destination, as he is a contracted player whom means Fremantle "hold all the cards".

The club that woos him will have to convince Fremantle that it's a win/win situation for the club. So therefore you are correct in saying that you have give away quality to get quality.

There is no way Collingwood would trade Davis, Fraser or Tarrant. They are the fabric you build a football side on and our easily the best three youngsters at Collingwood.

I am worried about Lockyer. He is uncontracted (at the end of season) and the possibility of him returning to Western Australia is high. We have to sign him up or lose risking him as an uncontracted player.

With Black being courted by Collingwood, Fremantle is a club we might have to deal with.

And the non-selection of Pavilich by Collingwood in the draft is not that bad compared to Adelaide's mistake. They had a chance to put him on the rookie list before he was drafted but didn't rate him highly enough.

In Skob We Trust

Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 10:41 am

vs Richmond Danny didnt play one qtr he played 10 mins!!!

~*~banger jr~*~
Macca19 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 1:58 pm

There is no way Collingwood would trade Davis, Fraser or Tarrant. They are the fabric you build a football side on

As is Pavlich. You must trade quality to get Quality. If you think you can trade Betheras and Ben Kinnear to Freo for a Pavlich then you are much mistaken.
Pavlich is probably the top youngster at Freo and is potentially the next Wayne Carey of the competition.
Any team that is gonna get him thru a trade is gonna pay a hefty price thats for sure

Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 2:21 pm

just thought you'd all like to know that Danny is having surgery on wed
he is very injured

~*~banger jr~*~
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:12 pm

rohan, tarkyn is signed up til the end of next season.

d9 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:31 pm

Banger Jr, you are an absolute champion.
Aren't y'all being a bit harsh on a kid of 18/19 or whatever?
Sheizen, lets go back to pre 99 when we traded and drafted some absolute hacks (not all, but certainly some).
What we need is a CHB, that is, a quality CHB. Wakelin and Presti as good as they are, don't quite hack it when on quality forwards. Richo, is good, but won't be 'round 4ever.
what about the problem we will have in future trying to keep all these guns under the cap. Tarrant, Fraser, N Davis and Buckley to name a few. Lockyer, Lonie, Neon and co. We will have to trade in the future just to keep the club under. What about we trade Buckley now for some quality CHB and free up some of the cap.

TRADE BUCKLEY NOW!!!!

D9

psychosupporter 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 6:23 pm

i dont think we should trade buckley and therefore you must be shot for making such insideous comments (not a fatal shot however...)
but i agree with the fact that it may be very difficult to keep our budding young guns under the cap... thats why my first post on this bulletin board was "can collingwood hang on to its stars" (or something like that.) I dont think im gonna write anymore except for yeah pavlich is a gun...hoofrigginray and yeah.

The year of the magpie...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: