Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Schapelle Corby

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:55 pm
Post subject: Schapelle CorbyReply with quote

I don't condone drug taking
I don't condone drug smuggling

I don't believe Schapelle was guilty and that farsicle trial and result was unbelievable.

To think that the mastermind of the Bali Bombing got 2 years jail (out after 9 months) under the Indonesian legal system and Schappelle Corby gets 20 years jail for something she didn't do but because she couldn't name who the marijuana belonged to, they deem her guilty.

I'm in total shock.

Last edited by Proud Pies on Fri May 27, 2005 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

you arent the only one in shock,there are alot of holes in that case with corby,they didnt look for fingerprints on the bag that the drugs are in,and also,they weigh the bags when they left brisbane and when they arrived in bali,and when the bags left brisbane and when they arrived in bali there were 2 differents weights,so to me its all abit suss.
Hanskies Virgo

~~DUNN~~

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 pm

I agree with everything ProudPies said!

2 years for a Bali Bomber- killing 202 innocents!
She gets 20 years on a case that has soo many floors!!
And to think if she is innocent! She'll be spending what has been my life span in jail!

Dont take life too seriously.....Its not forever
Hanskies» Created by Mum & Dad » Powered by Food And Water ltd. Est 1984.
HANSKIES© 1984-2006. All Rights Reserved.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:29 pm

Ahh cmon Greg, you seriosuly believe the testimony of the customs official?

She more likely claimed the board bag was hers.

Absolute disgraceful legal system. For that judge she had to prove she wasn't guilty, rather than the prosecution prove her guilty. It's a joke really.

If she was given a fair trial, it'd be fair enough, but the BS that has occured throughout the trial is a joke.

Fair enough it would have been better if she had a more experienced legal team. But the fact remains that there was one stuff after another from the police etc over there.

She was found guilty in the end because the judgea said she didn't satisfy the requirement that they came up with for the trial, which was to prove that someone else did it to her. Seriously, what sort of system makes you prove your innocence, and presumes you guilty? That is nearly impossible if you do not have the resources like the Police. How are they supposed to find who was supposed to have done it?

On top of that the judge said she must serve 20 years, oh then added on the end, if she doesn't pay an 100 million rupiah then she will get an extra six months.

Farrrked up, and I doubt I will EVER go to Bail/Indonesia because of this.

...and yeah, the legal system is their legal system and we can force them to change it, but it should always be: INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:15 pm

Guilty as hell. Either her or her brother.

Her mother was interviewed tonight by Ray Martin and she said "No-one is ever 100% innocent..." and followed with something like "I thought she had done her time and should have been allowed to come home."

Ahem.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:18 pm

An interesting letter in Friday's Age
Quote:
Pity Schapelle - but remember the 'Japanese Five'
May 27, 2005

With Schapelle Corby's verdict looming, the Australian public is preparing to be outraged at the injustice of the Indonesian judicial system. However, we should reflect on our own treatment of non-Australians arrested for apparent drug trafficking in our own country. I refer to the group of Japanese tourists who were arrested at Melbourne Airport in 1992. Where were all of the voices screaming for justice when this tragic case unfolded?

The group's nightmare began with a holiday that they claimed had been organised by a Malaysian businessman who had given it as a gift.

The trip, they said, was to be a way of compensation for a car accident in which one of the group members, Yoshio Katsuno, had been involved while on a business trip to Kuala Lumpur. Yoshio had spent two weeks in hospital in KL, and accepting this gift from was not an unusual matter in both cultures. The businessman suggested that Yoshio arrange a group of friends to travel with him.

According to their story, Yoshio and the rest of the group were instructed to meet the businessman in Kuala Lumpur the day before they were to travel to Australia. He met them at the airport and took them out to dinner that evening. Their luggage, which had been left in the businessman's van, had been stolen while they were having dinner. The businessman was very apologetic, and the following morning gave each of them replacement suitcases - a gesture which was interpreted as an act of kindness. Unknown to them - so they claimed - the new suitcases had false bottoms that contained, in total, 13 kilograms of heroin.

When the group touched down at Melbourne Airport the authorities were waiting for them. They had been tipped off to a large drug haul that was entering the country.

The group was taken in and interrogated with none of them comprehending the gravity of their situation because they did not speak a word of English. Their supporters claim that they were not provided with competent interpreters at the time of the police interviews. This resulted in the case being weighted very heavily against them when it came to their trial.

To assume that possession equals ownership is quite obviously not peculiar to the Indonesian judicial system."Five of the group were arrested and charged with drug trafficking and two returned home because their suitcases did not contain any drugs. Four of them served 10 years and one remains in prison, due to be released in 2006.

It has been suggested that the authorities were tipped off about the group of Japanese tourists in order to allow another bigger drug haul to enter the country. Whatever the real story is, we cannot escape the fact that these people were dealt with in a way that would make Australians scream for justice if it was one of their own.

To assume that possession equals ownership is quite obviously not peculiar to the Indonesian judicial system.

We can feel outrage for Schapelle - but we should remember the adage about people in glass houses not throwing stones.
Caitriona Prendergast, Black Rock

Tend to agree with MG on this one, especially if your 'white knight' is someone as dodgy as Ron Bakir. More to this one than has been revealed last night. At the end of the day, if she wasnt a 'pretty' looking girl, no one would give a shit. Lucky to get 20 years if you ask me.
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:50 pm

shes as guilty as they come, should have gotten life IMO, she shouldnt be treated different to anyone else thats caught, the drugs where hers she should suffer the consequences, why did she refuse to open her bags teh day she was nabbed?? and i believe she should serve her sentence out in Bali not get transfered here to a 5 star prison
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:54 pm

as guilty as they come should have gotten life IMO she should not be treated different to anyone else that is caught the drugs where hers she should suffer the consequences why did she refuse to open her bags teh day I was nabbed is as guilty as they come should have gotten life IMO she should not be treated different to anyone else that is caught the drugs where hers she should suffer the consequences why did she refuse to open her bags teh day I was nabbed ?
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:13 pm

Joel wrote:
Seriously, what sort of system makes you prove your innocence, and presumes you guilty?

If I remember legal studies correctly, it's called the 'inquisotorial' system, while we have the 'adversarial' system. I think it's still used quite widely throughout the world.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:56 am

Stitched up on the prima facie evidence alone and was never able to produce even a skeric of tangible evidence to support her defence, her big move seemingly consisting of heresay on heresay, which would be inadmissable in an Australian court.

'Yeah, that's my bag, yep, my stuff inside, oh, no the drugs must have been put there by someone else! phhhhhhhhhht. By the way, 4.6KG of grass is about the size of a bed pillow and fairly heavy, yet she didn't notice it at all upon collecting her bag.

Highly unlikely that she was innocent and the Indonesian court should be commended for not allowing the massive influence and opinon being foisted on it from another sovereign state albeit a xenophobic neighbour to influence its decision. Made the only decision they could and then, given the percedences of their law, she got off lightly.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:07 pm

Not to single Joel out, but I've found that the most vocal on the "free Schapelle" bandwagon seems to be young males. Is this a coincidence, or do they see something we don't?

Personally, I think she did it. I'm not saying I believe she's a big drug running criminal, but I do believe she knowingly transported drugs into another country. I don't think they were for her personal use. I think perhaps her Bali-dwelling sister and brother in law perhaps need tighter scrutiny.

Sorry but I need more than a weepy, attractive, decent racked, pretty eyed Aussie girl who cries alot and says she didn't do it to change my mind.

* The drugs were found in her bag.
* By all accounts that are on record from witnesses, she admitted it was hers.
* The bag of dope just fit a little too perfectly into her bag.
* How could you not notice your bag was now almost 4 times heavier than when you last carried it?
* How could you not notice it was now so much more out of shape?

I could go on, but I'm tired. And I'm tired of pointing out the bleeding obvious.

I find it extremely arrogant for people in Australia to state "But in Australia...", "That wouldn't happen here..." and "That trial was so unfair..."

WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE???

Yes, we have a very cushy system in Australia. Break a law, get slapped on the wrist. Great. Nice. There's the deterrant! Not....! Rolling Eyes

But the fact of that matter remains. Schapelle was charged for a crime in another country. Not here. How dare we presume another country should follow our exact laws and punishment?

All this anti-Bali crap is making me sick. It smacks of Arrogance, Ignorance and Racism.

If someone can sway me, I'm happy to hear it.

Otherwise, wake up to yourselves, take responsibility for yourselves and your own opinions, and look outside that pretty-eyed square.
TRELOS 

TRELOS

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:12 am

mandy i agree with you 100%!!! i culdnt believe wne i heard ppl wanted to stop making donations to charities for the victims of the tsunami and then her brother using the tsunami to make a point, the family has problems! shes guilty! ppl cant accept it, shes in jail for a crime she commited in another country, its the the citizens of that countries fault, dont try n ruin their lives! to be honest and i know im going to get grilled over the coals for this but personally i believe she should have been given a life sentence
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:07 am

Btw, I don't know/care if she did it. I just think it is a bit messed up when the judge can more or less set the criteria for conviction. She had to tell the judges who it was an how they did it. But, how would she do that if she wasn't guilty? You wouldn't be able to.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:09 am

What happened to them?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:56 pm

Heres Bolt's opinion page in the HS today: "Corby and the mob"
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15470184%255E25717,00.html
some good points as usual from Andrew, but one thing he failed to mention: how the hell can you face the death penalty (or life for that matter) for possessing marijuana..... it seems the Indonesian judicial system just thinks all drugs are the same and that marijuana is as bad as heroin. Also the guilty until proven innocent thing isn't much good either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: