Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is a Degree in Linguistics a Nick's Membership Requirement?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Guys this is way to
d
e
e
e
e
e
e
e
p!

it's 'too', not 'to'. sheesh.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:42 pm

So, Cam for his "apostrophe" thread and Dale for correcting people who don't take the care to spell a Collingwood player's name correctly (Rheece instead of Rhyce, for example), are now "Linguistic Nazis"? Well, count me in among their number, even if I haven't posted any criticism as such.

The language we use is English. It's our native language and, like any native language, it should become a very natural act to write and speak it (that point isn't applicable to anyone to whom English is a second language, as I understand that it's difficult to learn because of all the contradictions in it!).

I write a fair bit on here but, despite being self-employed and struggling to find the time to do it, prefer to take my time and use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation when I do. I don't spend hours checking over my work to find errors, but I do take as much care as possible within those time constraints. I do so because I want people to understand what I am writing. It's not the job of a reader to fathom what I am trying to say but for me, the writer, to make my point as clear as possible.

I'd be mortified if anyone thought that my efforts caused anyone to be ashamed to post on here. I'd rather that people thought my writing would encourage them to respond in kind. I leave the short, sharp, witty one-liners to those with a penchant for them, but I think what is really happening is that the emergence of sms-speak is causing people to use that form of written shorthand everywhere. Personally, I hate it. I don't even own a mobile phone, so I never use it (OK, I'm a dinosaur, but I have a phone in my office and a phone at home; if I'm in neither place, then I don't want to be interrupted and anyone who wants to speak to me can leave a voicemail message which I'll return when I'm ready to, as I believe in owning a phone, not allowing a phone to own me!).

I absolutely adore a witty piece of prose. I'm not good at writing witty pieces, but can still admire those who do. I also prefer to read books which are well written (very often, 600 pages or more). To my way of thinking, I can only properly appreciate them if I first make the effort to understand my native language properly. If there's anybody reading this thread who hasn't yet learned to appreciate the written English word, I'd encourage them, with all my heart, to try. Not understanding it truly does limit your horizons.

It's nothing to do with being a linguistic nazi but rather the heartfelt opinon of one who cares so much about his language that he wants to use it properly.

punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:57 pm

KYPREO wrote:
Greg J wrote:
Yeah, it pisses me of no end when people correct me for saying "says" instead of "sez". Bloody tossers.

And your post also explains Sam Newman's innane insistence on people saying AITCH instead of HAITCH. Which also pisses me off.

I believe communication has to be effective. That's all. Everyone knows what I mean when I say "says". And if enough people join me, "sez" will drop out of our language completely. That's how linguistics works isn't it?

The view contemporary linguistics takes is that there is no actual true pronunciation or variation of any word or grammatical structure. There are innumerous forms floating around and one form eventually gains authority as being the 'correct' one through socioeconomic forces. Thats the simple version.

The AITCH vs HAITCH distinction is no doubt something Sam was taught at Geelong Grammar. HAITCH was typically a working class phenomenon and probably derives from the favoured pronunication of Irish immigrants. AITCH is the more white anglo-saxon protestant variation, which through historical reasons, namely WASPS making up the majority of those privileged members of society in Sam's generation, was seen to be the 'correct' pronunciation, especially in affluent Protestant private schools in Sam's time. It has now lost its class distinction (because its not correct to speak of a Irish Catholic working class anymore) and both variations seem to be fairly common.

When I was in primary school (it was a catholic school) we were told we could leave when we could say the alphabet out loud. Anyone who said haitch was told they failed and had to try again, but were not told why they failed (I was one of them and I was not impressed!).

About 30 mins later the teacher explained why they failed and let them go. I have always remembered that and I always now say aitch.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:59 pm

Just because you believe it doesn't make it true.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:13 pm

This is the most funnest thread ive red in yonks! I tork proper coz I was brunged up good!

Is this all because of Cam's "apostrophe" thread? For myself, while I like to see reasonable grammar, particularly on a board full of Collingwood supporters who are so often portrayed as 'ferals', I only ever point out the grammatical deficiencies of others if they've had the temerity to pick on mine. Other than that, effectiveness rather than perfection, should be our goal. I don't have a degree like Kypreo, more of a 'Henry Higgins' level interest, but I'm quite sure a balance can be found between perfection & Illegibility.

BTW Kypreo, shouldn't it be: "Linguistics is concerned with descriptive analysis of languages at 'their' many levels." ? Smile
(Or to be really picky, it should be "THE descriptive analysis of LANGUAGE at its many levels)"

(Who you 'own'?) :p

($hit, I better run this throo a spelk cheker!)

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
ray12 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:13 pm

I've enjoyed reading through this topic. It reminds me of why I was so thrilled at finding this site three years ago when the net finally reached me. Lately it hasn't been such pleasurable experience.

I work in a remote community and have travelled through many countries and what I have valued most is the knowledge that people of different backgrounds have a treasure trove of insight to share. If only I take the time and make the effort to connect with them.
Some of my greatest teachers have been people who struggle with the English language but may speak multiple languages in their own world.

We all need to widen our view of life and embrace those who think differently from ourselves and not be tricked into thinking there is only one way and view of doing things.

There is great freedom in doing things differently.
35forever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:15 pm

Ha! I incorrectly capitalised 'illegibility'!

Lousy poetic justice! Sad

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:01 pm

35forever wrote:
BTW Kypreo, shouldn't it be: "Linguistics is concerned with descriptive analysis of languages at 'their' many levels." ? Smile
(Or to be really picky, it should be "THE descriptive analysis of LANGUAGE at its many levels)"

nah, it's a typo. I meant "linguistics is concerned with descriptive analysis of LANGUAGE [no 's'] at ITS many levels." The 'the' is optional. Razz (In Standard English) That being said, I am not one to force a presciptivist view of English Grammar on others and hopefully, therefore, have not invited others to criticise my English in kind. Very Happy Although, telling everyone I have a degree in linguistics (well an Bachelor of Arts, majoring in linguistics) probably has the same effect. Laughing

Lloyd Christmas 

I've got worms...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:11 pm

fanks four poeenting dis owt. Youesful topick.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:30 pm

this goes to show that collingwood fans are not illiterate. Anyone who disagrees should view this forum.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 pm

Ehem, okay then. I will stick up for Cam here, and any others.

Cam didn't have a go at anyone, he posted a lesson for people to learn from. It is up to the users of Nick's whether they want to pay attention to it or not, but for their own benefit it may pay to read it. However, if they don't wish to pay attention, then so be it.

No one is being a Nazi, and people should not be afraid to post on here because they can't spell write or something correctly. If people make mistakes, then so be it, but I don't think there is a thing wrong with someone pointing out the correct way to use the English language.

Like others, it is the sms speak that pisses me off more than anything, I don't really care about spelling.
35forever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:32 pm

Quote:
Although, telling everyone I have a degree in linguistics (well an Bachelor of Arts, majoring in linguistics) probably has the same effect.

Yeah, it really was painting a target on your head! Very Happy That's the reason I never, ever mention my 150 IQ

D'OH!!!!

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:36 pm

I have said what I do for a living elsewhere but I won't say again in this thread. Laughing
35forever 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:37 pm

I wasn't getting sucked into pointing out your "AN Bachelor of Arts" either, I think you did that on purpose!

:p

At least no Collingwood players were harmed in the making of this thread!!!

-me, 2010
Visit My Website!
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:43 pm

typo Razz Laughing (I wrote 'Arts' first then went back and added 'Bachelor of' without removing the 'n')
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: