Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MM - please enlarge this and put it on the players locker!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:38 pm
Post subject: MM - please enlarge this and put it on the players locker!!Reply with quote

Shamelessly lifted from Extreme BB!

Last Update: Tuesday, April 12, 2005. 1:00pm AEST

Lethal in 'mentally disadvantaged' jibe at Pies

Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews has used a Salvation Army charity launch to fire another broadside at arch-rivals Collingwood, jokingly alleging that the Magpies are "mentally disadvantaged".

Matthews made his comments as he helped launch the Salvos' Red Shield Appeal in Brisbane on Tuesday.

While praising the charity's work with the mentally ill, Matthews said footballers took the opposite stance on the field.

"If someone's weak, we're going to take advantage of that weakness as best we can," he said.

"If they're mentally disadvantaged, we're going to take advantage of that as we can ... but we don't play Collingwood every week," he continued to laughter, "so we can't really do that."

Matthews coached Collingwood between 1986 and 1995, leading them to an AFL premiership in 1990.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200504/s1343504.htm

And make sure it stays there until July 9th Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Clokey 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy from Full Frontal looked just like Mathhews.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:39 pm

Desperate Man looking for cheap laughs, he ought to be worrying about his cheaters mind set rather than focusing on other teams....after that pitiful last quarter by Brisbane...

Cheers

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm

Stupid comment from Matthews when is his side is in a spot of bother. Look at your own side for once - who was the team which almost out-muscled you on the last day in September in 2002???
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:58 pm

Hmmm...tasty ammunition.
west pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:06 pm

Not worth giving him the satisfaction of a reply!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:09 pm

Too right! Just makes me happy seeing 'Lethal' getting desparate. I'd rather be a Magpie than a Lion just at the moment! They look very vulnerable. Too early to go underestimating yet, but the signs are nice!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:13 pm

They have WCE at the Gabba this week, which is normally a happy hunting ground for the Coasters. Could it be three in a row (losses)? Very Happy
Piepark 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Pretty low act demeaning people who actually may have a genuine mental problem. For a man who makes his money in the artificial, over inflated ego driven world of football he should get a real job and see what it's like to earn a quid. There a plenty of less fortunate people in the world than Matthews. What goes around comes around. Just wait and see.
Grug Leo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:56 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
They have WCE at the Gabba this week, which is normally a happy hunting ground for the Coasters. Could it be three in a row (losses)? Very Happy

We've actually got the Hawks at the G this week.

The Eagles come to the Gabbatoir in round 5. I will admit that it is going to be tough. The Eagles have been dubbed the "Lion Tamers" by the Brisbane press, and rightly so, they punished us last year.
nitric 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:07 am

You think that was a low act?

Short memories here, fellas. You are talking about a set of values lower than a snake's belly.

You might remember the Neville Bruns incident?

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/09/15/1031608345061.html

How about one of the greatest footballers of all time, Barrie Robran? Who finished his career?

http://www.smartcursor.net.au/roosters/history_robran.html

I'm happy to have the 1990 flag, but don't you Victorians tell me this was or is your greatest footballer. The fact he never won a Brownlow speaks absolute volumes. He was and remains beyond the pale.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:02 am

Grug wrote:
Johnson#26 wrote:

We've actually got the Hawks at the G this week.

The Eagles come to the Gabbatoir in round 5. I will admit that it is going to be tough. The Eagles have been dubbed the "Lion Tamers" by the Brisbane press, and rightly so, they punished us last year.

Fair enough Grug. Just getting a bit ahead of myself. Wink
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:06 am

It's possible.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:12 am

I dunno what other people think but this Leigh Matthews bashing just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

This is the man who ended 32 years of heartbreak for our club.

The irony is that he has since become our biggest tormentor by orchestrating our defeat in 2 grand finals. In terms of rivalry/hatred I have the Lions right up there now with Carlton but I will always have the utmost respect and admiration for Leigh Matthews for what he did for Collingwood Football Club. Incidentally I also consider him to be the greatest player to ever have graced the field.

This was a joke only, clearly designed to p*ss off Eddie, nothing more, nothing less, unfortunately he has used the club as a vehicle for it.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:24 am

Matthews fires another salvo at Pies
By Melissa Ryan
April 13, 2005
http://www.smh.com.au/news/AFL/Matthews-fires-another-salvo-at-Pies/2005/04/12/1113251626847.html

Quote:
Even when he is doing a good deed, Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews cannot resist the temptation of having a crack at Collingwood.

The latest shot fired in a long-running war between the Lions and the Magpies - and Matthews and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire - came yesterday, as Matthews helped launch the Salvation Army's Red Shield Appeal in Brisbane.

Matthews praised the work the charity does with people who have mental illnesses, but said the football field was a much more ruthless place. He said his players would exploit any weakness they could find, before bringing out the punchline that drew laughter from the audience and questioned the Magpies' mental strength.

"If someone's weak, we're going to take advantage of that weakness as best we can," Matthews said on ABC radio. "If they're mentally disadvantaged, we're going to take advantage of that as we can ... but we don't play Collingwood every week so we can't really do that."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: