Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie's New Website

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:01 pm
Post subject: Eddie's New WebsiteReply with quote

Well I read with some interest that Eddie is proposing a new Collingwood website with improvements to the existing structure. Obviously Collingwood are considering Telstra, and obviously they would be competitive, with at least their extensive infrastructure. On price, I am not so sure?

What is needed in this welcoming climate of consultation at Collingwood is a website that deals with the tough issues, and not just another insulting club magazine which never deals fully with the reasons for failure. I still believe we as members have not had a adequate explanation to why we have lost two day grand finals and a night final amongst that. Ok that is behind us now, but I for one expect a line drawn in the sand with this current football department. With a exit strategy firmly in mind if we don't substantially improve in 2005. And I expect our new website to fully sponsor discussion on these and other difficult issues, rather than just become a marketing spin instrument designed to feed us news that everything is just magnificent all the time.

Now to challenge Eddie on the term 'whinge'. Do not let constructive questions be confused with that ignorant aussie term 'whinge'. As a word, 'whinge' in my corporate experience, has no place and should never be used to put any Collingwood supporter down who dares to challenge the status quo. I welcome challenge and critisism and don't fear it. If it is misguided on fact, then I respoectfully disagree with it. If it is on target, then more often than not, I will learn from it and change accordingly. To say or infer Collingwood supporters 'whinge' on occasions, is to question their democratic right as investors in our club to have a say. And to me, this is wrong.

I, like many on this website, have supported Collingwood all my life. I have seen our club move more and more to a corporate club. By that I mean we run it like a professional business. And that is fine. However, Eddie should not be angered by supporters who increasingly see Collingwood as an entertainment investment, where there must be a measure on value for money. And losses are not good entertainment value. If I am to be condemned for this business approach to my club, then please tell me why players and coaches demand such huge money for their loyalty. I know Ed and other board members give their time and money, in some cases, for nothing. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the players book.

It is about time someone in the football community started demanding a lot more from our players and coaches. Let us not get whipped up into a frenzy of blind loyalty when they get paid win, lose, or draw. And paid rather well might I add. Our loyalty should always allow us to question without condemnation for doing it.

I expect our new website to fully allow us to question the football department. To praise, comment, or question if appropriate. Please Ed,
don't turn it into another 'Life's Great' magazine.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hiss,

here's the sticky where Eddie has requested input from everyone here on the new website. There's quite a few pages, perhaps this should have been put there?

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=21852

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:56 pm

Why we lost 2002 GF
- Our forwards did not convert when key opportunities arose to score goals.
- No ones fault but the forwards, one in particular.
- Our best sweeping backman was suspended due to an unfortunate concussion resulting from a collision with his fist and the ground.

Malthouse had coached brilliantly, leading us to upset wins over Port and the Crows before we just fell short. Buckley (possibly erroneously) received the Norm Smith, that's how close it was.

Why we lost 2003 GF
- Our MVP had a brain attack in the prelim and delivered a stupid, ineffectual elbow that caused nothing but a 2 week suspension.
- Apart from some notables we weren't hard enough at the ball. Young team abused by old toughnuts.

Malthouse coached brilliantly with upset wins over the Bears and Port, but fell short against fairly driven opposition. Famous for the Cloke move and subsequent post match, and what perhaps should have been Shaw's last game.

2003 Wiz - i think this one was the one that really hurt us, and set us up for the ultimate failure at the end of the year. One wonders what might have been.

Can't remember why we lost even though i was there.

No club website is going to bare their soul to supporters or members. Hell most coaches buy memberships to a few clubs - imagine the goldmine that would produce if it happened. Will never happen - and neither should it.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:12 am

Hiss, I've addressed the issue of football as a business in another thread, but now you're contracticting yourself. You advocate running the "business" more efficiently, yet now you propose most unbusinesslike behaviour. What business doesn't keep its cards close to it's chest in order to keep a step ahead of the competition? Why would the football department give up their secrets, behave honestly & openly, and not indulge in hype & spin? The model you proposed earlier demands such tactics, however unpalatable they are to any discerning, perceptive observer.

So which is it to be? Good business practice?, or openness & honesty?

You can't have both.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:32 pm

There are so many random factors that determine the success of football clubs that it is absurd to depict the 2002/2003 grand final losses as 'failures'. It is even more irrational to mention the non-event Wizard Cup grand final in the same breath, let alone seek 'explanations' for being the second best team two years running.

Collingwood has had such a long history of poor and unprofessional management that it may take Eddie and Mick a few years yet to completely alter our culture. I would suggest your rash pronouncements are a case in point.

Neither Eddie nor Mick are perfect, but they're clearly heading in the right direction. They are laying cultural and managerial foundations that will reap dividends over time. Perhaps not this year, nor next, but in due course. Great leaders are always willing to wear the flack of the mob as they lay the foundations necessary to achieve great things.

Those without the vision to see beyond the next five minutes should probably head down to Punt Road, where they quickly hack down anyone who dares challenge the culture they have become addicted to over the past two decades.

I for one will be supporting Eddie and Mick's program through to its maturation.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:39 pm

Cam, add the following:

2002: The selection of a clearly unfit Molloy.

2002 and d/n 2003: The unfathomable decision not to recruit a ruckman.

As usual we had some misfortune and we lacked a bit of real class. However, as usual we shot ourselves in the foot as well.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Agree Mark T Molloy should never have got a game McGough was totally shafted.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:03 pm

MarkT: True, true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: