Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lets look at the Centreline

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gomaz wrote:
Agree 35f, like Pavlich is for Freo, Tarrant could be for us. Could actually be a masterstroke of genius. If it worked it could change the dynamic of the whole structure, which needs a shake up because it's too predictable.

Recently there have been calls for Pavlich to become a perminant CHF. They say that is where he belongs.

35forever, we had a thread on this a while back, and plenty agred with the idea of him playing as a wingman/centreman. However, I think it would robb the side of much needed potency up forward. Yes, he is built like Judd, has good pace etal, but will he really be as good as Judd? If ever there was a time to trial him in the centre it would have been in the Wizard Cup/Practice Matches. That oppotunity has passed.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:18 am

Now why would Mick show his hand in the Wizzo??? it's not like he's testing nuclear devices here, the physicists wont be needed to work out whether Taz can move up the ground. You dont even need to start him there, just tell him to push past centre more often. He does it anyway, and usually wears a bloke out in the process. If you give him a nice big bloke to kick to, who can take a mark or two (yes, I man Tex), as well as a couple of smart players who can kick a mile, like Lones & Daks, to run off him, he'll be very happy to hand goals to others.

The crux will be whether we can cover his marking ability inside 50. If Tex, Josh & Pebbles (with perhaps Cam), can take the grabs and kick straight, we would be looking very nice indeed.

If Johnno & Bucks can deliver as well on the other side and down the middle, who or what could stop it? When youve got the talented backline we've got, you simply need to kick fifteen goals each week. To do that you need to have about twenty five shots at goal. The only thing that could ruin the party would be 1.5 first quarters. We are too much of a confidence side to get away with that. Which is why I'd use the "licensed shooters" idea: because for us its almost better to turn it over than miss a set shot, especially in the first quarter & a half.

Of course if the oppo look like they'll score freely, revert to shooting at will.

Just a thought.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:00 am

35forever wrote:
Now why would Mick show his hand in the Wizzo???

Why wouldn't he? Its not a must win competition (although any victory is pleasing Smile ). They are commonly used as trial matches - so if MM had any aspirations of using Taz in the midfield this season, the Wizzer would have been the perfect start.

Although I'd still prefer for him to stay in the midfield.
COLEingwood 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:44 pm

Woewodin Bucks Rowe

with lica and holland or burns also in center square

themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:43 pm

I agree that our midfield is our weakness, Davis, Didak, Lonie, Rowe or some other youngster needs to take the next step, if not we need to push hard for a 'Dal Santo' type next year.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:18 pm

wouldnt call the midfield our weakness just yet. How many other teams have two brownlow medallists running around in their weakest area? 2 years ago it was our biggest strength and it hasnt changed. It may even be stronger with young players pushing through. Just a matter of having a full team on the paddock.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:19 pm

i shold also add that another midfielder happens to be a dual copeland trophy winner.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:06 am

Very well put Dave! Two Brownlows & a bunch of Copelands in that midfield. Not a bad line at all. You know, the more I watch replays of last years games, the less convinced I am that we were all that bad. Lack of confidence was really the difference between winning & losing in at least 5 or 6 games. And of course the lack of senior players due to injuries only underlined it, as it forced youngsters, who are more prone to ups & downs in confidence, into the side. Had we won the '03 GF, the injuries probably wouldnt have made nearly as big a difference, but that loss, compounded by the god awful 100 pt Wizzo flogging & the bloody unlucky Anzac loss were factors in losing games we had under control.

I really dont see the preparation this year being nearly as bad, and now that those kids have got a few under the belt, and as long as the senior players remain mostly fit, I cant see whats to stop us from recapturing the form of late '03. The hurdles will be the loss of Josh & Daks, two important & underrated players, and Anzac day. If nothing else, we MUST win that one. Have a look at our form over the last few years in the month or so after Anzac day. It tells quite a tale!

A midfield to be reckoned with I believe, particularly if Mick has all his options open.

And Johnno, you misunderstand me. I agree with you that the Wizzo isnt a must win, thats why I would save such a move for when it counts for premiership points.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:04 am

Quote:
And Johnno, you misunderstand me. I agree with you that the Wizzo isnt a must win, thats why I would save such a move for when it counts for premiership points.

But why not do it in the Wizzer to see how he would actually go? Better to get an idea when it doesn't count, rather then in the heat of a real battle.

Quote:
Two Brownlows & a bunch of Copelands in that midfield. Not a bad line at all.

Very good midfield set up. One that, at best, challenges West Coast and Brisbane's Fab 5's.

The 'Fab 5's':

WCE:

-Judd
-Cousins
-Braun
-Kerr
-Fletcher

Brisbane:

-Voss
-Akermanis
-Black
-Lappin
-Power

Collingwood:

-Buckley
-Burns
-Licuira
-Woewodin
-Lockyer

Okey, not as 'star-studded' but a group of underrated guns none the less.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:46 am

J26, Taz had the groin problem for a few weeks, another reason he wouldn't have been tried during the pre-season.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:47 pm

Understand Joel, but if he was ever going to play there this season, against the Tigers was a great chance to start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: