Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Dud Sides!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 4:59 pm
Post subject: Collingwood Dud Sides!Reply with quote

at afisher's suggestions, here is my c'wood dud team of the decade, with some modifications to one I posted earlier. it will strike fear into the hearts of the opposition!!! haha of course, I only picked from those I am familiar with. I'm sure there are plenty more out there. what do others think??

B: Jon Hassall, Paul Sharkey, Kent Butcher
HB: Jason Wild, Andrew Tarpey, Alex McDonald (co-captain)
C: Paul Williams, Ricky Olarenshaw (co-captain), Ben Wilson
HF: Jason Taylor, Dermott Brereton, Brad Hardie
F: Chad Liddell, Saverio Rocca, Shane Watson (co-captain)
R: Robert Schaefer, Stephen Patterson, Barry Mitchell
INTER: Troy Lehmann, Andrew Tranquilli, Chris Curran, Aaron James
EMERG: Brad Rowe, Robert Powell, Steven Pitt, Josh Mahoney

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 9:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm loath to knock guys who have played for the pies, cos I'm sure that they all had a go as best they could (or I hope they did!).

I'll endeavour to name a few of the blokes we had who were, to be kind, not the greatest recruiting manoeuvres of all time.

I think Ed Healey mentioned an oldies forum, so perhaps he and the others amongst us who remember black and white TV, cricket broadcast from one end and when the footy was on three channels every saturday night can add to this list, with commments. (I'm just doing this as I'm watching the cricket after getting home)

Allan Davis (ex St Kilda, Melb Ess etc) way past it when we got him in 1980

Laurie Sandilands (Footscray) I think we picked him up in 80 or 78. We picked him up instead of Bernie Quinlan I think...go figure!

Murray Wrenstead (ex WCE?) well, a least he got to ride in trams and stuff

Barry Day from WA somewhere, 79/80 ish. He was a dud in the WAFL. Went to Ess and went even worse.

Bill Valli. refer Barry Day

Mark(?) Bayliss (do I have a thing against West Aussies...this guy was a textbook example of useless)

Graham Teasdale..no knees, yet we paid a mint for him. Obviously that hideous jacket he wore at the 77 Brownlow required a lot of costly TLC. It made you wish colour TV wasnt invented!

Wee Georgie Bissett...who remembers him????

Ricky O...maintaining the tradition of recruiting blokes who wer out the report sheets in the medical room.(But he was gorgeous spidey!)

Stephen Roach from Richmond is lates 70's /early 80's. I couldnt think at the time why we bothered getting this bloke, unless he was a wiz on the barbie at the Thursday night sausage sizzle.

Brad Hardie...nuff said

Here's a good one....
remember the draft pick we burnt on Gerard Healy!

curses, poms got a wicket

I think Junkboy is a little harsh on Paul Williams, Sav and perhaps one or two others. I will say this re Brereton. When at the pies, he put his body on the line, and never shirked it. Sav kicked 90 odd that season, and anyone who saw a few games will have no difficulty understanding why.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 3:25 am

yeah maybe a bit harsh on some, but I did compile the list in a light hearted fashion williams was great for c'wood, but I included him because of his less than civil manner when he left the club, such that even bucks refuses to discuss the issue when prompted. maybe replace sav with the multi-talented jason bevan and shift andrew tarpey to full forward (although it must be pointed out that tarpey went on and had a magnificent career at sandringham!!)

Eminem 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 5:03 am

I disagree with Kent Butcher being in the team, I thought he was a gun and he was my favourite player.

One step closer.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 5:23 am

Moderator's hat is off.

I have a problem with naming players as duds. All players that have played senior AFL football have climbed the pile and reached the top - they are the best. They can't all be the the best of the best, but they've reached a level that 99.9% of footy playing kids will only ever dream about. Once there, some make it, some don't. Whether it be injury, poor handling by football staff, circumstance or an inability to take the next step, failure at senior level does not make a dud.

Most of them gave their all and failed, for whatever reason. Some were kept long after it became apparent that they were not going to make it - not their fault. In defense of the coaches I have to say that they know the players in a way that we never can and may see something that makes persistance worthwhile, even if the player eventually fails.

I'll give you some current names that would have made it onto the dud lists if the players had been dropped when supporters were baying for blood - all from the current team.

Anthony Rocca
Mark Richardson
Simon Prestigiacomo
Steve McKee
Paul Licuria
Ben Kinnear
and others

Some of you will still consider some of these players to be duds, but together they make up a significant part of the new Magpie machine and they are only there because Mick Malthouse saw something in them that most of us couldn't.

The one thing that all the players in the lists above have in common is that they have pulled on the black and white. They don't deserve to be denigrated in this fashion.

I think this topic reeks of an arrogance that we haven't yet earned - lets not get too big for our boots just yet, we still have a way to go.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 5:34 am

Like I’ve said, I don’t hold any malice towards these players, just my personal opinions. Here are some notes for the plaque to go under the framed picture.

Jon Hassall: played every game in his first season then completely lost form. Traded.
Paul Sharkey: Had height and potential, but was too slow and too immobile.
Kent Butcher: Best feature: mop hairstyle. Was traded to Sydney.
Jason Wild: Plenty of courage and determination, but woeful disposal. Shaw’s favourite. Andrew Tarpey: Statues moved faster than him. Went on to star for Sandringham.
Alex McDonald: No. 1 draft pick for Hawthorn that didn’t fulfil potential. Yeah, was OK sometimes but woeful the other times. You either love him or hate him, according to Magpie fans around me at the time. Also the opinion of Hawthorn fans.
Paul Williams: maybe a bit harsh for a life member, but Bucks may not agree.
Ricky Olarenshaw: Bomber fans laughed at me when we got him. Runs into air, and gets injured. Kangaroos deserve him.
Ben Wilson: Had potential, but lost the plot and went to Sydney.
Jason Taylor: Squizz looked like a good thing but succumbed to injuries and form loss.
Dermott Brereton: Molloy type position. Would have been good for Tarrant, not Sav.
Brad Hardie: oh my god
Chad Liddell: Quite hard at the ball, but others were better. Again, starring for Sandringham.
Saverio Rocca: replaced with bevan. See previous post.
Shane Watson: Big potential, with ears to match. Went in cycles: started at FF, then dominated as a running HB and gained Vic selection, then went crap, then went OK as a forward pocket, then went crap. Now with Preston Bullants, and still crap; he was recently dropped.
Robert Schaefer: Statues moved faster than Tarpey, and Tarper moved faster than Schaefer.
Stephen Patterson: Started as pinch hitting forward, then replacement for scooter in midfield. Tried to tag, and succeeded in keeping the air around him possession-less. Has the blinkers on all the time when goal is sighted.
Barry Mitchell: Million dollar waste. Should have been Barry Crocker, not Mitchell.
Troy Lehmann: Again potential, but had to be sacrificed for Buckley.
Andrew Tranquilli: I thought he was going to be good. Played a bit with Box Hill in VFL.
Chris Curran: maybe a bit harsh. replace with brad fuller.
Aaron James: The “Piddler” could not keep his bladder in check at Saloon Bar, and was duly fired. Now a Bitchmond hack.
Brad Rowe: Did OK for a while as pinch hitting forward, then was cut.
Robert Powell: who?
Steven Pitt: couldn’t cut it with the AFL and went back to SANFL, then melb. nuff said.
Josh Mahoney: couldn’t cut it and went to the Bulldogs.

Guests:
Trent Hotton: couldn’t handle his drink and was fired. Now plays appropriately for Carlton.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:12 am

hey mike, I’m sorry you feel that I was being arrogant in starting this post, as that was certainly not my intention. I thought it would raise a few laughs but obviously many others do not feel this way. I never envisaged that it would become this serious. I totally agree that players who make the AFL are a cut above the rest in terms of fulfilling their dreams, particularly if they play for the mighty black and whites. However, unless you are the most one eyed and ardent supporter, I don’t know if there will be times when people do not sometimes question, even deride, the performance of past players.

Anyway, I digress. I apologise to this who I may have offended, that was not my intention, but it has obviously touched some nerves. I am still relatively new in this forum and I’m not familiar with what is or isn’t accepted. Obviously, such polarising opinions, even if the intention was of humour, may become too personal for some. However, if you met me, you will see that I am anything but arrogant

junkboy signing off.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:26 am

Don't misunderstand me Junkboy, my post was just my opinion - that's why I said that my moderator's hat is off.

You haven't gone beyond the bounds of acceptability, a forum has to be open to diverse views or it doesn't work. The only things that are unacceptable here are defamatory remarks, abuse and gross profanity...oh...and carlton supporters.

One of the reasons that I don't post a lot is that people tend to confuse my roles and my posts are given more weight than they deserve - they are usually just opinions.

As for arrogance, I wasn't accusing you of being arrogant, I was saying that the topic is reflecting an arrogance that we are all starting to feel - I just think it's a little early yet.

I enjoy your posts, please don't spoil them by trying to stick to any perceived policies.

Millane42 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:40 am

Yeah mike, not duds but just didn't make it at senior level - here are some blasts or should i say gasps from the past:

nick hider
frankie raso
brad plain
damian houlihan
damien ryan
terry hecker
terence keays
ernie hug
athas hrysoulakis
john mrkov
john barnett
shannon gibson
and there are plenty others but i can't remember their names, only their faces!
All these tried hard and proud to wear the black and white. good on them, and i think that shane watson wasn't a legend, but at least he tried hard.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 6:41 am

i can't believe someone else remembers jason bevan's only kick in league footy! i think he got a free kick in the middle of the MCG vs. north (one of the best games i've ever seen, we'd lost about 10 in a row and beat the eventual premiers by 10 goals, buckley played on carey). anyway, bevan's kick was the WORST kick i've ever seen; instead of kicking the ball forward (as he intended), it ended up travelling at a 90 degree angle from his foot. no idea how he managed it.
but that was a wicked game - there was a crowd of about 29,000 of the most DIEHARD pies supporters - we were going THAT badly, only the most loyal turned up - and i remember the southern stand going bananas when the siren went. it was a sea of joy.

ash 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 9:10 am

Was that the one where the collingwood players went right to the fence to thank the cheersquad for turning up, or am I thinking of something completely different.

And what ever did happen to Shannon Gibson. Played a blinder in a ansett cup game against WCE?

GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 10:49 am

WHAT ABOUT BRETT YORGEY OR BRENDAN TRANTER,KYM RUSSELL ADRIAN MCADAM(WELL HE NEVER ACTUALLY PLAYED FOR THE CLUB HE TRAINED ABOUT 2 TIMES AND THE BIGGEST DUD OF ALL BRAD SMITH WHO WE WASTED 3 YEARS ON AND GOT ONLY 1 GAME OUT OF HIM

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:14 pm

I'm not shaw if it's appropriate to bring this up, but no one has made any suggestion as to who should be the Coach of this dud team. I'm shaw no one has even raised the question. But then, I can't be shaw of that. I might have missed it, and that shaw would have been careless of me, I'm shaw.

**floreat pica**

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 4:02 pm

Very subtle Alf
Let me guess your referring to Jock McHale lol lol ha ha ha

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 5:42 pm

To be shaw, to be shaw, to be shaw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: