Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WAS IT OR WASNT IT

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 8:15 pm
Post subject: WAS IT OR WASNT ITReply with quote

Can some find out for sure if the pie thing on the footy show last week was planned or not apparantly the latest rumors suggest that the melbourne dick knew it was going to happen and the only person that did not know was eddie himself.

I know its an old story and i know its getting boring but can some one tell me what the hell is true and isnt true.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bloody bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 2:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joffa,

Schwartz said on the news last night that he didn't know about it. And Eddie said on Gary Lyon's footy show on Sunday that Sam and one of the Producers had planned the stunt without anyone else's knowledge.

I don't know if anyone else has heard anything different???

GO PIES!

Marg

ytry4 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:30 am

If anyone has the show recorder, have a look at Shwarz's smile just before he got up and pushed Sam back... looks like a setup to me. If it was real, then why didnt he put his hand up to fend the pie off??? He just sat there looking at the damn thing, wondering whether he should eat it or not! i thought it was real, but am having doubts.

Good Old Collingwood Forever...
-------------------
BLACK & WHITE

ytry4 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 5:23 am

Well, what do you expect Channel 9 to say? They're not going to say: 'ummm... it was all a set up - great ratings wasn't it?'

I dont think so.

-------------------
BLACK & WHITE

Dantheman 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 6:45 am

Joffa, it wasn't a setup.
It was a prank planned by Newman and Ralph Horowitz.

Sam was getting into Schwarz backstage beforehand and continued on stage. Schwartz was already a simmering pot basically, before the pie, and it boiled over after the stunt.

No-one is sure if it was intended to provoke that strong a reaction, but I would say it probably was.

eMmA 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:15 am

ytry4, I saw the smile on his face thats why i thought that they had set it up, if he had no idea it was gonna happen well then wouldnt his reaction be a smack across sams face instead of smiling first. The whole thing is pretty stuffed up.

Wheather You Love me or Hate me...
Your gonna date me -Anthony Mundine

ash 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:26 am

Somebody on bigfooty posted that Schwartz admitted on 3AW that it was all a setup.

Kate 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 7:57 am

David Schwarz's manager said in the Herald Sun today that they definitely had no idea it was going to happen. You would have to wonder what anyone would be getting out of it other than Sam, so I don't believe anyone else would have agreed to have it planned. I would imagine that any trace of a smile from David could be put down to shock.

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:37 am

That was no smile on Schwartz's face. It was an embarassed "I-can't-believe-what-just-happened-and-I'm-not-quite-sure-how-to-react" face.

A friend of mine who was at the show's taping said they saw Newman lean over to speak to Schwartz in the ad-break before the incident, so those at the taping thought it was a set-up.

HOWEVER, it has since transpired that all Newman said was something in the order of "I've got a joke gift for your 150th, just play along". Hardly what you would call a set-up.

Newman will NEVER admit that Schwartz didn't know of the pie because Newman's ego has no capacity to allow his mouth to utter the words "I'm sorry", other than to say "I'm sorry if people don't believe me, but I just couldn't give a fat rat's clacker."

Broadie
afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 4:06 am

who would know ,
but this from the afl site this morning

THAT pie-in-the-face stunt involving Melbourne's David Schwarz on The Footy Show a week ago was just that -- a stunt.

According to a well-placed Melbourne source, insiders at the Nine Network said the charade was so well-orchestrated that Schwarz had to make sure Newman fell in a certain direction on the set.

The practical joke was hatched between Schwarz and his friend and Footy Show assistant producer, Ralph Horowitz, also known as ''Racetrack Ralphie''.

''Racetrack'' is a Melbourne devotee and a good friend of Schwarz.

And haven't they proved themselves to be a right couple of wags.

By catering for the lowest common denominator, The Footy Show has become one of the most successful programs in Australian television history. (And let's face it, beside Big Brother et al, it shapes as a classic).

But it can always do with a nudge in the ratings, and Schwarz is a bit of an amateur psychologist in his own right.

The sight of him being physically assaulted with the cream pie on television would lift his team-mates to new heights as they responded with a superb victory against Brisbane at the Gabba.

And why wouldn't they?

It would complement no end Schwarz's stinging criticism of them on a Melbourne radio station on the morning of The Footy Show.

Pity about those poor deluded Demon fans who went into bat for Schwarz over what they perceived as abhorrent treatment of him by Newman.

Pity, too, that the club's chief executive, John Anderson, issued a statement decrying the heinous act perpetrated on Schwarz. Not to mention AFL Players Association boss Rob Kerr's concern at the treatment of Schwarz.

Or the fact that his peers -- the other members of the Melbourne team -- were seething at his remarks on radio.

There is no doubt our David is one hell of a jokester. Just look at the litany of ''pranks'' he's been up to since the pre-season.

It was hilarious when he was relieved of the vice-captaincy for missing the odd training session.

And how funny was it when he called Geelong's aboriginal footballer, Justin Murphy, a ''coconut'' in the game against the Cats. ''Coconut'' -- brown on the outside, white in the middle -- is a derogatory term used by Aborigines to describe members of their race brought up in the white man's culture. He's one funny bloke, our David. After the same game, he told the world he didn't think too much of Geelong captain Ben Graham as a footballer. He was only joking of course.

And wasn't it absolutely side-splitting when Melbourne president Joseph Gutnick leapt to Schwarz's defence over the racial vilification allegation.

We all laughed uproariously when AFL boss Wayne Jackson and Gutnick brawled publicly, like a couple of kindergarten kids, over Gutnick's remarks, and whether he would pay the fine slapped on him for breaching the AFL rules on racial and religious vilification.

And at Melbourne they can hardly conceal their mirth about the Jackson-Gutnick affair precipitating an acrimonious split at board level and a spill of all positions after the season.

Schwarz is in the last year of his contract. Surely the club will not even consider re-signing him. It would be a restraint of trade given the career as a stand-up comic that beckons Schwarz.

The biggest joke will be Schwarz himself, because a man who bravely endured three knee reconstructions, for 150 senior games and some brilliant individual performances, will be largely remembered as the (half)wit who cooked his own goose in his final season, 2001.

Broadie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 10:11 am

You sure this isn't from THE BLADDER or some such site?

Certainly isn't a quality article, despite the website saying it's from the Australian.

I remain unconvinced - particularly by anyone who can't name their source in a case like this.

Broadie
ytry4 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:40 pm

Why would the AFL site say its from The Australian if it wasn't? I think it's a fair-dinkum article.

-------------------
BLACK & WHITE

PIE_CHICK_4EVER 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:49 pm

Ive heard stories that it was a set up and that it wasn't.
I am also lead to belive by many sources that David had no idea it was going to happen, I kind of belive that he didn't know.

I was upset about it, I think Sam took it just a tad too far.
Oh well its over with now I guess, just have to watch tonight to find out whats going to happen with it all.

BLACK AND WHITE FOR LIFE!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: