Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chad Morrison - Do we want him?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good players...WCE would want any from Presti, Lonie or Didak plus round 1 or 2 picks. No thanks.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:02 pm

I like Lonie, but he isn't untouchable. I can't see WC wanting him.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:28 pm

Getting both Morrison (WCE) and Harvey (NM) would see me satisfied with our trading period this season.

If we gave up any of:

O'Bree
Presti
Lokan
Lonie
Williams
McGough
Shaw

to get them I wouldn't be fussed but, I think it will take our higher picks to do these deals done.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:40 pm

I don't understand why people want to trade Presti.

If you do please list here all the forwards who have the wood on Presti:

Hint: don't list Brown or Tredrea.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:43 pm

Have to agree Mark. We must not trade Presti.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:48 pm

Love Presti myself and think he is a dead set honest tryer. However, think it is more about getting something good for him whilst you still can.

Injuries seem to be catching up with him, he has taken a long time to get going these past two years and had injury ravaged seasons. He isn't a good kick, doesn't get much ball or provide any run out of defense but, is a very effective negator when fit and firing.

We have a number of young KP Defenders coming through and it is more about trading from our strengths to gain coverage for our weaknesses.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:00 pm

I reckon the number of key back we have coming through is highly exaggerated. I make it at zero myself. Tex is touted as one but IMO he is a big unknown. Right now he is an athlete who can't get a kick in a stampede. He might have huge upside if it all clicks but its all if. Then there's Hall. Willi reserves so far. He has some excuses but he still hasn't shown anything much yet. Travis is another. Let’s wait and see him at VFL level before we decide on where to try him at AFL level.

The bottom line is Presti is an AFL full back. One of about half a dozen worth two bob. Probably the best performed negating key defender in the AFL. Maybe Leo Barry is up there too. Scarlet, Michael and, for some, Fletcher are guns but they get beaten more often than Presti. Sure he doesn't provide much run but a backline comprises at least 6 defenders. If they are all running attacking player you will get beaten every time in September. We can get all the backline attack we need from the pockets and flanks. Gimme me a value for money, die for the jumper, team mates love him Presti any day. Build some attack around the stability of Presti rather than try and stop gun forwards with runners.

If we trade Presti we can’t win the 2005 premiership. We won't win enough games to make the top much less stop the better forward lines in September. Let me assure whoever we replace Presti with at FB will ultimately demand and have to receive twice the salary. Don't underestimate the worth of honest toilers who don't give you any contract trouble. Unless you have your share of them you end up in Richmond/Melbourne cap trouble regardless of an average list.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:32 pm

Presti got his arse handed to him every game 2004, even Jade Rawlings made a fool out of him. Has performed in the past, but can he still do the job, or has he lost a yard or two. I dunno. Maybe it was a bad year, maybe it was a sign.
natkingcole 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:34 pm
Post subject: PrestiReply with quote

Bottom line is that we can live without Presti, but we just can't live without pacy midfielders. Look at how Carlton have gone this year with Nick Stevens. Stevens in our team would have changed the result in at least six of our games this year. Did having Presti in our team or not having him in our team, really have made that much difference this year?
sq3 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:40 pm

True Cam - Presti got flogged this year - badly.

He has no pace and very poor skills by foot.

Has a huge heart and his courage cannot be faulted.

MM learnt in the 2003 GF that maybe just having guys of good character will not win you a GF - you need Mongrels in there as well.

Look at the 1990 Pies GF - our best player in the Finals series - Pants - and he had the Mongrel in him.

C2 has the mongrel and will show it at FF in 2005.

We need some mongrels in defense - like Gayfer and Kelly were - tough.

Pies defense of 2004 were pussies - except for C1.

We don't need the 'Eye of the Tiger' what we need is the 'Heart of the Mongrel'.
Nicko 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:58 pm

Get value for Presti while he is valued by other clubs, and there is a general shortage of key defenders at many clubs. Could be used to get a classy player in an area we are more deficient in - skilled on-ballers. Get Harvey, Kerr, Kelly, Bartel or someone of similar quality, and trade Presti if we get a good deal out of it.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:26 pm

sq3 wrote:
Pies defense of 2004 were pussies - except for C1.

clement and wakelin
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:30 pm

clement and wakelin are excellent players - but not mongrels. We need skilful mongrels to complement them. Cole is hard, just not nasty - but that may come ala chris johnson as he ages.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:31 pm

Presti was beaten because he was injured.
Rob8 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:39 pm

I dont think anyone on here wants to trade Presti but unfortunately as Collingwood supporters we are often criticised for offering up unreasonable trade deals.

And for the points mentioned previously (Injuries, lost yard or 2 and poor foot skills) Presti may be a player we can live without to gain a pacy midfielder in the Brent Harvey mold.

We are finally realising that to get something in return we simply cannot offer McKee and a 3rd rd pick or Ben Kinnear & Andrew Williams because whilst we may have been hoping these blokes will come good for years they simply havent and 15 other teams see them for the ordinary players they are.

I would love to keep Presti and pick 7 and Leon Davis but simply in order to get quality we may have to take the chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: