Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

time for new leadership?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeemus 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:21 pm
Post subject: time for new leadership?Reply with quote

Tarrant is our best player, make him captain or piss him off? wadda ya reckon....
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then...probably a better idea to post this in General Discussion.

Anyhow, I will attempt to answer your post.

Tarrant would not be a good captain, at least at this stage. He is more likely to thrive in an environment where he isn't put under too much pressure. So no, Tarrant should be kept, but he should not be made captain.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:49 pm

Tarrant and captaincy material should not be mentioned in the same sentence ever again
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:55 pm

if we changed leadership, I would be thinking of Licuria, Lockyer, Johnson, maybe even Holland. I don't think Tarrant would make a good captain.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:13 pm

Fraser or Licuria definite future captains.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:19 pm

For captaincy, we need someone who can seriously influence a game, is fearless, ideally plays on the ball, remains effective under pressure, possesses a stable temperament, commands the respect of his players and peers, can handle the public role in the media the position demands at a club like Collingwood, doesn't drink, smoke or take drugs and doesn't get into punch-ups at pubs during the season. He must be a role model for every little kid out there who barracks for Collingwood and wants to emulate his hero one day.

When Taz grows up a helluva lot and becomes a man, he might be worth giving some consideration to but, for now, let's just stick with Bucks, eh?

Rhyno2004 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:44 pm

if i was to nominate a captain it would be Jimmy Clement , he may be in his late 20's but the man deserves the respect , seriously he fits all the criteria that was mentioned about except for a midfielder , but i seriously think he would be the man for the job.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:52 pm

Nath wrote:
Tarrant and captaincy material should not be mentioned in the same sentence ever again

Spot on!
It's not always the best player who leads the team. Taz doesn't strike me as the type of player who would want to be captain - let's not give him any extra baggage.
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:09 pm

Tarrant is one of those guys who could go either way If given the pressure of being captain, He could either buckle under the pressure of being the club's main man or thrive on it and grow into a great player, Either way it would be a huge risk and probably an unecessary one, so I don't think there is much chance that it will happen at this stage.

I've always thought that Josh would be our next captain, I know a lot of people have criticised him for his efforts this season but I still reckon he is the man. I think he displays all the qualities that Cannibal identified are needed to be a good captain, that said though I think Buckley will continue as captain for at least one more season
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:08 pm
Post subject: leadershipReply with quote

Should Guy Richards be given the new position of Deputy Junior Vice Captain?
vinnie_vegas69 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:10 pm

I'd give Anthony Rocca a chance to step up if we were to appoint a new Captain. I think the responsibility of being the Captain might be the kick in the arse he needs Wink
05bucks Virgo

my blood runs black and white

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:40 pm

Well i think that it should be rocca, he has the experience and it may well help with his game and make him stand up.
the black and white 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:59 pm

Tarrant just needs to concentrate on playing footy. Giving him extra responsibility i think may hamper his development. Tarrant is the type of character who just wants to play footy and based on that he should be left to do so. I dont think he would ever want to be captain.

Some players just want to do their job and thats it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:46 am

Make the future captain vice captain in 2005 under Buckley then Buckley stands aside in 2006 and the vice captain becomes captain.

Tarrant needs to focus on his footy and does not need to be made captain. Lica is to quiet for a captain. Rocca is a natural leader but to old.

Fraser may lift even more given the responsibility.

Tarkyn is held in high esteem and is the right age, unless he gets traded.

My opinion of who should captain has changed in the past year, whoever it is should do a year under Buckley. Tarkyn has been vice or deputy vice captain, done a year in the coaching box and has had the perfect education for an on and off field role.

The Smiling Assassin.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:11 am

I cannot recall where and when I read it, but there was an article not too long ago which said that Bucks wasn't a very good leader in the beginning because he was so good and so intense the players couldn't relate to him; in fact, he intimidated them. I think MM said that people had worked with Bucks on tempering his intensity to draw the players towards him. Leadership, captaincy is not something that necessarily comes easily to people, so it to Bucks' credit that he worked on that issue and succeeded in changing himself to meet the needs of the team. His career has but a couple of years to go and taking up a coaching role next year looks like being part of the transition.

So, I guess by 2006, we'll have a new captain. In truth, I don't know who it will be. Ideally, there should be someone around 22-23 now who can work on taking the role, so as to be able to hold on to it for another 5-6 years. Josh Fraser is 22 and has been touted as a future captain. The other possibilities are Johnno and Taz, but neither of the latter two have displayed the qualities to be taken seriously, and, whilst Fraser is often said to have "captain" written all over him, I'm yet to be convinced.

However, you would expect the leadership group to be mainly the older guys, as they need to lead the younger kids and set the example. Fraser is part of this group, even though still young. On that basis, he is ahead of the others but I feel the next year will be a crunch year for many, and perhaps some other player will step up and display the appropriate qualities. In Ritchie Cole, I see potential. It would be good for him to show further improvement and, if he can start to impose himself more on games, may be a dark horse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: