Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Presti

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snow24 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:00 am
Post subject: PrestiReply with quote

I read in the Australian today that we are looking to trade him for a first round pick. I think we are making a very big mistake. He didn't have the best season last year but I am still extremely unconvinced about Walker's ability to fill a key defender post and Wakelin will retire in the next 2-3 seasons.
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10859794%255E2722,00.html

I just wanna know whos gonna play FB next year. And i dont think a HUGE preseason is gonna make that much of a difference to Walker, Cloke etc...

Im bemused, Presti does not deserve this. Id rather trade Walker
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:53 am

Yep I agree Walker doesn't have a cool enough head under pressure to make it as a key defender yet. Presti maybe slow but he still reads the play well. Dont forget he plays hall, tredrea and brown very well. Walker still doesn't have the ability to break even with these blokes yet. but has definitely shown his potential in a few games, he really needs to get nasty maybe go to a sadism school over the pre season and get some ned kelly tatts on his forehead and get a mullet!

www.facebook/the hybernators
i_luv_tarkyn! Scorpio

Dream Big!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:07 pm

Balme was on SEN just before and he said there is no truth in the rumour about Presti.

luv jess

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:09 pm

neil balme said on SEN that the article was the first he had heard of trading presti (although he would say that....). he expressed a bit of disappointment re the media but didnt go so far to suggest it was actually inaccurate. i guess, regardless of whether its true, the idea is not a bad one. huge fan of presti and would prefer to see him remain in black and white but he has had a rough 2 years with injury and would be close to 27 or so. this isnt old of course but if a club was willing to give a first round pick(i seriously doubt this) or a decent, young, quick midfielder for him, now might be the time to take it. looking at freo who thought they could sign clive waterhouse for 2 years and then still get something for him returning to SA has me thinking its sometimes best to be daring.
PiesFan 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:14 pm

Well he wouldnt go on SEN and say yes, Presti is gone from the club. We will just have to wait and see.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:13 pm

i agree with pies fan balme wouldnt say we are gonna trade him and how many times has balme said the truth on sen
chalky 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:43 pm

Presti aint going nowhere!! All this trade bait chatter came about because some got excited about the potential possessed by an emerging key position prospect in "Tex" Walker. Presti did not become Mr Reliable overnight. It took time, lots of learning from lots of mistakes. To get rid of this experience and replace it with a "possible" or "potential" or "emerging" when we have the real deal is sheer folly. MM knows this. Good FBs are just as difficult to find.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:46 pm

yeah I don't think he will be dealt. And I don't think there is a club out there willing to give a 1 round pick for him. If you look at the article it's like some throw away line down the bottom. Not even worth it's own headline!!!
erniedog Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:52 pm

If true, is the first draft pick going to be part of another exchange eg. Harvey/Bruce/Del Santo?

If not, then it indicates that MM is not looking at next year but the year after to make the run up the ladder- ie. 2 round 1 picks, T.Cloke + any other draft would take a year to groom. Shaws, Hall, Morrison should debut sometime in 05 - Shaws probably early, Hall mid, Morrison late). Would indicate that McG, R.Shaw, O'bree would be traded for younger players or draft picks rather than ready made players (eg. McG for Gilbee or pick from 15 to 30).

Nicko 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:16 pm

erniedog you mention Harvey, Bruce and Dal Santo... I would jump at the chance to get any of those 3. To get players like that, you need to give up quality. Presti is one of our players who I see as expendable, that is valued by other clubs. Many clubs are light on for key defenders. Personally I'm not a fan of Presti and think Tristan Walker has shown enough to warrant a permanent spot in the backline. He looks the goods.

A backline of Wakelin, J. Cloke, Walker, Clement, with smaller types such as Lonie, Cole and Ben Johnson, is the way to go I reckon. If we can use Presti to gain a gun like the 3 mentioned before, go for it I say.
PiesFan 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:25 pm

While i agree with some of what you say Nicko, the problem lies in depth in the backline. If we trade Presti and one of our backmen get injured again, we are gorn.

But some of your points are also correct. To get quality u have to part with something of value. Presti does represent some value at least. It is true when you say that many clubs are light on key defenders, but one of those clubs happen to be us!
Big T 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:26 pm

Our biggest problem has been offence. defence has continually stood up. Problem is lack of small forwards who regularly kick goals and Rocca's fitness / backup options at CHF. If Presti is to be traded it would want to be for a quality gun small forward, and even then I would suggest it could come unstuck in a major way if the Clokes and Walker don't cut it.

Its all a gamble, imagine if Presti went the way of Gaspar and we had a chance to trade him, or imagine if he is traded and hits peak career form. There are no easy answers and hindsight will be a prick if we get it wrong.

loch 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:43 pm
Post subject: Time-frameReply with quote

If not, then it indicates that MM is not looking at next year but the year after to make the run up the ladder- ie. 2 round 1 picks, T.Cloke + any other draft would take a year to groom.

But I think the time-frame is far too short. Allow 3-5 years to 'groom' a draftee and make a good player of him. I also think we're looking at maximum picks, and trading to achieve them, as you suggest. This is longest-term strategy possible, so don't expect much for 1-3 years, folks. The raft of draftees from 2-4 years ago will be lifting us (we hope!) by then. Two top 10s and one or two high 2nd rounders now will look good in 2008 or so.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:58 pm

We would'nt get a first round pick for Presti & I wouldnt want to swap him for anything less. We have no one else as strong as him to play on the big strong forwards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: