Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Please think before you post

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:16 pm
Post subject: Please think before you postReply with quote

My first reaction when I saw the posts 'MOLLOY STINKS!' and 'PATHETIC PIES WILL MISS FINALS YET AGAIN' was to delete them out of hand. I see the posts as soon as they hit the board because the system notifies me of every post, so I could have ditched them and the only people to know would have been Millane42 and me. I've never deleted a football related post by a pies fan and it's not a precedent I want to set, so I decided to leave them.

A few people have commented that we must allow criticism, otherwise the board loses touch with reality. That's true, but there's criticism and there's needless negativity. All those posts were really, were written tantrums. Even that wasn't what made me cringe when I saw them, I know only too well, as we all do, the bitterness that can come after an unexpected loss - it was the vicious way the headings were phrased.

I've only seen posts headed that way by trolling dickheads from other teams and we really don't need to do that to ourselves.

Please think before you post. We know that Eddie reads the board and I also know of several players that do also. I don't know if Jarrod Molloy does, but I'd hate to think that he might come in here, presumably home territory for him, and see that heading on the bulletin board, especially after the great game he played on Sunday.

Most importantly, remember that whatever you write in here is read by hundreds of the magpie faithfull - your family.

To give you an indication of the number of people who have read the posts today - I'm attaching an extract from the server logs which show the top 20 files served by the system.

MOLLOY STINKS! is 1486.html
PATHETIC PIES WILL MISS FINALS YET AGAIN is 1485.html

-------------------------------------------------------------

Number of hits on documents between 00:00 and 11:30pm - 6,496

Hits    %          File
722   11.11 %      /nick/ubb-cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=General+Discussion
276    4.25 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001486.html
250    3.85 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001485.html
201    3.09 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001484.html
134    2.06 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001490.html
121    1.86 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001486-2.html
117    1.80 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001492.html
114    1.75 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001493.html
114    1.75 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001481-2.html
113    1.74 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001481.html
112    1.72 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001488.html
99     1.52 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001473-2.html
94     1.45 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001473.html
81     1.25 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001489.html
66     1.02 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001491.html
64     0.99 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001487.html
62     0.95 %      /nick/ubb-cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Cheer+Squad
61     0.94 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001483.html
58     0.89 %      /nick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001482.html
57     0.88 %      /nick/ubb-cgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Chicks+Channel

-----------------------------------------------

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Molloy does read this I think he'll find there has been plenty of support for him here from the Collingwood faithful, it's the unfaithful that have lacked the support. Yes Ed reads this board too and what a top bloke he is too. Ed's such a top bloke I'm sure he's inviting us all along to goto London with him at his expense. My invite must have got lost in the mail, I'm sure it'll turn up soon.

Fradam Wrote This
SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:43 am

Thats weird fradam, ive got mine already

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:10 am

Yep got mine and it arrived with a bottle of champers!!

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL must never NATIONS.'YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE'NUMBER 42 FOREVER ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:35 pm

Mine was delivered with a red rose......lol

BE LOUD......BE PROUD

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:55 pm

I got a ticket to Melbourne from him, and a bottle of Crippled Cock cider too Joffa, wots it all mean?

Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:44 am

Point taken Mike - in future I will not post a "vicious" heading with topic. True I was frustrated and threw a tantrum. But I respect the fact that this a forum for ALL collingwood supporters - either in melbourne, WA, NSW, QLD, tas, ACT, SA , NT and around the world - some positive and some negative people. Other clubs don't have such a place to air their concerns and opinions. Free speech is promoted here, whether it be "needless negativity" or "constructive criticism", sometimes I feel if someone says something negative in life, that can spur you on to try harder - a sort of reverse psychology. So in this case I hope Molloy will spur on with the criticism and the forthcoming support he received in response. At the end of the day we all love this team - sometimes frustration and the airing of your feelings so that people can empathise with you or criticise you can ease the pain. C'mon pies just win the games you should be winning!

COLLINGWOOD FOREVER!

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:26 am

Don't worry about it Millane42, I understand where you were at and I realise that I was probably getting a bit precious. I have a hard time handling the negativity that arises whenever we hit a bump ...and I remember thinking when that topic 'Get rid of Licuria' appeared on the official forum, that it should never have been posted there. So when your topics appeared they pressed buttons.

There was a time when a posting like that would have resulted in a torrent of negativity and I was a bit concerned that that would happen again. So I just put the brakes on a bit. To the credit of the people who use this board, that wasn't even remotely like what actually happened, in fact the reverse happened and, as someone has already said, if Jarrod Molloy did visit and read the board he could only have ended up with the feeling that he was appreciated and supported.

I actively hate my role of overseer on this board because it removes me from the community, but it has to done if the board is to continue. I apologise if I over-react from time to time or make a decision you disagree with, but I can't promise not to do it again.

Mike

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:43 pm

Good point Mike!!

Insert Creative signature <HERE>
Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 2:05 pm

Keep up the good work Mike. You've saved me from making a complete ass of myself before, and you'll do it again if the occassion arises, that's just part of the job.
I do apologise for my behaviour in "tantrum" mode.

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: