Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rumour - Magpies set to part with Shaw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that I agree with Wallace's comment about putting Shaw on with 1 minute left being embarrassing. If Shaw is to stay on at Collingwood next year he needs to be given a decent go, especially when he's in form.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:03 pm

Most sensible post by me, ie finally a sensible post by cam? Or in general Laughing
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:36 pm

Rhyce cannot/will not be in the starting 22 next year.
He will struggle to be in the best 25-26 players at the club.
How can he be given a) a go
Or b)a fair go?
He should know by now (5 years) that he has no future at Collingwood in regards to being a senior player.
If Richmond or Carlton want him lets trade, otherwise delist the poor bloke & give him a chance somewhere else.

Look at a player like Mahoney, 3 A.F.L clubs, Willy, now he's playing A.F.L finals in the team that finished top of the ladder. Not bad for a hack.
deck Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:51 pm

Cam wrote:
Grand Finals - not necessarily H & As - are won by hard nut teams who put their heads over the ball and out muscle the opposition. They target the weak links. Rhyce has talent but he doesn't have grunt.

Thats why we will keep swan.
deck Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:55 pm

Birdy wrote:
Have to say that I agree with Wallace's comment about putting Shaw on with 1 minute left being embarrassing. If Shaw is to stay on at Collingwood next year he needs to be given a decent go, especially when he's in form.

I agree with balmey. The game was still in the balance and had he kicked the winning goal it's classed a genius move.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:22 pm

Cam wrote:
Most sensible post by me, ie finally a sensible post by cam? Or in general Laughing

In general Cam. Smile

I agree Birdy, it was embarrassing to see Shaw get the last minute. It was like saying - get one last kick before you go. Its like junior footy when the coach puts the worst player on for only the last minute. If MM doesn't want him (and it seems he doesn't) Rhyce should leave as soon as he can for his own interests.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:41 pm

True deck. Swan does keep his head over the ball. I see no problem in keeping him - he will only get better with experience.
sq3 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:44 am

Cam - all of them will improve is we get a full time skills coach - even R. Shaw, MCG, Lica etc.,
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:00 am

Cam wrote:
True deck. Swan does keep his head over the ball. I see no problem in keeping him - he will only get better with experience.

I don't have any problems keeping him, but if the right trade comes up....

He just needs work on his skills and pace to be a solid 100 game plus footballer.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:43 am

One thing that seems to be overlooked in this debate about Shaw is that, whilst it is true he has played only 39 games in five years, he's played 35 of them in the last two, out of 45 games played by the club. That marks him as a first choice player. His first three years at the club were hampered by illness - chronic fatigue syndrome, if my memory is correct, which he suffered from before arriving at the club - and his attitude. To his credit, he turned his attitude around during the 2003 pre-season.

I read somewhere recently that he and Leon Davis were the quickest players during the pre-draft camp, and, given our cries for more midfield pace, plus the fact that he has one year left on his contract and doesn't have to move on if he doesn't want to, I'd like to see him dig his heels in, stay and work over summer on putting some bulk on his frame so he can gain more confidence in his ability to crash packs and play in the middle next year.

Frankly, neither he nor the club has anything to lose from giving him one more year.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:36 pm

Cannibal wrote:
Frankly, neither he nor the club has anything to lose from giving him one more year.

Excpet his confidence...(which is already low).
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:13 pm

If MM is serious with Shaw he should say look, here's 5 games, i will not take you off the park. Show me what you have. Problem is, this year was the year to do that.
melissa Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:16 pm

MM just doesn't have any faith in him. If he was really serious about giving our younger players a go he wouldn't be treating guys like Shaw and McGough like he does. I get frustrated with Malthouse because he tends to rest a player right when he's doing well. (McGough, Anzac Day '04). Same as the way he treated JC in last years grannie. He should have put someone like Lonie up forward to cover for Rocca, not someone who isn't confident with his kicking! Let Shaw go if he doesn't feel appreciated with Collingwood. It's only going to burn later on if he stays and gets treated like shit for another five years.
Gomez 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:43 pm

Cannibal,
Your observations are usually on the mark, but you are delusional to think Shaw will ever crash a pack.
The way he avoids contact is embarrassing to him & the rest of us.
tdesmaele 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:46 am

If we trade / delist Swan at the end of the year then I will be extremely pissed. The kid can play footy and should be in our best 22 next season. Think back to the first Brisbane game for proof.

As for Shaw being brought on with a minute left I wouldn't read too much into it as the GAME was still in the balance. It's not like he was brought on with a minute to go during a 10 goal hammering. But if he wants out then that's fine as well. I've been happy with his improvement and endenvour this year. But lets face it - he is replaceable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: