Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rumour - Magpies set to part with Shaw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:51 am
Post subject: Rumour - Magpies set to part with ShawReply with quote

Quote:
COLLINGWOOD and Rhyce Shaw, a member of one of the club's most famous families, look destined to part. The final straw may have come on Friday night when Shaw was sent back on to the MCG with one minute remaining in the game against Carlton.

Quote:
Terry Wallace said he would like to have Shaw at Punt Rd next year.

Quote:
Wallace has declared Richmond's interest and Carlton is also believed to have looked at Shaw in trade talks.

At this stage, this is just a rumour, but the full story can be found at http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10621730%255E11088,00.html

Hooked
no fear Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical piece of gutter journalism. Not even a by-line; suggesting that nobody at the Herald Scum has the courage to put their name to the story.

So what's the story based on? Looks like it's just Terry Wallace on 3AW trying to stir up some trouble. If Rhyce does get the flick, it won't be because Terry Wallace suggested it. This is a failed coach who ran his last team into the ground and then scurried away when he thought he had a better offer. Richmond and Wallace cetainly deserve each other.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:07 am

He should stay, but I don't like his chances.

Who do we get? I would like Tivendale but it would be asking for too much.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:21 am

Neil Balme on SEN 1116 this morning typically gave very little away, however there was some notable aspects of the brief discussion he had.

Billy Brownless mentioned Dane Swan as a trade and Balme was categorical in his statement that Swan wasn't going anywhere, he wasn't as supportive in my opinion when the names of McGough and Shaw were mentioned.

Collingwood approached Tivendale two years ago whilst he was uncontracted and offered him $100k more than what Richmond were to come across to Collingwood, he stayed because he thought the Tigers had the better list. I don't think he's excelled more in those two years, and to be honest, don't expect to get a great deal if we were to trade Rhyce, after all, most supporters have the same opinions that many in this forum share, and I'd suggest that these opinions don't differ greatly amongst clubs. I'd like Pettifer from Richmond for Shaw though, would be quite handy up forward.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:33 pm

Yeah not a bad trade, could work!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:49 pm

Shaw for Chaffey is ok too.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:55 pm

23 year old with 39 games for a 27 year old who regularly gets a heap of it, is fairly well paced, kicks both sides of the body, has a bit of 'Rex Hunt' about him and will allow Johnson and Lonie to play forward of the ball.....

I like it Cam
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:58 pm

27 year old with 142 games as well. Nice.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:21 pm

Footy dept will be taking a risk in dropping a promising Shaw. If he becomes a force at another club - and I think he will unless OP problems prevent it - and we have another mediocre year (and that will be more likely if he does since it will be bad for morale) then the coaching staff and perhaps one MM will be in big trouble towards the end of the season.
To a lesser (because they are not Shaws and don't have 2 brothers at the club)extent the same goes for Mc-cough and any other promising player such as Rowe or Crow, who will both be forces if not stars.
Sure footy is a business, but they had better be careful and be very aware of other factors beyond treating players like products on a grocery shelf. That also goes for the way players are left to pine on the pine like last Friday - bad for morale and bad for devt.

Even though it makes more sense footy-wise, dropping J Cloke could also be risky, esp since drafting T Cloke probably partly hinged on both his brothers being there.

AS far as Rhyce's career goes, he will probably be better off at another club - just seems to be stymied and unappreciated at Cwood but I may be wrong.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:33 pm

Ummm.........I'm not a Rhyce hater, nor am I a Rhyce lover, I'm a realist and smart money says after 5 years at a club and 39 games and you aren't in the best 22 and young guys like Rowe are knocking on your door, your unlikely to turn it around and become a 'force' for another team.

Problem people don't seem to see is that we have numerous guys just like Rhyce, Lokan, Rowe on the list that are going to be serviceable to the club, but they aren't going to take you to the next step. He's a good kid, believe me he's a good kid, but if you're not going to play him, send him somewhere else to someone who wants to play him and get something from them in return.

I put it to you like this, was he not a Shaw would he have been given a contract extension after barely registering a blip on the Senior 22 scale in his first 3 years. Everyone in this forum is gunning for Nixon, Mullins, Shackleton, etc.....but they've cracked it earlier than Rhyce and in a stronger team as far as I'm concerned and they've had to and yet we are delisting them (we as in the forum) on the form of two years and we've given Rhyce 5 good years.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:40 pm

Nath wrote:
Neil Balme on SEN 1116 this morning typically gave very little away, however there was some notable aspects of the brief discussion he had.

Billy Brownless mentioned Dane Swan as a trade and Balme was categorical in his statement that Swan wasn't going anywhere, he wasn't as supportive in my opinion when the names of McGough and Shaw were mentioned.

Collingwood approached Tivendale two years ago whilst he was uncontracted and offered him $100k more than what Richmond were to come across to Collingwood, he stayed because he thought the Tigers had the better list. I don't think he's excelled more in those two years, and to be honest, don't expect to get a great deal if we were to trade Rhyce, after all, most supporters have the same opinions that many in this forum share, and I'd suggest that these opinions don't differ greatly amongst clubs. I'd like Pettifer from Richmond for Shaw though, would be quite handy up forward.

I think we should offer Swan, as he has been here 3 years and hasn't really made amn impression apart fromt he beginning of the season. He should be up for auction.

Chaffey for Shaw is fine by me.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:45 pm

If Swan is on offer, start thinking of an Essendon player you'd want for him, because Sheedy will trade for him.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:51 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:

I think we should offer Swan, as he has been here 3 years and hasn't really made an impression apart from the beginning of the season. He should be up for auction.

What?! Swan looked a natural born backman and, IMO, he will be in our starting 22 next season down there. All I can say is that I agree with Balme that we don't want to lose him.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:52 pm

Grand Finals - not necessarily H & As - are won by hard nut teams who put their heads over the ball and out muscle the opposition. They target the weak links. Rhyce has talent but he doesn't have grunt.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:57 pm

No, I can't see Swan in the starting team next season.

Cam, that is the most sensable post I've read for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: