Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Woey as trade bait?? Ur kidding

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:18 pm
Post subject: Woey as trade bait?? Ur kiddingReply with quote

I might seem biast (considering my avatar etc..) but lets be realistic. Woewodin has had an excellent year, extremely consistent. BUT, his work on the training track and on the field sets an amazing standard for the young guys. Hes work ethic, and dedication to get the most out of himself is far more valuable than any trade. Think of what licca and woey have done to help brodies career.

And realistically, who would trade for him. He is earning big bucks, and teams that would "need" him, bulldogs?? richmond?? freo?? etc would not want to spend that kind of dough. He is more valuable to us...

And at the end of the day, just because ppl think hes not good enough at our club, y would others want him...

When u trade u need to give to get...

If u want stars, players like...

J Cloke, Didak, Cole, McGough, Presti, Obree, Brodie, Davis, Johnson, Lockyer, Lonie have to be offered... Am i right??
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, serious question deserves a serious answer.

If people who want to trade for quality like Judd are serious, then players like Woey are what we would have to give up.

Personally, I'm among those who think Woey is too slow and a bit soft. I think you could count on one hand the number of times he has crunched a pack to get a hard ball this year. On the other hand, I love his marking strength, even against taller opponents, and his accurate kicking for goal. I have long advocated he be placed on the forward line as a small forward. I think we could get 30 goals per year out of him.

The biggest downside is his salary. Melbourne off-loaded him because they couldn't afford to keep him and chose to develop younger players. Based on their performances this year, that now looks like a rather shrewd call. I don't think he's worth the rumoured $450k per year Melbourne signed him to but, if he re-signs with us (I believe he comes out of contract this year but may be wrong), would he stay for less? After all, Melbourne are only going to continue subsidising his salary whilst he's under that contract and I would suggest he's worth about $300k tops.

If he wants to stay and play with us, help us win a premiership, then fine, but if he wants the money, then we should trade him.

Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:34 pm

No chance they will trade him, but he wont get anymore than $250K next contract. He's older and even he'd realise that the money he's got in the past few years is beyond his ability. He'll stay, he's a key player in the team, but if he want's more money, trade him straight up. You don't need to broker with a guy like Woey over money - it just isn't worth it.
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:40 pm

[quote="Cannibal"]OK, serious question deserves a serious answer.

Personally, I'm among those who think Woey is too slow and a bit soft. I think you could count on one hand the number of times he has crunched a pack to get a hard ball this year... I have long advocated he be placed on the forward line as a small forward. I think we could get 30 goals per year out of him.

Agreed, but that is not always expected as a reciever/creater. But u have to admit he is one of the first to be at the bottom of the packs.

I think he is out of contract next year, bcos we signed him for 2 year extension, and melbourne had 1 year left. He is on around $300k, which is not completely out of his market worth.

And seriously, a trade for Judd would have to be Lockyer, Woey and a Draft pick (2nd round)... i dont even think they would consider...
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:29 pm

I'd trade Woey for a faster, younger mid in the blink of an eye.

Why (please take collectively not individually):

We have plenty of his type (slowish, shortish)

He is treacle slow

He is getting on

He is on big money

He holds the ball up too long, moves it on slowly and that often results in a turnover.
Now people will howl straight away that his kicking is one of his great skills, I will not argue with that.
What I will point out is that when he gets the ball in space he wanders to the boundry, waits, waits and then delivers beautifully to a contest on the further along the boundry or similar. He takes too long, opposition has ample time to run back whilst he is looking and looking for an option. We need pacy, skilled midfielders that can move the ball quickly.

He might be at the better end of the bunch of midfielders of his type that we have at the moment but, you have to be prepared to trade quality in one area to pick up quality in another.
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:40 pm

understand all of that, but no one has answered me yet...

WHO would want him... given all of those supposed deficiencies, and what would we get for him??

I still think he is more valuable than what we would get in an offer...
And please do not mention Dew, he is too slow, and port will try shaft us with a deal anyway.

If he cant get a game for port, leave him in the SANFL
rand corp 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:45 pm

The answer is, you simply do not know who is on offer.

The point is, you put him up and see what you get or you have a look at who is offering who and see if they are interested.

It is impossible to know at this point of the year exactly who is up for trade, whether by another club or by Collingwood.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:56 pm

Woey will not leave. He is as safe as houses. He is a chance for mthe Copeland Trophy this season, and will most likely finish 2nd behind Clement. He has had a good season, not spectacular, but good. He must be retained, as players like him don't come along often. I'm not even sure why the Demons got rid of him. He is a talent that doesn't come along too often. But there is a catch to him. Player such as Judd. Judd is/will be better then Woey, and may well win a Brownlow himself. To add to that, Woey is a Western Australian, and may want to return. We'd have to throw in Davis/Lockyer plus our first pick. I wouldn't do it. I would not even think about trading him. This Judd stuff is just fantasy. The Eagles are just not stupid enough to get rid of him.

To sum it up, Woey is safe.

Woey#02, who would want him? The Dogs, Tigers and Hawks. They have nothing we really need.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:27 am

Melbourne got rid of him because of (a) all the deficencies listed above, (b) because he'd fluked a massive contract after winning the Brownlow, and (c) the outlay on him was hindering their ability to re-sign other players they considered more value to them. The $300k saving they made probably allowed them to pay six other players another $50k each and, based on their performances this year, it was a good call. A pointed reminder to all clubs that they need to be sensible about what they pay their top players.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:24 am

Look I've been harsh on this bloke in the past but I reckon he has really shown something, Especially in the last part of the year when a lot of other blokes had packed it in for the holidays. I think he is worth keeping and his expierence will serve us well at half back and as a part tagger on some of the big names. His Job on Pavlich was superb, and he had a decent crack at hird and kouta both when they were in top form, a hard task for anybody!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Zeke Scorpio

Growl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:52 pm

Woewodin is an unaccountable reciever. Let's be honest, he is a natural frontrunner, but we need someone in and under to extract the ball and give it to our better recievers.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:17 pm

Zeke wrote:
Woewodin is an unaccountable reciever. Let's be honest, he is a natural frontrunner, but we need someone in and under to extract the ball and give it to our better recievers.

Which bit makes sense! Rolling Eyes
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:49 pm

He will only be truely accountable when he is assigned a job. I agree he is loose, but I'd have him over a hell of a lot of other players floating around. If you told me we'd have him back in 2000 I'd be as happy as anything! (Still am Very Happy).
woe_is_me Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:11 am

My god - trade Woewodin??? Only for somebody in the top-class bracket of midfielders could he be traded for.

He was in our top 5 players for the year and played some magnificent games.

It is always the same people who are calling for his head, and they will never come around, no matter what Woey does on the field.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:47 am

I shudder when I read that people think Woey played well in defence over the last few games of the season. I almost exhausted myself screaming blue murder at him to kick the flamin' ball. He held on to it so long, you'd swear he'd died but no-one had noticed. When we have players like Maxwell, Jimmy, Johnno and Wakes, blokes with some pace, playing in the backline, for what rational reason do you need a tortoise like Woey playing there? By the time Woey stuffs around trying to decide where to kick it, the opposition have closed down every single one of our players upfield from him. So many posters have said that we can, if we choose to, play very, very quick play-on footy and that's the gameplan we need if we are going to challenge next season. Woey in the backline will set us back 30 years, no, make it 40!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: