Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Players who will be around at Pick 7

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:01 pm
Post subject: Players who will be around at Pick 7Reply with quote

Hopefully, this is a bit of info for everyone regarding what we may target come the draft.

Its a big smokey, but Richard Tambling may still be around at Pick 7, if not, I'd be happy with most of the others. Notes are from the Under 18 Championships.

Richard Tambling - Southern Districts, 180cm, 68kg, 17 years old
Medium midfielder/forward with blistering pace and goal sense. Also a strong tackler, he had an outstanding championship, winning the Harrison Medal for best and fairest in division two, after winning the McLean Medal at the National's AFL under 16 championships in 2002. Averaged 20 disposals and kicked eight goals in brilliant fashion.

Angus Monfries - Sturt, 180cm, 70kg, 17 years old
Small inside midfielder with terrific workrate and clean hands. Reads the game well and is a prolific ball-winner and good user. Made senior debut last year at Sturt and had excellent championship. Also impressed at under 17 level against Ireland earlier this year as a member of the AIS-AFL academy. Averaged 22 possessions and among South Australia's best each match.

Ben Eckermann - Sturt, 177cm, 74kg, 17 years old
Small inside midfielder with excellent pace and ball-winning ability. Breaks the lines and carries the ball well, penetrating the forward zone. Most consistent player in the championships, winning South Australia's most valuable player award, averaging 20 possessions.

Ryan Griffen - South Adelaide, 186cm, 78kg, 17 years old
Medium inside midfielder/forward with great poise, awareness and disposal skills. Real talent with goalkicking ability and senior experience this year. Another AIS-AFL academy graduate. Had 25 possessions against Western Australia and 22 possessions against Vic Metro in two classy performances.

Alan Toovey - Claremont/Aquinas, 189cm, 77kg, 17 years old
Medium inside defender with terrific pace and long left-foot kick. Can run opposition down from behind with strong tackles. In AIS-AFL academy squad in 2003/04. Outstanding against Vic Metro in narrow win with 17 possessions across half-back.

All this is one the assumption that we look at a pacy on baller that is damaging.
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nath for the information.

Let's just hope our recruiters are on the same wavelength.

Presti_is_god 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:31 pm

Griffen will be gone by our pick. Many are touting him as #1.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:16 pm

Brett Deledio
Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Ryan Willets
Cameron Wood

These guys are all players likely to go in the top few and what we have to look at is that the three clubs who have picks before us all lack key position talent. The Dogs don't have a full foward or full back, nor do the Hawks and the Tigers lack a centre half forward and centre half back. I'd go as far to say that we will secure a gun midfielder at pick 7.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:19 pm

Nath, do you have the details/summary of these kids as well as the ones in your first post? I know the names but not a lot about them and would be keen to see how they stack up against the positions you mention.
Presti_is_god 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Nath wrote:
Brett Deledio
Lance Franklin
Jarryd Roughead
Ryan Willets
Cameron Wood

These guys are all players likely to go in the top few and what we have to look at is that the three clubs who have picks before us all lack key position talent. The Dogs don't have a full foward or full back, nor do the Hawks and the Tigers lack a centre half forward and centre half back. I'd go as far to say that we will secure a gun midfielder at pick 7.

Very true. But teh talents of Deledio and Griffen are too good to ignore. I think the Dogs will take 2 KPP after the failed Tim Walsh. But I think the Tiges and Hawks will ake sum1 to compliment Hodge and Coughlan. That could mean Tambling slipping through.
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:29 pm

I think that Tambling is the sniff to be around at 7, but I'd be jumping on the spot and kissing the sky if Griffen was around at 7.

Mind you, a bit will be dependent on how highly the Pies rate Leonard, if neither Griffen or Tambling are available at 7 and Leonard is in the plans, I think they'll go for Toovey, who is a bit taller and just as quick. But if not, they may go for the smaller player like Eckerman or someone like that. I agree though, Griffen is likely to go before we get a crack at him
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:29 pm

It is very rare that quality players slip through!!

What u have to remember is that Dogs, Tigers, Hawks may trade away their second picks for good players at WC or dockers, leaving tambling to go to a WC or FREO, and stay home.

I rated Kane Tenace a huge talent, but seeing the guys that went before him, u understand why he went to geelong at number 8. Clubs will draft the best players they can and use other draft picks to trade for KPP. Dont be surprised if Dogs etc try to get Quinten Lynch or Paul Johnson for an early pick.

Remember, pick the best player available, we did get Tarrant at no.8 and cole at no.11

Be smart, not pedantic...
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:41 pm

Woey, if thats the case, draft Grundy from South Australia....he's the best out of the top 6 and thats that. But why would you draft a centre half forward......its list management. I agree in principle with you Woey, I just don't believe that its as black and white as you put it.
Di Di Didak Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:45 pm

Fair point.... but all im saying is i think its too early to speculate just yet.
Maybe wait to see if we even have a pick 7??? Maybe we might stooge richmond like they did with us in the Mckee - Danny Roach trade and end up with number 4??

I think wait for trades too be done with... then watch the rumors fly!!
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:41 pm

Tambling, Delido, Roughhead and a few others are chances. Griffen will be gone. Pity Mitch Mortain will be going to Freo - he is a gun. Maybe we can pull one out of the fire. Michael Prendergast may not be an early pick, but he is fast, skilled and a rover. The only problem is his size. I'd have him.
Prynny_22 Sagittarius

Out of Nicks BB Retirement

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:39 pm

Another Few good u18's
Luke Herrington - Dandenong Stingrays (Small Foward)
Jarred Moore- Dandenong Stingrays (Small Foward/Midfielder)
Jayden Attard - Dandenong Stingrays (Backman)
Rowan Nayna - Dandenong Stingrays (Flanker/Midfielder)
Xavier Leslie - Sandringham Dragons/Melbourne Grammer (Midfielder)
Marcus Drum -Murray Bushrangers (Midfielder)
Ryan Herring - North Ballarat Rebels (Backman)
Ben Jolley - Calder Cannons
Eddie Betts - Calder Cannons
Ryan Bain - Oakley Chargers
Jarryd Roughhead - Gipsland Pawer
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:03 pm

BTW - Marcus Drum is the newphw? of Damian - former Freo coach. What about Will Gayfer?
Nath Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:13 am

Michael Prendergast wll still be around in the late 40's. I've known him for a good while, our family's have holidayed together down the Victorian coast, but he will get picked up but you can keep him in mind.

As a Cannons follower and the son of staff down there, I'd have money on Ben Jolley getting picked up, Ivan Maric being taken by the Eagles, Eddie Betts getting picked up but probably late (he is a little small), someone like Richmond may have an interest in Matt Little and possibly Dale Male getting taken. You never know though, I didn't pick Zac Dawson getting drafted by the Hawks.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 am

Will Gayfer is Mick Gayfer's younger brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: