Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who to delist?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:01 am
Post subject: Who to delist?Reply with quote

There are already topics on who to trade, but delisting is a bit of a different problem. Going through the list there are few players that don't show some promise.
Definites are Williams and Kinnear but they are absorbed by compulsory rookie promotions in Maxwell and Crow and maybe Leonard also (not sure what the situation is with him).
We have to decide how many vacancies we want to leave for the nat draft. Definitely leave one for the first round, and maybe the second, but after that it is very debatable whether it is worth it to swap promising 2nd year players for untried middle-pick hopefuls.

Others that may be droppable:

- McKee's time has probably come and should get another gig
- Lokan - decent enough and may improve a lot (but maybe not)?
- Shack: very good first game effort recently I thought, but still an unknown quantity. Might even be a future star and unless he puts in a good AFL game in the next 2 rounds it'll take another year to find out.
- Mccough: Will be a very valuable player at the least if he gets over OP and improves disposal ( which will take at least another season).
- Wakes: would be a shame as he is a great and clever player, but it's a tight situation and his relative lack of pace and age counts against him.

Personally I think I would drop Stunner, try to trade for a higher draft pick.
also probably Wakes reluctantly and trust that Presti takes on a big leadership role. Others would be hard decisions, and depend on the value of the new crop. I suppose Shack or Lokan would have to be the first choice.

Last edited by bokka on Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

- Williams MUST go. He has had ZERO influence this year, and the only influence he has last year, was in the Wizzer Cup, and in the first couple of rounds.

- We should let Kinnear go, but that would involve paying the last year of his contract. I would do that, and give a kid a chance. As of next year, this bloke will have been 8 yrs on our list, if I'm not mistaken. Time to go.

- McKee has been a good backup, but I think this year will be his last. Having said that, the club may keep him as an emergency, or they may decide to delist him, and use someone like Crow as the last choice backup (at this stage in his development anyway).

- Lokan may go, but I doubt it.

- Shaw, Rowe, Nixon, O'Bree, Shackleton, and Swan will come under the microscope.

MUST NOT GO:

- Wakes. The guy can't go yet. He has performed his job very well for the past couple of seasons, and I don't think he should be forced out the door. I still think the guy has a season or so left in him. Besides, I think we need the elder statesman down there while Maxwell and Walker are developing.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:40 pm

OK so how many would you delist and who? - assuming you agree we should elevate Crow and Maxwell.
I'm leaning toward delisting 4 or 5, no more.
RE Wakes, he will almost certainly be good value next season and maybe one more (unless prevented by injuries). Unless the pickings are very good it would not be worth letting him go I suppose.

AT the moment I'm thinking Ben (but give him a last gasp in these last 2 games, hope he plays poorly so as not to complicate matters!), Willliams, Stunner, and the 4th is very difficult. REally it seems to early to tell which of the young players, need another year to see how they develop. Either or all of the vulnerable players could become something special. Shack could become another tony Shaw with better skills and pace. Mccough, lots has already been said about his potential. I think maybe Lokan for #4.

Anther possibility is woey traded for a very high - like top 5 - pick or 2. I know that's a trade, not a delisting, but it would mean one less delisting needed. Might be appealling for eg Carlton, dogs or tiges with their priority picks and need for a classy solid midfielder.

I wouldn't want to have to make the decision.
Presti_is_god 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:26 pm

Joel,

why would Rowe a 1st year player come under the microscope???

Williams
Kinnear
McKee
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:12 pm

Williams
Kinnear
Lokan
Nixon
*Mullins
*Shackleton
*Crow

*=Hopefuly not, 50/50.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:06 am

Oh yes I forgot Travis Cloke, who will absorb another delisting - our second round pick I believe.
That means a fourth delisting is needed if we are to use our first round pick.
Presti_is_god 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:05 pm

Trav Cloke will be taken in teh 3rd round. and we dont need to delist extra palyers to take him. all we need is the 3 and we can take 3 draftees.
chalky 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:15 pm

Some hard decisions will be/have to be made on delisting. The staff will have already established what is needed for next yr and who will be part of that structure. There is no doubt that the midfield will come under the microscope hence the rapid changes there lately. The youngsters, even with limited game time, have already been labled - those that have a role next yr and those that don't. Collingwood put faith in the current group to improve the required 10% and take the next step. This group of players, as a list, proved frigile and so will not take us to a GF. An injection of enthusiasm, class, speed etc is sorely needed. The experiment with the "wide bodied midfielder" is over. Getting the ball has never been a problem, diposal has. Sure injuries, suspensions, blah blah, blah. A lack of depth beat us this season. This must be covered. Experience must be brought back into the club. Truely, we have enough under 20s to open our own school! There will be at least 8 delisting with a few surprises.
Kinnear, Williams, McG, shackelton, Mullins, O'B, McKee, swan -- perhaps Lonie, Leon, R. Shaw, Walker, even Pestigiacomo or Wakelin as trade bait. We have to move on. The current list can't do it.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:24 pm

I thought Rowe was in his second year. Didn't he play in a senior game this year?

I'm not saying he should go, I'm just saying he might come under the microscope. Even if he is a first year, you don't keep players just because they have only played one season.
Daks Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:43 pm

Joel wrote:
I thought Rowe was in his second year. Didn't he play in a senior game this year?

I'm not saying he should go, I'm just saying he might come under the microscope. Even if he is a first year, you don't keep players just because they have only played one season.

He played his first game this year... round 15 was it? He wasn't on our list last year.. we picked him up in last years draft. We did have a Jason Roe last year...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:12 pm

Hmmm. MMs (usual) policy of not playing players in their first year must have thrown me off.

Btw, here is this year's list.

Nathan Buckley
Scott Burns
James Clement
Cameron Cloke
Jason Cloke
Richard Cole
Tom Davidson
Leon Davis
Alan Didak
Josh Fraser
Brent Hall
Brodie Holland
Ben Johnson
David D. King
Ben Kinnear - Trade\Delist (pay him out)
Paul Licuria
Tarkyn Lockyer
Matthew Lokan - Will come under the microscope
Ryan Lonie - May have trade value, but I want to keep atm.
Mark McGough - Will come under the microscope
Steven McKee - Will come under the microscope
Billy Morrison
Luke Mullins - Will come under the microscope
Bo Nixon - Will come under the microscope
Shane O'Bree - Will come under the microscope
Simon Prestigiacomo
Guy Richards
Anthony Rocca
Julian Rowe
Luke Shackleton - Will come under the microscope
Brayden Shaw
Heath Shaw
Rhyce Shaw - Will come under the microscope
Dane Swan - Will come under the microscope
Chris Tarrant
Shane Wakelin
Tristen Walker
Andrew Williams - Trade/Delist
Shane Woewodin

Dean Benson
Justin Crow
David Fanning
Zane Leonard
Nick Maxwell
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:25 am

Presti_is_god wrote:
Trav Cloke will be taken in teh 3rd round. and we dont need to delist extra palyers to take him. all we need is the 3 and we can take 3 draftees.

What about elevating Maxwell and Crow? Doesn't that use up 2 delistings?
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:08 am

The problem is, most of the usural suspects have come up (McKee, Williams, Lokan, BK etc). If we want to get somewhere, we may need to get rid of someone with real trade value.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:26 am

But this is the delisting thread mate.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:23 pm

True, but we should try and get something for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: