Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:07 am
Post subject: Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?Reply with quote

The Leigh Brown role hasn't worked since Leigh Brown left, the difference between Brown-Dawes and Lynch is Brown could play KB and often did, he gave us genuine versatility and was very hard to match up on, if he was beaten Fwd we would send him back etc etc, he was also better at ground lvl , also, did our 2010-2011 game plan-style suit the LB role more than 2012-2013?

2012-2013 we've played a KF (Dawes-Lynch) as our no2 ruckman, both these guys have been next to useless as a KF since taking over the role and they aren't giving opposing ruckmen many headaches, the better teams in the comp have gone back to 2 genuine ruckmen, is it time we did the same?

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Always better to plan around the troops you have, not try and shoe horn someone into a role that was played by someone else.

I'm sure North would love someone to play the Wayne Carey role too.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 am
Post subject: Re: Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
The Leigh Brown role hasn't worked since Leigh Brown left, the difference between Brown-Dawes and Lynch is Brown could play KB and often did, he gave us genuine versatility and was very hard to match up on, if he was beaten Fwd we would send him back etc etc, he was also better at ground lvl , also, did our 2010-2011 game plan-style suit the LB role more than 2012-2013?

2012-2013 we've played a KF (Dawes-Lynch) as our no2 ruckman, both these guys have been next to useless as a KF since taking over the role and they aren't giving opposing ruckmen many headaches, the better teams in the comp have gone back to 2 genuine ruckmen, is it time we did the same?

You obviously didn't see the Carlton game Defender. Or am I just missing your point somehow? I think Lynch is doing a fantastic job and our losses would have possibly been far greater if not for him,so I have to disagree with you here.
What I would prefer to see is Lynch in the goal square and Cloke at CHF in a more permanent role and ,as he is having the horrors trying to kick goals,and see if the Q stick can address this problem we have.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am
Post subject: Re: Do we need to reevaluate the Leigh Brown role?Reply with quote

mudlark wrote:
Defender wrote:

You obviously didn't see the Carlton game Defender. Or am I just missing your point somehow? I think Lynch is doing a fantastic job and our losses would have possibly been far greater if not for him,so I have to disagree with you here.
What I would prefer to see is Lynch in the goal square and Cloke at CHF in a more permanent role and ,as he is having the horrors trying to kick goals,and see if the Q stick can address this problem we have.

Lynch tried hard during the Carlton game but was dead on his feet come 3 qtr time, if we played 2 rucks + Lynch and Cloke we would've been much better off during that game.

You like this.
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 am

The 'Leigh Brown Role' hasn't worked in 2012-13 because we haven't had 2 tall key position forwards playing together.

In 2010-11 it was Cloke & Dawes with Brown floating forward or back. Since then it has been Cloke on his own with either Dawes, now Lynch floating between forward/ruck.

If we expect Lynch to be the Leigh Brown of 2013, we need another key position forward. Could Paine be that person? Goldsack certainly isn't.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 am

Ev5Magpies wrote:
The 'Leigh Brown Role' hasn't worked in 2012-13 because we haven't had 2 tall key position forwards playing together.

In 2010-11 it was Cloke & Dawes with Brown floating forward or back. Since then it has been Cloke on his own with either Dawes, now Lynch floating between forward/ruck.

If we expect Lynch to be the Leigh Brown of 2013, we need another key position forward. Could Paine be that person? Goldsack certainly isn't.

Why not play Jolly and Hudson/Witts and keep Lynch as a perm FWD?

You like this.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 pm

^ That (2 rucks plus 1 backup) hasn't worked for Carlton or Essendon this year and years gone by.

I don't really think it worked for us too well against St Kilda.

I personally don't think it's a viable option.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:10 pm

Defender wrote:
Ev5Magpies wrote:

Why not play Jolly and Hudson/Witts and keep Lynch as a perm FWD?

Yep, Jolly & Witts in for me too.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Good question, Defender.

I tend to agree with mudlark's comments, although as Ev5 just said, we haven't really played the 3-tall forward line. We did briefly against the 'Aints, more to give Witts some game time than because it was Buckley's game plan, I think.

One of the changes Buckley has made structurally (for better or worse) was that he didn't like a "2 KPFs plus the Leigh Brown player" forward line. My early expectation when the interest in Lynch was first announced was that he was going to be played with Cloke and Dawes. Dawes sought clarification from Buckley and, as best one can tell from the various comments made by the player, his agent and the coach shortly after the Dawes/Buckley meeting, it seems that Buckley probably told Dawes that the preferred forward structure was Cloke plus the resting ruckman, a lead-up target (Goldsack, perhaps) and some smalls, so that - barring injury to Cloke - there would be room for either Dawes or Lynch but not both. Hence, Dawes' quick exit.

I don't think that 2-tall structure worked very efficiently last year or this. Of course, it's hard to say whether Dawes' poor forward return in 2012 was because of the reduced help for him created by that new structure or just because he went backwards. Just as it's hard to say whether the reason Lynch has hardly troubled the scorers this year is because of that structure or because he is just getting old (he was, of course, as potent a goal-kicker as Travis at one time, much earlier in his career).

I think the forward structure is presently leading to a lot of hopeless marking contests in the forward line. Typically, if Cloke or Lynch is not available as a target, the last kick into F50 is directed to a very short lead up (at best) target. On Saturday night, eg, that was typically Krak, Blair or Elliott up against a taller opponent. Once again, because the available player personnel is thin at the moment, I don't know whether that aspect of the game plan needs to be corrected by the addition of a third genuine tall or whether the lead-up targets will be less of a mis-match when the preferred forward line players are on the park. I do know that I find it very frustrating to watch.

One thing is certain, though. Leigh Brown's quality and versatility were greatly under-rated. There aren't too many 200+ game 2nd ruckmen to be taken as a late draft pick who can kick 4 or 5 goals from CHF on a good day, take Jonathan Brown (when he used to be able to play football) to the cleaners at CHB, run down and catch a Footscray mid-field star in a final and then physically terrorise the St Vomit back-line in a Grand Final. It's not that Brown could do one thing brilliantly. It's rather that he could do a whole lot of things to at least "good ordinary" standard. The problem with filling his "role" is that it takes a very special tall, strong athlete to do it. There isn't really a Leigh Brown type on the Collingwood list. There are plenty of players who can do better than Leigh one or two of the things he could do but I can't think of anyone who can do them all.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

I know it's still early times, but if a player like Jackson Paine could be fast tracked we'd be a more dangerous side.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:31 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
I know it's still early times, but if a player like Jackson Paine could be fast tracked we'd be a more dangerous side.
The problem is that the difference between his good and bad is too extreme, at the moment: he doesn't even look VFL standard at times (of course he's better than that) and I think he just needs more time.
Papie Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:48 pm

I think the Lynch Role would work better if we had a third viable target for the forward line. At present if Jolly is resting forward teams zone off as his lost his mobility and not a real threat anymore. This makes it hard for Cloke as he has 2 defenders at least. If we has another target, Paine maybe this would mean the forward line wouldn't struggle as much when Lynch is in the ruck.

Although at present he doesn't seem to be producing much up forward, his better games have been in the ruck which is a worry

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
The problem is that the difference between his good and bad is too extreme, at the moment: he doesn't even look VFL standard at times (of course he's better than that) and I think he just needs more time.

That's why I say 'fast tracked' - We really can't expect too much from a teenager who's played what half a dozen games!?!? Still, it's someone 'like' him that our forward line is missing IMHO. A permanent athletic tall who can take a mark, kick a goal & make a tackle. That provides the luxury of 'resting' a Lynch/Jolly forward or slotting them a kick back even. [Not to mention taking some focus off Cloke!]

Last edited by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR on Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Papie Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Totally agree LoneStar, we r lacking another target. ANother option will also bring the smaller guys into play more!!!!

Only concern is lack of leg speed a tall option will bring as having THE KRAK in the forward line really slows it down

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Don't agree. Bucks tried it against the Saints with Jolly and Witts and we looked slow. Maybe now with the sub and 1 less on the bench we need the extra runner that is why Bucks has tried to combine the 2nd ruck forward role.

May possibly work if we play Paine as the 3rd marking tall in the forward line but ideally we would like to turn Paine into a ruck rover type where we could go on the ball if we needed some extra running power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: