Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NCP Feature - Cannibal Analyses CFC's Draft 2004 Strategy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:26 pm
Post subject: NCP Feature - Cannibal Analyses CFC's Draft 2004 StrategyReply with quote

Cannibal has been nice enough to write an analysis of the CFC Draft Strategy.

He felt it was a little to long as a normal post, so it has been uploaded on to Nick's Collingwood Page as a feature article.

http://nick.magpies.net/article/artcle.php?subaction=showfull&id=1091281809

Here is a little exerpt:

Quote:
I have reviewed our drafting and trading performances to assess our strategies. We have traded for/drafted 17 experienced players from other clubs during this period, of which only seven remain with the club and just five are first choice senior players. This equates to a “success rate” of just 29%. On the other hand, we have drafted (or elevated from the rookie list) 32 kids, of whom 27 remain on our list. Only 15 of these have played more than 6 games but 13 are now first choice senior players for a success rate of 87%. And the two who have not yet established themselves as first choice senior players – Swan, Walker – look very likely to do so which will make it 100%.

Great read guys. Feel free to post your opinions in regard to Cannibal's views.
labrooy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting article. I think you'll find that the reason we didn't pursue Brown too strongly was the belief that Nick Stevens was in the bag and we couldn't afford both players. I think this year has shown all and sundry that Brown was probably the better option all along.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 pm

I think you could be right labrooy.
Mick's My Favourite 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:13 pm

we should definately keep our first draft choice this year. Nuture a player along just like Bo Nixon.
Harvey 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:31 pm

Great artical cannibal. however i have to disagree with you about presti/wakelin. presti is 193cm has good pace and does the job everyweek it would be foolhardy to delist him as none of our younger players eg. walker or crow can step into his shoes right now. the same is with wakelin, he provides very good experience down back and it would be much better to give him one more season while walker learns the game. also i would consider packaging obree and our second round pick for a good quality player as it would be a waste to let obree go for nothing. and from what i heard this yrs draft doesn't look very promising
Warbler 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:30 am

Almost completely agree - except for Presti/Wakelin . Presti is MR RELIABLE and Wakelin is still playing great footy with only his age against him - if it aint broke don't fix it .
Youth is certainly the way to go .
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:43 am

Well odne Cannibal. Very well written. You make some interesting points, I think if we get rid of McKee we will find ourselves in hot water. If we are ravaged by injury again next season, what do we fall back on? If what happened this year occured next year without McKee we'd have Fraser and Crow. Thats why we need to feed Crow with a heap of experiance now so we are prepared for next season.
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:00 am

interesting article (nicely done cannibal) - as some others have said, not convinced delisting/trading wakelin or presti is the right move however our backline is of some concern. wakelin has (i think) a contract to run to the end of 2005, by which time he will be 31 and likely to retire. presti and clement will then be closing in on 30 and the remaining current backline young and talented but small. watching j.cloke struggle with the height and strength of richo on the w/end was worrying when thinking forward 2-4 years. agree we will have to throw a couple of excellent regulars to get a player of the ilk of judd but it could be worth it. when judd comes out of contract for season 2006, he will still only be 22. hard to believe we could offer a package west coast would accept however we do have a number of WA boys on our list which could prove handy in any deal. re this year's draft - we will likely finish 10th - 12th, which would normally mean our first pick, at the earliest, would be 5th. however this year hawthorn, richmond and bulldogs will all likely receive a priority pick meaning the first 6 picks are snapped up already. therefore, if we finish 10th, our first pick would be at 10, which to my mind is disappointing. no one wants to have a season like we've had but the 'reward' is usually a top 5 choice. still, while im not in agreement with the experts, if we're to believe the prospective draft, t.cloke would have gone top 10 so we will snag two top 10 draftees to take into 2005 and beyond.
Cannibal 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:09 pm

ramjet, thanks for making the comment on Jason Cloke's height; that is exactly what I am concerned about.

What we need is first of all, Walker to shift back into the backline where he has been playing all year at Willi, then secondly, Justin Crow to step up and get some game time in the seniors. The reason is that we are playing medium/tall guys - Cloke, Presti & Wakes - on the opposition's really tall guys, so we always seem to be struggling to contain them, just as you pointed out with Cloke vs Richo. Once we have these two truly tall defenders established in the seniors, then we will be a much better side for it.

However, the delisting issue probably won't now come to pass this year. Since Walker is pinch-hitting on the forward line and Crow is yet to play a game, we will need both Presti and Wakes for next year. In fairness, I must point out that I suggested considering the delisting ONLY if both Tex and Crow stepped up, but that hasn't happened. Yet.

Personally, I think it is only a matter of time before they do step up. By the end of next season, we will have an awful lot of depth in the backline and the delisting issue will have to be tackled then.

droche 2004 Capricorn

Buckley My Pussy (cat)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:20 pm

I just read it today, Give this man a job, Good effort.

You put a great deal of though into this. Should print it off and send it to Mick.

He did say that for him to read something, make sure you put your name on it or he wont bother.

Good work alot of thought.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:34 pm

I still believe we should keep McKee. He may seem useless at times but he could get very handy if things get tight. But would he want to stay as a 4th stringer?
droche 2004 Capricorn

Buckley My Pussy (cat)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:38 pm

only if he costs us not much at all and can help the kids, then i agree.

Thats if he wants to be 4th in line.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:02 am

Yeah, Cannibal put in a fair effort for this one. Thanks gain Cannibal.

If ya want a voluntary unpaid job writing analytical articles of this type of Nick's Collingwood Page, give me a yell.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:52 am

Do people consider Tex Walker as much of a ruckman? If he can prove himself there, he may topple McKee.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:12 am

Good stuff cannibal m8, only just had the time to read it.
"My firm conclusion is that we should not deviate from our long-term strategy of drafting kids to continue improving our list, and therefore future Premiership prospects."

youth is the long term answer, not just for flags but for long term club strength, with the right recruiting policies, and I'd point out that MM likes to have a full list of rookies, unlike a lot of clubs who don't to save a buck, you have a greater chance of unearthing the "Judd's" and "hirds" of the competition, whilst they are good players and valuable on the football field, it's their trade value that puts their clubs in a position of power, look at the constant interest in what Judd is going to do and you can imagine the offers they WCE have had laid in front of them.
If you have a look at Ben Johnson, 2 years ago he was considered a de-listing prospect by allot of people on this board, only to have taken the right steps and now I'd dare say his worth to the club trade wise would be considerable.

J26, I can't see him as a ruckman, he has a great leap and a huge frame, but I just don't think of him as ruck. I would like to see him played at CHF more, if he had some crumbers around him against bitchmond we could have buried them, he hits the packs hard, has a great handball and would be a handful for a defender, when he grows up. It would also free up Anthony to ruck a bit more.
I reckon we keep him.

thnx and well done Cannibal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: