Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie McGuire-You are on notice.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is brilliant. How many president's from other clubs are out there communicating with the regulars.
This is my first year as a social club member because I wanted to be a little more involved than just a season ticket holder. I absolutley feel proud and rapt when i tell friends and workmates that I am a Collingwood member and social club member. And I think this has rubbed off on a couple of work colleagues who have ran off and bought their own social club membership etc.
I must admit I had no problems at all getting my seat allocation, ticket and medallion because I got mine in November last year. That would be my recommendation, don't wait and see how we are going, get on board early and then become a recruiter like I did.
On that Eddie my only recommendation would be to have more incentive to get people to recruit new members. Maybe a discount on membership costs or something like that.

Cheers.

The future is black and white.

Go Pies!!
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 12:52 pm

Scottie-davo...Graeme Allan made those comments about 2 more years worth of pain...Other then Francis and Russly he did not recruit much else to Collingwood that made some kind of impact.
I agree wholheartedly with that comment... He is with Leigh up in Brisbane recruiting the likes of Mal Michael.....whoopee...

Louis

mike b 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 3:37 pm

Good work, President Eddie. Nice to see you close to your constituents. There is no question about the work you put into the club and I'm comfortable it is in good hands - at both administration and coaching level.

On the assumption you are still reading posts on membership, I have a question. I have been a Social Club member for 18 years and while I am happy to essentially donate this money to the club (because it makes me feel like I'm part of it), I would have to say it is one of the worst value subscriptions around. There is no football value in it and unfortunately, the Club itself is no great place to visit for entertainment. It's dead. Is there any likely new direction in terms of making the Social Club more attractive for current and potential members?

A thought; this membership must currently generate a high margin because it would cost almost nothing to service. However, I can't help thinking that either through extra incentives (possibly discounts) for Collingwood activities or some in-built bonuses (such as member nights, real discounts in the Collingwood shop, free membership to the $25 on-line newsletter, etc.), the club would suffer a little margin loss but substantially increase membership and turnover - you might even get a price increase if the value is there.

Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 5:40 pm

Although I said Eddie is not the saviour, I still admire him for his success. In my view, Eddie has brought the club two major attributes. He has been able to market the club very well, and he has used his contacts (he has more contacts than OPSM) to aid the club.
However the Collingwood family has to change their culture if it want's to succeed. Instant gratification of a president, player or coach is a common trait of Collingwood people, and it is hindering our progress.
I'm happy with the way the club is progressing under Mr McGuire, but this doesn't mean I'm totally happy with some of the things that happened at the club.
This issue has highlighted how the Club has to attract more members to raise revenue. A major stumbling block for Collingwood (more so than any other club)is that we have direct competition in the membership stakes.
The AFL and MCC memberships offer far greater value than the Collingwood option. We play a majority of games at the MCG and this is were the AFL and MCC memberships dominate for value for money.
If we are to climb to 40,000 members we will have to entice the MCC and AFL members to Collingwood. The other way to increase our membership is if we start winning games and finals. Make no mistake, a successful side means bums on seats, and memberships to boot
I myself have been a AFL full member since 1991. In this time I have never considered joining Collingwood as a member because it doesn't make any economical sense to. This may sound like being disloyal to Collingwood, but I feel my families (my Great Grandfather is Syd Coventry) contribution to Collingwood allows me this choice. Even my Grandfather who is a social club member (119) says that he only buys it each year to keep in a very small way, the Coventry name at Collingwood.
If Collingwood are to attract more members away from the AFL, they have to provide better value and service than the AFL option.
It is all very well highlighting the problem, but finding a solution is the problem. In my opinion, there are a lot of AFL members who aren't happy with their package. The poor treatment of AFL members at Colonial Stadium and during the last two weeks of the finals have lead to a growing questioning of the memberships real value.
If Collingwood can offer a better package in terms of value, and customer service levels, they are half-way there. The Northern stand will help, but it is a long way off.

P.S. I can't have anything against Eddie's alma mata because skevs have nothing to do with CBC St Kilda.

Go St Kevin's College Old Boys

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2001 8:12 pm

RCT,

One big advantage the Collingwood Social Club has over the AFL or the MCC in attracting NEW memberships is that there is not a 500 year waiting list.

It has also become apparent in the last couple of years that those once-prized memberships (MCC and AFL) are gradually being devalued by things like the Medallion Club and other corporate memberships.

The day will come when you'll need to be a club or league sponsor to get a seat at a game. The rest of us will have pay TV.

**floreat pica**

Swanny21 Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:55 am

Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 8:43 am

good points Mike b

i think this club has to many extras to pay for now being a member of 3 other AFL clubs i can tell u that although the social side of Collingwood is good (like as far as the large supporter bond goes) there is always that something extra to pay for here. Now its good that Collingwood organises a wide range of social events but it can often be up to about 6 things a year at around a hundred bucks each sometimes....Black n white ball, Copeland Trophy, then the fashion parades, players reviews etc etc so Eddie i hope its true that u r gonna make these a bit cheaper so we can go to all of them instead of just some. Plus I wanna know......is the players review on again this year because that was heaps good last year? also i think social club shoulda get a bit more than they do like its good getting club shop discounts but yeh some other stuff like maybe free cheersquad membership or free subscription to the sportsview offficial site....So that is what Spidey thinks anyway

[This message has been edited by Spidergirl (edited 24 March 2001).]

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:03 pm

A solution, Mr. (present) President, re the personnel shortage to accommodate membership-inquiries, renewals, etc.

How about hiring some interns to staff the membership-phones?

And while the U.S. gave us Martin Sheen in "The West Wing" how about McGuire Media starting its own TV Show called "The McHale Wing", with all the drama, tension, humor and ecstasy involved in running the Collingwood Football Club. Colin Friels could play the President.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sly.
The Last Remaining Bad Guy.

The Collingwood Rant.
http://www.magpies.net/rant/

The Unofficial AFL Ranting Board.
http://www.elevenoclock.com/forums/aflranting/
-------------------------------------------------------------

------------------
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 4:41 pm

LOL @ Sly, funny!

AlfAndrews 

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:02 pm

piesPremiers2001,

Very good post ... and I couldn't agree more. But it's a pity you posted it in this old out-of-date thread originally started by Scottie Davo on one of his not-so-happy days.

Having said that, I suppose I'm making it even worse by posting this.

I don't think any Collingwood supporter with any real passion for The Club would say that Eddie is "on notice" these days. He's certainly won this old sceptic over ... and I can tell you I'm hard to please.

Here's to many more joyous celebrations with our President. And may Eddie continue to get up the noses of people like Mike Sheahan and the AFL by continuing to be one of us.

**floreat pica**

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: