Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie McGuire-You are on notice.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:20 am
Post subject: Eddie McGuire-You are on notice.Reply with quote

Memo-Club President. Collingwood Football Club.

Dear Eddie,

I would like to outline to you a very simple problem that has occurred with this club which should send a shudder down your spine.

Last Friday, at approximately 11am (16/3/2001), I called the Club (03 9419 9222) to buy both season and social memberships for this year. I was calling from a mobile in Sydney where I live.

I received an automated voice asking me to press the number for the relevant request that I had, in this case it was for membership so I pressed #1.

I was transferred to a voicemail of a female who requested I give my name number etc. and she will call me back.

Being far from impressed at the fact that the club does not have the resources to sign me up there and then, I waited for the return phone call.

Guess what Eddie, I am still waiting for the damn call.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

I called again today and I asked the girl who answered about membership, she transferred me to a male's voicemail (David) and so again I left my details advising no call back today and the request for membership for 2001 will be withdrawn.

What am I to do?

YOU are the President of this great club. YOU are answerable to it's members (attempted members aswell), and it is simply not good enough that a club that is screaming for membership numbers cannot take a phone call and organise exactly this when it needs it most.

This is amateurish Eddie. It is substandard of any company let alone the greatest football club in the country.

If a customer cannot gain access to a company's products, the consumer goes elsewhere- someone is to blame, and someone needs to go.

Reform the process immediately, or I will hold you personally reponsible for the demise of this club and if we fall down the membership ladder.

This isn't rocket science.

I will not lose my voice and die for a club whose management are incompetent and do not listen to it's members/supporters.

Read the previous messages about the difficulties occurring aout requests for renewal/membership Eddie, I won't accept the 'it's busy at this time of the year' tripe. Of course it is bloody busy, the season is about to start. You don't see Hoyts cinema staff stating, 'sorry but we'll get back to you as we did not expect a rush on tickets sales although the movie starts in ten minutes'.
You adjust your resources accordingly.

Fix it, or lose a member.

In my blood...
ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should have rung the footy show last thursday,they were all there then.

Juzzy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 12:29 pm

why does this not surprise me?
is it any wonder were've been where've been on the ladder the last half a decade?

How can i feel so much love for one thing (Collingwood) but feel so much hate for another (Carlton)

the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:10 pm

Memo Scottie Davo.
This is the second time that I've tried to reply to your post so if you've got the first one forget about this.
Scottie a reminder that we are the Collingwood football club not BHP.
We employ seven people between January and May full time in the membership area of the football club. To this point they have received, processed and returned over 25,000 memberships. Work that out 7 into 25,000.
My last post was alot more sympathetic but as I'm running out of time before having to fly to Shepparton for another night of Collingwood on the road which has seen country membership increase from 70 odd to over 600 I'll get to the point.
Our staff are flat out doing a great job. The club will not over employ because unlike others we work to a strict budget so that after you give me the flick, by the way you have to be a member to get a vote, there will be at least a financial base for the next person coming along to keep Collingwood from returning to near extinction.
Now Scottie my friend. Anthony Trainor my membership man has just told me that staff returned you call this afternoon. Not bad service if you ask me. I'll be very keen to see when your membership hits my desk.
By the way if you were an existing member you would have received your renewel notice before Christmas. What's wrong with you? your a bit slow off the mark.
You would have also seen that you could have used our 1 800 467 437 number where you could have spoken to a customer service officer or used your mobile phone from Sydney to enter the relevent details automatically.
You could have also instead of posting smartarse notices to me logged onto the Collingwood official website at www.collingwoodfc.com.au and bought any package you liked at your leisure.
In doing so you would have had immediate satisfaction and saved the club time, money and grief.
Collingwood is a small to medium sized business not a massive conglomerate.
We are a club. We all have to go the extra yard. If that means waiting a couple of days for someone at the club to get back to you is that such a bad thing. If that means taking a forward step and helping the club by asking how best can i organise myself to get my membership in early or by the most convenient means for the club then that is not too hard a thing.
our membership department, that is your and mine because we are all but members of our great club work in the busy season, that is now up to seven days a week 18 hours a day. They have to fight with ticketmaster and try to work out Colonial stadium.
Of our 30,000 members we have people who want to sit with each other, who need specific medical assistance, wheel chair access, you name it we've got it and for most we offer great service.
yes there will be mistakes and yes there will be times when things slip through the cracks. I wonder if some people apply the same amount of scrutiny to their own lives.
So scottie why don't you take a leaf out of my three month old sons book and buy a 10 year Magpie Millennium pacgage and you won't have a problem till 2011.
Until then your on notice in the future. put yourself out for the club by returning you remittance before Christmas or by using one of the many convenient ways of doing business with our club.
If it's a comforting voice on the end of the phone your after try one of those 0055 numbers that Channel nine advertise after midnight.
The President.

P.S. The membership staff will also be in Shepperaton tonight before driving back to Melbourne first thing in the morning. If you want join us there tonight. we all have other things in our life but some when they are asked put the club first.
it's a wonderful thing to do something for the jumper.

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:41 pm

that scottie davo is called 'being put back in place'

magpie24 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 2:28 pm

Scottie and Juzz.My brother is as disorganized as yous to.He leaves it to the last minute ,then he rings up on the tuesday(credit card no) before the Ansett cup starts(yep the ansett) and for the last two years he has been walking into the ground on the Friday with his membership.

BUT THATS LIFE

Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 3:33 pm

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the response, my girlfriend was reading it over my shoulder and slapped me for being too harsh in my initial post.

Still, your response is appreciated considering the time constraints you have-so I tip my hat to you for that.

It is refreshing to know you are as accessible as you can reasonably hope.

Still, I don't really believe I needed to know the ins and outs of the membership division of the Club.

Was this an excuse or a reason? You see, I cannot fathom the efforts your staff go to in harnessing as many memberships as possible. I applaud those efforts.

What does concern me Mr President is that the Club, in order to reach 40,000 people, will predominantly need NEW members to achieve this. Yes? So...the points raised about early remittance and that those seeking to join should get off their own backsides and find out how doesn't sit well.

My post Mr President highlighted a very simple point. I called the Club on the Telstra given number, and failed to get a response in four days, and so I called again to request something I would have thought the Club would have bent over backwards to secure up front.

It is true that I was called back about an hour after my post was made. That's fine. Maybe Friday's call did slip through the crack. That's cool.

If you want some feedback on improving the Club, maybe highlighting to potential members that call the Club (which it must be conceded would predominantly think of calling first) that time delays are imminent, the expected waiting times in delivery (note the delays other members have experienced around these posts) and merely advise on these voicemail's a timeframe for a response.

That is all. Yep-it annoyed me to know I couldn't get through to join right away, or that I could have simply been advised to call the 1800 number (which I wasn't advised of).

That's not being a smart arse Eddie, it's raising a valid point. It's unfortunate you felt scrutinised, but any point whereby someone is pissed off about the operation of the Club, whether you deem it to have merit or not, is hardly a waste of time and money and a cause of grief. That's disappointing.

My whole point is that where there is smoke there is fire, amd for every customer that airs a concern, there are 20 that have the same gripe but do not let it be knoen. that's the first lesson I learnt in my time in management.

I looked back at my post and the passion is there, I was rude as well-sorry about that and fair enough, my girlie got in my ear for that.

I'll leave it at that. Thanks for responding again.

Bye the way, can't make it to Shepparton, it's seven hours away, still, anything in the Harbour city that promotes the Club, you know where I live.

P.S.

Receipt-000157000948. I got your point. Now I have to call 0055...

In my blood...
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 6:15 pm

This is great bloody reading. Kudos to Eddie for making himself accessable to the rumblings of a disgruntled supporter. But I'am with Scottie-Davo on this one. I guess the old adage that the 'customer is always right' went out a long time ago.
Hurts to read Eddie's comment regarding Scottie's inability to save Collingwood Money/Time/Grief. A dissatisfied member bringing a legitimate grief to light. Geez Eddie dont mean to sound too harsh by way of offending you (or my club)or anything but a silly little passion for this club has only ever cost the average supporter Money/Time/Grief over the last few seasons.We pay our memberships(money) go to the games to keep those record attendances kicking over(time) and grief, well i wont even go there. I guess we have seen this club mismanaged enough from a distance and hope this is no longer the case, thats all. As passionate as you are Eddie clear for all too see, come to the footy with me one day and you will realise ur not the only one who bleeds black and white.

Louis

Louis

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 6:20 pm

An 'embracing' sense-of-belonging atmosphere...the secret in my opinion to capturing a really 'die-hard' support base.

I live in South Australia in the Flinder's Ranges and I've seen the difference between Port Power and The Crows. The Crows are all business. If you want them to send a player up to a special school/community function you have to go through business managers and pay bigtime for it...Port Power say no worries, they act like they're family...and guess what?...The people love them for it...Port's support base grows and becomes even more fanatical...Crows?...well you know what they can do, right?...calculated? probably...but it's good business.

If we are special, if we are not just one of the 16, then we should be fresh, modern, and stand out from the pack in all ways...especially in embracing the supporters...making them feel special...making them feel like they are the most important thing in the club...

Make it easy for them...give them more than they expect.
Make them say Wow! not Woe!
Impress them!
Tribal stuff!

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:01 am

Scottie davo

I have read your post several times and i believe that maybe you were a bit over the top i also believe the topic of your post was grossly unfair,i dont want to start a bitch fight so please dont take this the wrong way.But i have been to the clubs inner sanctum a couple of times this year and believe me these people are working there butts off and i have also found them to be extremely helpful a credit to our great club.

I was a little hurt at your negative comments levelled at ed i reckon the guy is bloody fantastic and let me tell you this,he is by far the greatest president ever to be at collingwood.im not a brown noser im just tellin it the way it is.Firstly he takes time out to come onto this board and keep in touch with collingwood supporters.I remember the sense of pride we all had when he first appeared on this board.His reply to Alf concerning magpie jumpers was bloody fantastic.

And i think we all should remember the state of our club prior to ed becomming president,we had no money,no direction,we simply had a club that had lost it's way and to make it worse we were the laughing stock of the competition.For the first time since the mid nineties we have again found pride,we have found direction,and we are not broke, these ingredients just like baking a cake will take time but it's pretty good smellin that cake while it's cookin.

C'mon we are less than two weeks away from the bloody season
lets tell the football world that we are united and on the move
let's tell e'm that this magpie army has been dormant since last august and we are on the march again as one to kick some ass like it has never been kicked before.

There is nothing in life greater, than to be a supporter of our beloved collingwood football club,we must remain united,we must stand tall,we must be prepared to fight for our glorious black and white for we are the ENVY OF ALL NATIONS.
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:23 am

Hi Joffa,

Couldn't agree with you more there mate.

The state of play at this Club has clearly improved and I have always been the first to defend the Club and indeed Eddie against all and sundry up here whenever the need arises.

I did mention mate that I was harsh on my initial post. Fair enough. It is all for the common good.

What I won't stand for though mate is the President of the Club telling me that I cause the Club grief and cost it time and money by highlighting a concern. That was harsh!

I have spent much time and money over the past fifteen years attending Collingwood games both up here and in Melbourne than I care to mention. I faced grief many a time when I turn around to 10,000 Swan supporters every time the 'pies visit and tell them all about this great club-and how their Club pales in comparison. I've copped the jeers from them all at the end of the game when we have been done. That my man, is grief.

Being at the WACA in 1994 to see us come so close in that elimination final, seeing Tony Shaw cry and then being given a send off by those West Coast wannabes and all their inbred supporters...that is grief.

And, one last thing, when I'm on the President's salary, I might buy a ten year membership...in fact, if we compare our earnings, you could say as a ratio between us, I bought an estimate of about 65 years worth last night.

Still love ya anyway Eddie, you have done more than anyone else for the Club in my memory for hte 'pies and I will still be the first to defend-and promote you whenever necessary.

Cheers.

See you guys down at ther MCG for the opener, the girlfriend has no idea what to expect...she's a lawyer...she might be able to help me!

In my blood...
the president Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:32 am

Dear scottie, this debate is a bit like blueing with my wife, i know she's got a point, i know i love her but i can't stop from biting!!
I acknowledge and take on board all that has been said. Basically two years ago the clubs database was non existant and believe me brother we have a long way to go.
The club vice president Brad Cooper with no fanfare donated over $100,000 18 months ago to get the system up to tin can and string level and we will be moving forward. You are right in what you say and i appologise if i overreacted but it is the single most annoying part of the club for these reasons.
It pisses off the most important people, those who put their money where there mouth is, in most cases it is the only real contact with the club so members think "what is it with these hillbillies?" and it is also the most overworked and overstretched area of the club.
We are currently looking at a number of options. I have found that there is mostly a 12-24 month lag time in trying to make changes in football because there simply isn't the cash reserves at present to fix problems immediately. The problem has to be found, remedied and then the money has to come from somewhere, but we are making in roads.
Basically my reply was to say please don't look at me or the board as a bunch of suits acting like the federal government. We are all mad passionate supporters trying to support what is now a great backroom team at Collingwood.
You would pleased to know that we are now getting so many people applying for jobs at Collingwood because it is perceived to be the best in a number of areas.
We all know the area that we want to be best at most and that's footy.
The problem with these replys is that you can't convey facial exporessions and tones of voice. The line about the 0055 numbers was written with tongue in cheek not as a put down which i think you have taken in the manner it was hoped it would be received.
In the meantime i hope everyone continues to enjoy the club and feel free to leave messages.
But if you have a gripe, have a think about a solution as well. My motto whether at Collingwood or in business is the Chairman is the person with the best idea at that moment.

Go Pies...The President.

Scottie Davo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 8:24 am

Christ I love this Club

And damn it Eddie McGuire, you just made me love it more. I didn't think that was possible.

Thanks for your time.

I swear I'm not going to cry...

Go you Magpies...

and LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT!

(now where's that number with the comforting voice gone...)

In my blood...
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:08 am

Eddie to the rescue!!..Great save by the President, keep the masses happy....

Louis

Black_White 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:26 pm

This debate brings a tear to my eye.
Only Collingwood people know the depth of feeling that the Black and White inspire in our hearts.
Keep up the good work Prez, you have our support and loyalty. And yes, we know that ultimate success will take time, but WE ARE COLLINGWOOD!
Only we can understand that.
-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: