Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Merlin - Knock yourselves out guys!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eunos 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:29 pm
Post subject: Merlin - Knock yourselves out guys!Reply with quote

For serious replies.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Eunos, I was actually about to split those replies off, but seeing as though this is here now, I won't bother.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:01 pm

wat a tosser, thats not the place for his political view, kids went there to see BB, not his crap Rolling Eyes
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:02 pm

Have no objection at all to his cause and to him highlighting it, considering his alleged refugee background.

DO question his judgement in going about it in the way that he did. It ended up being more a case of highlighting himself, and his lack of maturity, rather than the cause he was wishing to promote.

By not taking the opportunity to speak, he blew away a lot of credibility. By making a public jerk of himself, he served more to reinforce the negative impressions (esp of instablilty) created whilst inside the BB house.

CQ is correct in questioning whether a BB eviction is an appropriate stage for making such a statement. I'm somewhat in agreement but I would have been accepting if he had articulated his message in a sensible manner. He failed to do so and did himself and the worthwhile cause he claims to support no favours.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:38 pm

well who pays 80 bucks for a ticket to see him sit there like a fk wit for 10 mins pfft!

i wouldnt actually go if they paid me but for people who did it would have been very disappointing!
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:28 am

"FREE THE REFUGEES"?

Surely he is saying "FREE THE ASYLUM SEEKERS" as Refugees would already be free.

Get it right before you protest in front of 20m people you tosser!

Or does he think that all people who try and get into our great land are refugees? No no body can be that stupid can they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:18 am

creedymagpie wrote:
No no body can be that stupid can they?

Judging by posts in this and other threads, I reckon they can.
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:09 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but genuine refugees are detained. People who overstay their temporary protection visas are reprocessed and are detained if their claim is unsuccessful. Also asylum seekers who are granted refugee status can be detained for months before being released.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:23 pm

The thing is, people chastise the current system, but don't have alternatives. It's so easy to redicule something without producing alternatives. WHAT IS THE ANSWER?

Merlin said on the follow up show (the night after the eviction), words similar to these, "I'm only promoting the cause, I'm not saying I know what the alternatives are, but I know it is wrong". Well hello!?!? If you are going to come out in support of a cause in such as manner, the least you could do is suggest some alternatives.

BTW, fair enough, kids shouldn't be in there, but would you rather stay with your parents, or be removed from them?
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:27 pm

Totally agree Joel, also agree with what CQ and CW said. With the part on kids, it's the parents choice as to whether they are put into alternative housing and most of them choose not to do this, even though they have visiting rights and can move between establishments. It's difficult to understand because they are in a foreign country and have different cultures, but wouldn't most parents want their kids to be in a better environment than that?

It was mentioned in the other topic of the 350 refugees who drowned in 2001, not to mention all the others we never heard about. Thats part of the reason why I'm more in favour of the Governments tougher policies to deter people smugglers, even though no one likes to see people locked up this way.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:21 pm

I would almost guarantee that he did a deal with the media propagandists that really run our "mediacracy" country- they put him up to it and part of the deal would have been much more of the limelight he obviously craves, media contracts etc, giving back the car would have been planned to augment his fake idealistic image. YOu can see why it is effective since being a "reality" show people think it's more likely to be a real opinion rather than just talking heads saying what they're paid to say. I hope people aren't that gullible.
Amusing that Dr Alf correctly states most Australians believe what the media tells them to believe - since he appears to be one of them!

Tess I sympathize with your suffering bigotry, I had a good friend, great bloke who was visciously bashed on the street just because he is queer. However I doubt that is the reason you have been banned from C'wood sites, might have someting to do with putting lots of very harsh shit on MM, Balmey and others in the club. There's ways to criticize constructively.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:53 pm

Hmm...can I PM him too Tess?
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:25 pm

I usually am for most things, but refugees and all that yada-yada-yada, I'm not!!

People spend heaps of their lives in Australian Citizenship queues, and become a member of our country the right way! Good for them!!!!!

But these 'asylum seekers', or whatever you want to call them, think that they can just wander on in!!! Then they burn and ruin what we give them!

If you dont want it, go back home then!!!!!

I am sick of these people!!!!!! They come in! We stupidly let them! Then they ruin what they are given!!!!!! Hell, it's better then what you already had! Be greatful, will you!!?

And it's not like Im uneducated in this topic. Last year my english teacher spoke about it all year! We did an exam on the book 'Only the Heart' about a Vietnamese Family that sailed into Australia and got Australian Citizenship! I have nothing but respect for those people as they did it the right way!!!!!!

And one more point, I think to become an Australian Citizen you MUST learn English!!!!! Even just have a small course on it!

I hate trying to speak to people who are new Australians and they do not have a clue what you are saying!!! I don't care if we are a multicultural society now!!!!!

People come to my work, look at me stupidly when I say 'Can I help you?' and then point to every single thing on the menu!! They have no idea what Im saying, so to serve them takes 25 minutes!!!!!!

Especially, all the new Australian kids, that come from Oxley College up the road, to my work and just stand there pointing!

Grrrrrrr........ this topic gets me so worked up!!!!!

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:57 pm

" ... think that they can just wander on in!!!"

Lis, If this is what you think happens then you're not educated about this subject at all and the second half of your post has nothing to do with the topic.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:03 am

I know what Im talking about, Donny. I'm just tired, so I better go to bed!!

Trust me... Last year, my English teacher was very passionate about this topic and talked about this, and war, for the whole year!!!!!

I did an issues speech on my opinion of this topic, and I got an A+ even with the teacher completely disagreeing with me, because my points were good...

Anywho, it doesn't matter what I think... coz it'll be taken out of context anyways.. *sigh*

Back to the bored board for me.....

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: