Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Speeding - Dangerous?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is there is no relevance to (your) dear old dad speeding on a country road.
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:56 pm

Thank your lucky stars that you lived to tell the tale.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:16 pm

Speeding's OK if you keep clear of all the other cars - bet that's exactly what all the brain damaged car accident victims on ventilators I have nursed must have been thinking - or would have been IF they could still think!!
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:14 am

its not about being a 'goody goody' and brain washed. im certainly not brain washed and i think their BS 50 zones are crap. funny how we could all stop at 60 before that!
going 40/50ks over is just ridiculous.

as for keeping away from other cars, well if you're on a country road you never know wats gunna happen, take a bend too fast, someone coming the other way hogging over into your lane, kangaroos, the list goes on!
Hanskies Virgo

~~DUNN~~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:25 am

Speeding fullstop is stupid and dangerous, especially at that speed. Limits are set for a reason. whether it be a city road, hiway or country road.

Country roads are very dangerous as CQ mentioned! Living in the country I cannt tell you how many horrific accidents happen on the local roads because of speeding and people thinking its safe becuase no one else is around. The roads generally arent as of good quality, there are tight bends, and you never know when the conditions are going to change!

So if you think speeding on a country road is safe
WAKE UP TO YOURSELF! The TAC do advitise wipe off 5 for a reason!

Dont take life too seriously.....Its not forever
Hanskies» Created by Mum & Dad » Powered by Food And Water ltd. Est 1984.
HANSKIES© 1984-2006. All Rights Reserved.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:20 am

The problem with all those arguments ("i cannot tell you how many have died due to speeding" etc - of course you can't since you don't know the details of the accidents ie what other factors were involved) is that the speeding limit drawn is more or less arbitrary - there's no definitive way of deciding what is a "safe" limit since if you lower the limit more it will always presumably be "safer". The argument is basically that due to the sanctity of human life, you can't argue against speed limits - but this means that you can't argue against *any* speed limit at least down to about 50k - so that means the government by that same argument could impose a 50k limit on ALL roads and freeways, and if Cameron Cloke was to drive at say, the horrendously reckless speed of 90k/hr on the freeway- once again 40k above the new limit and undeniably much more *potentially* dangerous than 50k - and to argue against the 50k limit and for raising it to the unspeakably dangerous limit of say, 95k/hr would be extremely irresponsible and deserve a good talking to by indignant goody goodys such as those lecturing me here.
-who by the way can be counted on to fall obediently in line with any new speed limit or in fact any other arbitrary new safety regulation put in place for the benevolent protection of us grateful sheep - without, needless to say, any consultation with us the sheep - after all it's not as if this is a democracy (translation: governement by *all* the people) - and even if it was do you really think sheep should be allowed to make decisions, what sort of mess would the country be in then???

wake up comp nerds, there's a world out there that is dangerous, life is dangerous and fragile, crossing the road, flying in a plane can and do kill - should we make them illegal?

Anyway this is philosophy - which will no doubt fall for the most part on deaf ears, I don't know why I bother - usually I don't.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:23 pm

bokka wrote:
The problem with all those arguments ("i cannot tell you how many have died due to speeding" etc - of course you can't since you don't know the details of the accidents ie what other factors were involved) .

No sorry but you can tell the difference between a car which has crashed at around the speed limit compared to one which was going 150ks.

Some of the equipment the cops have these days is mind boggling, they can tell how fast you were going by where you went off, how far the debris went from the car, damage to the car etc. So it's not like they're just taking a stab and going 'oh yeh they must have been speeding'

bokka wrote:
who by the way can be counted on to fall obediently in line with any new speed limit or in fact any other arbitrary new safety regulation put in place for the benevolent protection of us grateful sheep - without, needless to say, any consultation with us the sheep

as if they would make it 50ks on a freeway.

theyve only done that in areas where there are a lot of pedestrians. i reckon it should still be 60ks but theyre not going to make it 95ks in the suburbs.

bloody oath i'll fall into line with any new speed limit like a sheep, well i'll try to anyway, i will still reckon its bullshit, but id rather be a sheep then get a $125 fine! 3 of which ive already had.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:33 pm

I am going to throw a couple statistics to anyone that does not think speed kills. You can find these stats on www.atsb.gov.au/road/stats.
1. Characteristics of fatal crashes: Fatal crashes by speed limit.
May 2002 - Apr 2004: Up to 60, 31% / 65-95, 22.3% / 100+, 46.7%
2. Fatality Rates per 100,000 population, 1975 - 2002
1975 - 26.59
1990 - 13.66
1996 - 10.76
2002 - 8.72
What do these stats tell you? You have a much better chance of getting killed with speed and the speed limit has reduced the road toll from 25 years ago. Basically every stat backs up the fact that the road toll is dropping through these measures of slowing people down.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:48 pm

Interesting statistics. Sure you don’t work for the Government or the Police.

They seem to come across with the same rhetoric.

In 1975, most cars had Front disc brakes, rear drum brakes and no air bags.
Full steal chassis, which the impact on the driver in an accident is much worse than 2002 onwards.

In 2002 onwards, most cars have 4-wheel discs standard as well as ABS (Anti Lock Brakes) Dual air bags and in some cases traction control. Also 2002 onwards models the car is designed to absorb the impact of any crash to have less impact on drivers/passengers.

A 2002 onwards model car has better; handling can stop on a dime compared to 1975 model.

You were more likely to die in a 1975 model car due to it not having the safety features of a 2002 onwards model car.

We have been in a drought for the past 6 years therefore many less accidents occur. As soon as it rains we have a spike in car accidents.

Also you can add that the amount of registered vehicles in 2002 far exceeds that of 1975. So we therefore must be safer drivers.

What should be said is Cameron was doing 144KMH; he showed some control, as his XR6 is capable of doing way past 200kmh.

It's not the speed that kills it's the sudden stop.
droche 2004 Capricorn

Buckley My Pussy (cat)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:55 pm

spoljar wrote:
2. Fatality Rates per 100,000 population, 1975 - 2002
1975 - 26.59
1990 - 13.66
1996 - 10.76
2002 - 8.72
What do these stats tell you? You have a much better chance of getting killed with speed and the speed limit has reduced the road toll from 25 years ago. Basically every stat backs up the fact that the road toll is dropping through these measures of slowing people down.

I hear what your saying but what the stat’s don’t show you is how many people that were killed were pedestrians and from bikes (push and motor) etc

They all get added together and what they don’t consider is airbags, seat-belts so on
Since 1975 cars in general are safer, laws brought in to stop fatalities, helmets etc.
Drivers are trained better these days, with ads and education, drink driving dosnt happen as often.

You can really just look at the stats, because they are somewhat misleading they only give you a figure, if they broke it down and showed you how they died that’s a different story, even then would the introduction of seatbelts and airbags have prevented deaths?
Speed is only one aspect to the Death Toll.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:02 pm

Yeh I was thinking that too culprit, bout the safety cars have today. True, but if you wrap around something on one of the doors, frontal airbags wont help (obviously) and not many cars have side airbags.
Nothing will really help you in a rollover though.

Safety has come along way, but if you're speeding fast enough it won't help. It wouldn't be a lot of help in a prang at 144ks. Youve got a frontal airbag and crumple zones but the engine will come through the firewall easily. Providing you hit front on that is!
I think holden (it could be someone else) are designing an engine that goes downwards and under the car in a head on, not sure what stage its up to though.
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:33 pm

I understand that the stats dont give the whole story. If you want detail, go to the website. All I wanted to do was highlight that there are more people alive today as a result of a dropping road toll.
2954 people were killed in Australia on our roads in 1980 compared to 1525 today. That is 1429 more Mothers, Fathers, Brothers, Sisters, Friends etc etc alive today. The tragic part is that there are 1525 Mothers, Fathers etc that are not.
Slow down, dont drink and drive and take it easy out there.
It is better to get somewhere 5 minutes later than not there at all!!!
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:44 pm

Well, if you can save one life through speed limits and adhering to it, I would take it.

I'm sure most of you who say that speed limits doesn't save lives, would not say it, if the person killed was one of your own. It's all ok as long as it's someone else.

And if someone says that going at 144 km/h is safer than 100 km/h ... please don't waste our time - take your argument to the insanity forum.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:57 pm

So true foreigner, as long as you're not affected by it, its ok eh!
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:09 pm

spoljar wrote:
I am going to throw a couple statistics to anyone that does not think speed kills. You can find these stats on www.atsb.gov.au/road/stats.
1. Characteristics of fatal crashes: Fatal crashes by speed limit.
May 2002 - Apr 2004: Up to 60, 31% / 65-95, 22.3% / 100+, 46.7%

well there you have it spoljar, 65-90 contributes 22%, that's one in five.
AS you say that 1 in 5 represents people's wives, daughters and all the rest of the emotive stuff you put in, hundreds of them. Therefore you should not just be condemning CC and me, but the TAC for not reducing the state limit to 60k.
Why stop there? Another 30% - that's 1 in 3 - fatalities happen at under 60k, so of course the TAC is morally obliged to save those even more hundreds of wives, daughters, mothers etc by reducing the state speed limit to 30k - which is perhaps still a bit reckless since you could save even more by going down to 15k, but for the convenience of those selfish reckless people like me who still demand to be able to drive at 30k despite knowing that statistics "prove" it will cost precious lives, the TAC may be forced to agree to the still rather dangerous limit of 30k.

By your statistical argument, you have to agree with this, right? Or am i missing something? IF so, I am all ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: