Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Belief

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to forget Abrahams well, which is still in use today and up untill very recently the only place that spoke about king David was the bible but it is now widely acknowlegded that he is a verifiable person from history.
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:43 pm

"There is more proof of God existing than there is of UFOs existing."

Like what? Both are hearsay.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:57 pm

Archaeology is constantly finding evidences that support biblical references to all kinds of stuff. If you dare CQ, or anyone else for that matter get yourself a copy of Josh McDowells incredible and testable book Evidence That Demands A Verdict..... but I warn you if you have the guts to read it there is a good chance you will become a believer..................................I dare ya
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:09 pm

CQ wrote:
"Like what? Both are hearsay.

Over the years there have been many criticisms leveled against the Bible concerning its historical reliability. These criticisms are usually based on a lack of evidence from outside sources to confirm the Biblical record. Since the Bible is a religious book, many scholars take the position that it is biased and cannot be trusted unless we have corroborating evidence from extra-Biblical sources. In other words, the Bible is guilty until proven innocent, and a lack of outside evidence places the Biblical account in doubt.
This standard is far different from that applied to other ancient documents, even though many, if not most, have a religious element. They are considered to be accurate, unless there is evidence to show that they are not. Although it is not possible to verify every incident in the Bible, the discoveries of archaeology since the mid 1800s have demonstrated the reliability and plausibility of the Bible narrative. Here are some examples.

The discovery of the Ebla archive in northern Syria in the 1970s has shown the Biblical writings concerning the Patriarchs to be viable. Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine. The name "Canaan" was in use in Ebla, a name critics once said was not used at that time and was used incorrectly in the early chapters of the Bible. The word "tehom" ("the deep") in Genesis 1:2 was said to be a late word demonstrating the late writing of the creation story. "Tehom" was part of the vocabulary at Ebla, in use some 800 years before Moses. Ancient customs reflected in the stories of the Patriarchs have also been found in clay tablets from Nuzi and Mari.

The Hittites were once thought to be a Biblical legend, until their capital and records were discovered at Bogazkoy, Turkey. Many thought the Biblical references to Solomon's wealth were greatly exaggerated. Recovered records from the past show that wealth in antiquity was concentrated with the king and Solomon's prosperity was entirely feasible. It was once claimed there was no Assyrian king named Sargon as recorded in Isaiah 20:1, because this name was not known in any other record. Then, Sargon's palace was discovered in Khorsabad, Iraq. The very event mentioned in Isaiah 20, his capture of Ashdod, was recorded on the palace walls. What is more, fragments of a stela memorializing the victory were found at Ashdod itself.

Another king who was in doubt was Belshazzar, king of Babylon, named in Daniel 5. The last king of Babylon was Nabonidus according to recorded history. Tablets were found showing that Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son who served as coregent in Babylon. Thus, Belshazzar could offer to make Daniel "third highest ruler in the kingdom" (Dan. 5:16) for reading the handwriting on the wall, the highest available position. Here we see the "eye-witness" nature of the Biblical record, as is so often brought out by the discoveries of archaeology.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:40 pm

some of it is obviously true, such as places, of course they are going to make a story in a place they know of or live in, but some of the crap in there is clearly made up.
michael Aries

moo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:45 pm

no point in arguing..ive had enough posting here..you know my thoughts Smile

enjoy eternity, wherever you end up Smile
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:22 pm

good dont post then!!

funny that i will concede that there are some things true in the bible, yet yous wont concede that there is lies and bullshit in there as well.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:52 pm

Point out and verify a lie, show us and prove it.
DaicsTonguePoke Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:20 pm

Nuxta,

why don't you point out something that you KNOW to be truth. You keep going on about needing evidence to prove other peoples theories, yet you yourself have only been quoting the Bible to back you up, Which to me is NOT proof. I abide by a simple rule, treat others as you would expect to be treated and everyone would get along
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:47 pm

true that DTP, whats a quote, they cant PROVE anything, they rave deleriously about 'faith'.

as for lies nuxta, if jesus existed to start with he wouldnt have been perfect. and as i've said before, virgin mary.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:14 pm

DTP, the entire argument nuxta and co put up revolves around the phrase "prove me wrong".

They have faith that the bible is truth, yet to have that faith, one must take it that the bible is truth to begin with. A logical conundrum. Bit like Euclid's parallel postulate. A nice assumption, but doesn't stand up to any rigourous investigation.

tantum religio potuit suadere malorum
DaicsTonguePoke Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:34 pm

It's all a big brainwashing exercise to me
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:46 pm

DaicsTonguePoke wrote:
Nuxta,

why don't you point out something that you KNOW to be truth. You keep going on about needing evidence to prove other peoples theories, yet you yourself have only been quoting the Bible to back you up, Which to me is NOT proof. I abide by a simple rule, treat others as you would expect to be treated and everyone would get along

Read all the previous post dude there is a plethora of evidences in there.

CQ wrote:
as for lies nuxta, if jesus existed to start with he wouldnt have been perfect. and as i've said before, virgin mary.

On this particular topic it is an element of faith, but the simple fact is you cant prove it wrong.............not any of it at all.

And London Dave.....finally he speaks.

DaicsTonguePoke Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:00 pm

nuxta wrote:
DaicsTonguePoke wrote:
Nuxta,

Read all the previous post dude there is a plethora of evidences in there.

CQ wrote:

On this particular topic it is an element of faith, but the simple fact is you cant prove it wrong.............not any of it at all.

And London Dave.....finally he speaks.

I have read all the posts...... and then some. What I'm saying is you were not there to witness any of these things, so you're going by what others have written, and your 'belief'
Birdy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:02 pm

And how many of you have actually read the whole Bible? I doubt any of you have by the sounds of things. So how can you dismiss it as fairytale when you know very little about whats in it?

DTP your rule of treat others as you would expect to be treated is a very good rule and you'll actually find it in the Bible, along with many others.

London Dave, what rigorous investigation are you referring to? Do you mean your cut and paste job that didn't prove anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15   

Jump to: