Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lillie - McGrath is the greatest

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:15 am
Post subject: Lillie - McGrath is the greatestReply with quote

Lillee - "McGrath is the greatest"

Wisden Cricinfo staff

Glenn McGrath has been given the ultimate accolade as he prepares for his return to international cricket. None other than the legendary Dennis Lillee reckons he is possibly the greatest fast bowler in history.

McGrath, who has been out of action all season with an ankle injury, asked Lillee to oversee his final preparations. Lillee approved of what he saw, and even believes that McGrath's best years could be ahead of him. "He is probably the best quick we've seen for a long time - if not the best ever," Lillee said.

You can't write anyone off who has been that good over the years. You'd be stupid to. I have absolutely no doubt he'll be back - and he'll be as good, if not better."

Even before his injury crept in, McGrath had been aware of a flaw that was creeping into his effortlessly smooth action, and under the supervision of Lillee, he has made best use of his time off the treadmill of international cricket. "Glenn has never really had any problems with his action,"said Lillee, "but a couple of times over the years he has had a minor glitch which we have discussed and straight away he fixes it. He is very aware of what works for him and what doesn't."

McGrath, for his part, has scotched all talks that his career is drawing to a close. "I've looked at all my goals and I want to play the 2007 World Cup," he said. "I'll be 37 then and I believe right at my peak as a fast bowler. I'm definitely not thinking retirement. Combined with my strength and increased fitness levels, I reckon I've added 10km of pace, and I'm confident I can go around 140kph consistently now. It is all just coming together for me."

"You can never write anyone like Glenn off. There is more than just an injury there, it's what goes on in here," added Lillee, pointing to his heart. "You can lose fitness, you can lose confidence, but you don't lose a talent - and he has a talent. Like Imran Khan, there is no reason why Glenn can't go on until he is 39 or 40. "

cheers bryan..!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: