Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Golf-U.S. Masters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pies4ever Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:01 pm
Post subject: Golf-U.S. MastersReply with quote

Parry's on pace
By Bernie Pramberg at Augusta
April 6, 2004

CRAIG PARRY pronounced Augusta's famous greens as "the quickest in years" after playing 18 holes with former US PGA champion Wayne Grady yesterday.

Grady, a guest at the US Masters in his capacity as chairman of the Australasian PGA Tour, had not played the course since 1996, the year of Greg Norman's "meltdown" at the hands of Nick Faldo.

"It's still as magical as I remembered," said Grady.

And Parry, lining up for his eighth tilt at the green jacket, believes golf purists are in for a treat this week with a hard and fast Augusta layout in pristine condition. Wet conditions last year, and to a lesser extent in 2002, took the fire from the notorious greens and sodden fairways favoured the long hitters.

With clear skies and stiff breezes predicted for the next four days, the "real" Augusta is expected to challenge players at the Masters.

"It's been quite a few years since they've been this firm and fast," said Parry. "You just have to be below the hole out there.

"You're better off 60 feet below the hole than five feet above it. If you're above the hole you're likely to run 20 or 30 feet past with your putt.

"It's very tricky and you need a bit of local knowledge. If it stays like this I can't see anyone shooting really low. Maybe six or eight-under could win.

"It's in magnificent shape. I rate Augusta, St Andrews and Royal Melbourne as my three favourite courses in the world."

Parry, still dining out on the magnificent six-iron he holed to win the Ford Championship last month, played well yesterday and reached the par-five, 13th and 15th holes, easily in two.

"I struggled with my driver at the Players Championship, but was pleased with my game off the tee today," he said. "I hit a few draws, which is not my natural game, but it's handy at Augusta."

The major change to the course this year is on the par-four 11th hole where a row of 36 pine trees, each about 10m tall, has been planted down the right side of the fairway.

"My natural shot is to fade the ball, so the new trees probably come into play for me," said Parry.

The Courier-Mail

cheers bryan..!!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnie's Masters swansong

From correspondents in Augusta, Georgia - Fox

THE longest farewell in the game reaches its climax here this week when the "King of Golf" – Arnie Palmer, makes his final appearance at the Masters.

The 74-year-old, a four-time winner of the coveted Green Jacket, will be making his 50th consecutive appearance, a feat that will probably never be repeated.

Palmer bowed out in 2002, swearing that it would be his last ever Masters, but he was back again last year and the thought of making it 50 starts in a row was simply too much for the man who turned professional golf into a major popular sport.

"I think it's going to be exciting for me and it's going to be somewhat sentimental," said Palmer, who knows that his farewell salute will be on Friday.

Palmer's game has long slipped past the stage where he could consider making the cut.

"Kind of an opportunity to say goodbye to all the fans who have been so supportive over the past 50 years and have been the reason that I have played as long as I have," he said.

The festivities began today when Palmer was given the key to the city of Augusta and the day was declared Arnold Palmer Day by Georgia state governor Sonny Perdue.

Palmer admits that the Masters has a special meaning for him.

"Augusta was kind of built on the fact that the players kept coming back year after year...that was one of the best things that I think make the Masters what it is," he said.

"I can remember when I first started playing and went there to win, but saw people like Craig Wood, Gordon Smith, Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Hogan and Snead....that was important to me as a player.

"It was something that made Augusta different."

Palmer made his first trip down Magnolia Lane in 1955 when he finish tied for 10th. Three years later he won his first Masters title and his first Major.

In the next six years he won three more times to become the first player to ever win the championship four times.

His most controversial victory, his first, came in 1958.

In his latest book Ken Venturi has accused Palmer of breaking the rules.

On the par three 12th Palmer flew the green and the ball plugged. Uncertain if he was allowed relief he played the ball and carded a double bogey five.

He then played a second ball and parred the hole.

Two holes later he was told the second ball score would count and he went on to win by a shot.

"There is no doubt in my heart that it was a three," said Palmer. "It was just a matter of the officials having to make a decision and I thought I had a three. I wanted to protect myself, though, and that's the reason I played both balls, so there could be no question one way or the other."

But Venturi, who was playing with Palmer, alleges Arnie did not declare he was going to play a second ball until he made his double bogey.

"Nobody, not even Palmer, is bigger than the game," said Venturi. "I firmly believe that he did wrong and that he knows that I know he did wrong."

Venturi's claim has slightly soured Palmer's 50th outing.

But few people in golf believe that Palmer would knowingly do anything wrong.

When Palmer's Army lines up along the 18th fairway on Friday to say their final farewells, the 1958 "affair" will be the last thing on their mind.

And Palmer will take a record time to march up the 18th as he crosses from side to side to personally say goodbye to his troops.

"Hell, they have been with me so long I know most of them by name now," he laughed.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:13 pm

Playing at Augusta at 74 years of age - what a champion!

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:03 pm

The Aussie challengers

ROBERT ALLENBY
World ranking: 18
Previous Masters: 4

Best finish: T29th (2002)
Best 2004 result: T4 Honda Classic
Last five US Tour starts: T33, MC, T4, T17, T15
US PGA Tour victories: 4
Centrebet: $51

STUART APPLEBY
World ranking: 9
Previous Masters: 7
Best finish: T21 (1997)
Best 2004 result: 1st Mercedes Championship
Last five US Tour starts: MC, 2, T17, 3, T40
US PGA Tour victories: 5
Centrebet: $34

NICK FLANAGAN
World ranking: 494
Previous Masters: 0
Best 2004 result T3rd ANZ Championship
Last US Tour start: MC
US PGA Tour victories: 0
Centrebet: $401

STEPHEN LEANEY
World ranking: 31
Previous Masters: 0
Best 2004 result: 4th WGC World Matchplay.
Last five US Tour starts: MC, 72, 4, MC, T21
Centrebet: $101

PETER LONARD
World ranking: 34
Previous Masters: 1
Best finish: missed cut
Best 2004 result: 5th BellSouth Classic
Last five US Tour starts: 5, MC, MC, T34, T17
Centrebet: $67

CRAIG PARRY
World ranking: 33
Previous Masters: 7
Best finish: T13 (1992)
Best 2004 result: 1st Ford Championship
Last five US Tour starts: T13, MC, T36, 1, T54
US PGA Tour victories: 2
Centrebet: $101

ADAM SCOTT
World ranking: 12
Previous Masters: 2
Best finish: T9 (2002)
Best 2004 result: 1st TPC Championship
Last five US Tour starts: MC, 1, T3, T9, MC, 7
US PGA Tour victories: 2
Centrebet: $21

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:42 pm

Aussie win not pie-in-sky

By Robert Lusetich - Fox

IT is not in the realm of the impossible that next year, past champions at this hallowed place will be feasting at their annual dinner on meat pies.

For the first time since Greg Norman's last fling at a green jacket, in 1998, there is a palpable sense that the US Masters, which begins on Friday morning (AEST), could have its first Australian winner, who would then have the honour of choosing the menu at the champions' dinner next year.

"You've got to go with meat pies and dead horse and pavlova for dessert," said Adam Scott, deservedly among the favourites after his remarkable victory at The Players Championship two weeks ago. "Maybe we'll throw in some sausage rolls to give them an option."

Another who should not be discounted after his memorable win at Doral, Craig Parry joked: "That'd really fix 'em up here, wouldn't it?"

Eight Australians have won one of golf's four glittering prizes, but Augusta has remained as elusive as ever. Seven men, all ranked in the top 40 in the world, will be trying to change that.

"I've been saying for ages that we're close (to winning a major)," Robert Allenby said. "Look at the way the Aussies have been playing this year.

"We're close and to tell you the truth, I really think this is going to be the year of the Aussies in golf."

Augusta National was playing hard and fast yesterday for the first time since the course was stretched three years ago. If the conditions stay like that during the tournament, it will benefit the Australians.

"We grew up in these sorts of conditions," Allenby said. "You grow up playing Royal Melbourne in the middle of summer and you know how to play courses that are hard and fast with rock-hard greens. It's second nature to us."

Of the Australians, perhaps only US Amateur champion Nick Flanagan's goals are less lofty.

"Top 30 is what I'm looking at, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I just really want to go out there and enjoy the week," Flanagan said, still on a high after Monday's practice round with his boyhood hero Tiger Woods.

Newly installed at number 12 in the world rankings, Scott - who tied for ninth his first time here and followed up with a tie for 23rd last year - is brimming with confidence and judging by the number of journalists wanting to talk to him yesterday, he is not alone in believing that he has a legitimate chance here.

"I actually think it's nice that people think that," he said, "They're respecting my game and that's nice, but I always say the pressure anyone else puts on me is not more than I put on myself."

Peter Lonard wants to atone for his dreadful performance on debut last year - he shot 78-82 in missing the cut - and is heartened by a top-five finish at the weekend in Atlanta after a seven-week layoff with a rib injury.

"I practised my arse off for the last three weeks and it seems to have fallen into place," Lonard said.

Parry, too, liked the firm and fast conditions.

"Actually, this is how it was in '92 (when he led after the third round)," he said.

Allenby, who has made the cut in each of the past three years without really contending, said he finally felt confident in his play.

"I've been playing okay but I just haven't put the results on the board yet this year," he said.

It is to Scott, though, that most Australian eyes will turn over the Easter weekend.

"I'd love to be the first Aussie to win around here," he said. "I think it would be a huge breakthrough for Australian golf."

And a huge eye-opener for the past champions: imagine Jack Nicklaus asking Arnold Palmer to pass the tomato sauce, er, ketchup.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:23 pm

Rose refuses to wilt

By Erskine McCullough at Augusta, Georgia - Fox

ENGLAND'S Justin Rose remained firmly atop the Masters leaderboard today after adding a second round one-under 71 to his opening five-under 67.

That put the 23-year-old at six-under 138 and two shots clear of two-time Masters champion Jose Maria Olazabal and Germany's Alex Cejka.

It was a solid performance from Rose, who refused to wilt as playing partner Chris DiMarco began putting the heat on him.

The American began two shots back but by the time they reached the turn they were suddenly all-square. Yet it was DiMarco who faded, dropping four shots on the inward nine.

"I gave myself a lot of birdie chances and I didn't have to put myself under a lot of pressure," said a pleased Rose.

"I stuck to my task and played pretty solidly. I'm just enjoying sort of playing well."

Olazabal began eyeing the prospect of collecting his third green jacket when he shot a three-under second round 69.

Olazabal began the day one-under and was still one-under when he reached the turn, but an eagle at the par-five 13 followed by two straight birdies saw him soar up the leaderboard.

Even a disappointing bogey on 18 could not take the smile off his face.

"It was a quiet round until 13. I hit two great shots to the green and sank a 40 foot putter," said the Spaniard, the winner at Augusta in 1994 and 1999.

Before the tournament, Olazabal admitted he was not happy with his game and despite being on the leaderboard he was still not happy.

"It will take more than two solid rounds to make me feel more confident. It will take a longer spell," he said.

Cejka carded a two-under 70 to match Olazabal in second.

Earlier, South Korea's K.J. Choi shot himself into the Masters record book when he covered his second round outward nine in a sizzling six-under 30.

The 33-year-old dropped four shots on the way back, but he still finished with a two-under 70 to be three under for the championship and only three behind Rose.

Choi's outward 30 had him seven-under for the championship, two shots clear of the field as he began the inward nine.

Only two other players have ever shot 30 over the Augusta National Golf Club's first nine - American Johnny Miller in 1975 and Australian Greg Norman in 1996.

Choi made the most of the ideal conditions as he reeled off six birdies from the second hole onward.

South African Ernie Els was among a host of players at two-under after two rounds.

The former British and US Open champion started the day two-under, but instead of picking up shots he began slipping down the leaderboard.

By the seventh hole he was level par but then got himself to three-under before dropping another shot to end the day where he began.

"I'm not getting the big shots," complained Els.

"I'm not making the long putts, I'm not getting anything going. I've just been plugging away. I'm hitting it nicely. I'm not sure what's missing."

Charles Howell, Freddie Couples and Davis Love, who had a second round five-under 67, were also two-under.

Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke dropped off the leaderboard when he dropped three shots in two holes going out.

Tiger Woods shot a three-under 69 to go level for the tournament after his opening 75.

"I'm still here," Woods said. "I'm really excited. Today was a day where I knew I had to get myself back into it and make some birdies. I played really well. I made some good golf shots and gave myself some good looks.

"It was playing very difficult," Woods said.

"`I just hung in there and gave myself a chance. I knew if I could make it to even par I would be in good shape. I got that momentum back on the back nine and made some good shots."

Four-time Masters champion Arnold Palmer played his 50th consecutive and final Masters. The 74-year-old got a standing ovation as he walked onto the 18th green for the final time.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:32 pm

Mickelson eyes first major

From Andrew Both in Augusta, Georgia - Fox

PHIL Mickelson may never have a better chance to break his major duck after earning a share of the third round lead with fellow American Chris DiMarco at the 68th US Masters in Augusta, Georgia today.

Mickelson, who is 0-46 in the majors, despite his undisputed ability and 22 US Tour victories, charged to the front with a bogey-free three-under-par 69 in brilliant sunshine at Augusta National.

DiMarco also had an unblemished card, shooting 68 to join Mickelson at six-under-par 210 with one round left.

They are two strokes clear of young Englishman Paul Casey (6Cool, while German Bernhard Langer (69), South African Ernie Els (71) and South Korean KJ Choi (72) are three behind.

Halfway leader Justin Rose crashed out of contention with a shocking 81 that left him nine shots behind with Tiger Woods, whose recent major woes continued with a limp 75.

The Australian charge never left the runway as Stuart Appleby and Stephen Leaney, who started the day nine strokes behind, ended it 11 shots back in a tie for 26th after each shooting 73.

Mickelson has been in contention in many majors, but this is the first time he has shared the lead with one round left.

"I still feel I need to shoot a low round but the nice thing is I'm not trying to catch a guy from four or five back," he said.

"Being in the lead, I can keep my same patient game plan and try to make a few birdies here and there.

"The nice thing the whole year is I'm keeping the ball in play and it just makes the game so much easier. It feels like a whole different game.

"It's been a tough hurdle for me but I feel that every major is a wonderful opportunity. For whatever reason, it's been much more difficult for me to win major championships than regular tour events."

DiMarco, a three-time winner on the US Tour, described Mickelson as a friend, but nonetheless said: "He's going to have a lot of pressure on him too, because he's got to try to get that monkey off.

"I need to worry about myself, not what he's doing (but) the course obviously suits his game."

Casey, in his Masters debut, surprised almost everyone except himself.

"This is a tournament I would dearly love to win," he said.

"I've put too much pressure on myself in the past. I've almost tried too hard. Although I'm trying as hard as I possibly can, I'm relaxed this week, and that's the key. I'm enjoying showing the US crowds what I can do."

Meanwhile, Appleby made a solid start, but two double bogeys on the back nine ended any slight chance he had of making a move.

He misjudged his six-iron at the 11th and pulled his ball into the pond, while at the par-four 14th he also missed the green left and took four more to hole out.

Even an eagle at the par-five 15th, where he almost holed a six-iron, proved too little, too late.

"I wanted to get two days under 70 and I've only got one left," said Appleby, who at least felt better physically after being under the weather on Friday.

"My head felt like lead but I had more energy today. My swing felt okay."

Leaney compiled four birdies, but a double bogey at the last left a nasty taste in his mouth.

Third round scores (USA unless noted):

210: Chris DiMarco 69-73-68, Phil Mickelson 72-69-69212: Paul Casey (ENG) 75-69-68

213: Bernhard Langer (GER) 71-73-69, Ernie Els (RSA) 70-72-71, K.J. Choi (KOR) 71-70-72

214: Kirk Triplett 71-74-69

215: Fredrik Jacobson (SWE) 74-74-67

216: Padraig Harrington (IRE) 74-74-68, Stewart Cink 74-73-69, Nick Price (ZIM) 72-73-71, Jay Haas 69-75-72, Fred Couples 73-69-74, Davis Love 75-67-74

217: Vijay Singh (FIJ) 75-73-69

218: Retief Goosen (RSA) 75-73-70, Mark O'Meara 73-70-75, Charles Howell 71-71-76, Alex Cejka (GER) 70-70-78

219: Casey Wittenberg 76-72-71, Jerry Kelly 74-72-73, Sergio Garcia (SPA) 72-72-75, Tiger Woods 75-69-75, Jose Maria Olazabal (SPA) 71-69-79, Justin Rose (ENG) 67-71-81

220: Shaun Micheel 72-76-72, Justin Leonard 76-72-72, Stuart Appleby (AUS) 73-74-73, Paul Lawrie (SCO) 77-70-73, Stephen Leaney (AUS) 76-71-73, Phillip Price (WAL) 71-76-73, Bob Tway 75-71-74, Steve Flesch 76-67-77

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:05 pm

Mickelson wins Masters

From correspondents in Augusta - Fox

PHIL Mickelson has won the 68th Masters with a dramatic last-hole birdie to beat Ernie Els by a single stroke.
In one of the most electrifying final nine-hole battles even seen over the famed Augusta National Golf Club, the two men battled it out firing birdies and eagles but it was Mickelson who snatched victory.

It was an emotional moment for the 33-year-old who was playing in his 47th major championship. Finally he had rid himself of the tag of the best player never to have won a major.

"All through the round I kept telling myself, 'This is my day. Today is the day,"' Mickelson said. "It's an amazing feeling."

He was also only the fourth player in Masters history to win the championship with a birdie on the 72nd hole.

Mickelson had to draw on all his courage as he suddenly found himself three off the lead as he walked to the 12th green after Els eagled the par-five 13th.

But Mickelson never flinched - drilling his birdie putt to close the gap.

He then carded back-to-back birdies to move to within one of the charging South African.

A birdie on the treacherous par-three 16th tied him for the lead and Mickelson had his eyes firmly fixed on the green jacket he so desperately wanted.

With Els in the clubhouse at eight-under, Mickelson drove into prime position on the 18th. His approach went 20 feet behind the flag but then playing partner Chris DiMarco gave Mickelson the break of the tournament.

He put his ball on the exact same line and was putting first.

As fellow American DiMarco's putt slipped past, Mickelson quickly ran across the green to see the path taken by DiMarco's putt.

Lesson learned, Mickelson hit the birdie putt true and as it vanished into the hole he jumped with joy.

He had finally won a major.

Els was gracious in defeat.

"It's hard to explain how I feel now. I had a good shot at it. I was playing good, played well. Phil beat me. He made a great putt there. It is a tough hole. He deserved to win.

"We both knew the shots we needed to do. He made some birdies coming in. He deserved to win. It just didn't work out for me," he said.

Els had watched Mickelson play his second to the 18th, sitting beside the green, eating an apple.

He then went off to the practice putting green in case of a playoff. But in the end it wasn't necessary.

Complete final-round scores here Sunday from the 68th Masters at Augusta National Golf Club (USA unless noted):

279 - Phil Mickelson 72-69-69-69
280 - Ernie Els (RSA) 70-72-71-67
282 - K.J. Choi (KOR) 71-70-72-69
285 - Sergio Garcia (SPA) 72-72-75-66, Bernhard Langer (GER) 71-73-69-72
286 - Vijay Singh (FIJ) 75-73-69-69, Fred Couples 73-69-74-70, Davis Love 75-67-74-70, Nick Price (ZIM) 72-73-71-70, Kirk Triplett 71-74-69-72, Paul Casey (ENG) 75-69-68-74, Chris DiMarco 69-73-68-76
288 - Casey Wittenberg 76-72-71-69, Charles Howell 71-71-76-70, Retief Goosen (RSA) 75-73-70-70, Padraig Harrington (IRE) 74-74-68-72
289 - Steve Flesch 76-67-77-69, Stephen Leaney (AUS) 76-71-73-69, Jay Haas 69-75-72-73, Stewart Cink 74-73-69-73, Fredrik Jacobson (SWE) 74-74-67-74
290 - Stuart Appleby (AUS) 73-74-73-70, Justin Rose (ENG) 67-71-81-71, Shaun Micheel 72-76-72-70, Tiger Woods 75-69-75-71
291 - Alex Cejka (GER) 70-70-78-73
292 - Bob Tway 75-71-74-72, Mark O'Meara 73-70-75-74
293 - Scott Verplank 74-71-76-72
294 - Jose Maria Olazabal (SPA) 71-69-79-75
295 - Brad Faxon 72-76-76-71, Ian Poulter (ENG) 75-73-74-73, Bob Estes 76-72-73-74, Jerry Kelly 74-72-73-76
296 - Phillip Price (WAL) 71-76-73-76, Justin Leonard 76-72-72-76
297 - Sandy Lyle (SCO) 72-74-75-76, Paul Lawrie (SCO) 77-70-73-77
298 - Eduardo Romero (ARG) 74-73-74-77
299 - Todd Hamilton 77-71-76-75
300 - Tim Petrovic 72-75-75-78, Brandt Snedeker 73-75-75-77
302 - Jeff Sluman 73-70-82-77
304 - Chris Riley 70-78-78-78

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: